Tibberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish of Tibberton includes: Evelench
Alternative names: Tibritton and Tidbrightingtone
Parish Church: St. Peter ad Vincula
Parish registers begin: 1680
The church was rebuilt in 1868 at a cost of £1,190, and now consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and wooden bell-turret with a spirelet at the west end. It is in the Early English style of architecture, from the designs of W. J. Hopkins, Esq. of Worcester; date of consecration, June 2nd, 1868.
Tibberton, a parish, with a village, in Droitwich district, Worcestershire; 2 miles N of Spetchley r. station, and 3¾ ENE of Worcester. It has a post-office under Droitwich. Acres, 1,320. Real property, £2,131. Pop., 309. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Bredicot. The church is of the 13th century.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Tibberton (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Newport (sic Droitwich?), Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (ENE) from Worcester; containing 339 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1202a. 1r. 26p., of land: some of the inhabitants are employed in making gloves for the Worcester manufacturers. The Gloucester and Birmingham railway passes through the parish, and the Birmingham and Worcester canal along the north-western boundary. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester (the appropriators), valued in the king’s books at £3. 15. 10.; net income, £132. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1810; the glebe contains 72 acres. The church was repewed and beautified in 1841. There is a place of worship for Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Tibberton – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 3 ½ miles N.E. from Worcester, and 115 from London; containing 55 inhabited houses; Rev. T. Price, incumbent; instituted 1794; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 208 – 1811, 250 – 1821, 288.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Tibberton lies to the east of the city, and is an extensive parish, in which, much to the credit of its inhabitants, enclosures upon a very large scale are now taking place; the public and private roads throughout which are designed upon such a liberal plan, as must ultimately tend much to the advantage of the neighbourhood. It contains nothing remarkable, but we must not omit two strange stories preserved by Mr. Fellowes, Vicar of Tibberton, in 1718, in his MS. Account of the parish. One is of a Roger Tandy, who was so very strong, that, whilst at Sir John Pakington’s, at Westwood, in the reign of James I he took up a hogshead of beer, and having drunk out of the bunghole, set it down on the ground again, by the mere strength of his arms, without even resting it on his knee, or elsewhere. The other is a kind of cotemporary story with the narrator, for Hugh Pescod, commonly called the “little Turk,” who was alive in his day, declared upon his oath, that, as for as he was capable of judging, he was hanged up by the neck for half an hour in a pear-tree near Tibberton, by Oliver Cromwell’s troops, in August, 1651. Being afterwards cut down, and thrown into a saw-pit, he recovered; in memory of which he planted several elm-trees near his orchard! It would have been more appropriate indeed to have planted a row of pear-trees; but probably he had taken a distaste to them!
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Tibberton (anciently Tibritton and Tidbrightingtone) is a pretty village and parish, 4 miles N.E. of Worcester, and 4 S. of Droitwich; in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; poor-law union of Droitwich; petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; polling district of Broughton Hackett; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £2,701; area of parish, 1,320 acres; population in 1861, 309; in 1871, 332, with 73 inhabited houses, and 82 families or separate occupiers. The Midland railway passes through the parish from N. to S., and the Worcester and Birmingham canal intersects it. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, having succeeded to the estates of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, and Robert Berkeley, Esq. of Spetchley park is the principal landowner. The other landowners are J. J. Wilson, Esq., Miss E. Baylis, Mr. J. Hall, and the Executors of the late T. G. Smith, Esq. Tibberton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Worcester East; living a vicarage, consolidated with the rectory of Bredicot ; joint value, £262; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; vicar Rev. William Major Kingsmill, M.A., Jesus College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1865, and resides at Bredicot rectory. The old church, dedicated to St. Peter ad Vincula, was appropriated to the Prior and Convent of Worcester in the year 1314. It was rebuilt in 1868 at a cost of £1,190, and now consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and wooden bell-turret with a spirelet at the west end. It is in the Early English style of architecture, from the designs of W. J. Hopkins, Esq. of Worcester; date of consecration, June 2nd, 1868. A new national school, with residence for the mistress, was built in 1872-1873 by subscription. The site was given by the late T. G. Smith, Esq., and the Vicar; the building is of a simple but substantial character. Evelench is half a mile E. of the village.
Postal Regulations. – Mrs. Smith, Sub – Postmistress. Letters are received through Droitwich, and arrive at 9.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4. 25 p.m. Droitwich and Worcester we the nearest money-order and telegraph offices. Post town, Droitwich.
Parish Church (St. Peter ad Vincula) – Rev. William Major Kingsmills, M. A.’ Vicar; Mr. Edward Featherstone, Churchwarden; Henry Adams, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss S. Humphriss Mistress
Kingsmill Mrs., The Vicarage
Adams Henry, wheelwright & parish clerk
Baylis Miss Elizabeth, farmer Rectory fm.
Buford James, carpenter
Curnock John, frmr. & dealer, Court end
Featherstone Edward, farmer, Old house
Godard Alfred W., corn, coal, and lime merchant, brick, tile, and drain-pipe manufacturer, dealer in artificial manures, hay, straw, timber, petroleum, &c. The Lodge; lime and stone works, Himbleton, brick and pipe works, Oddingley
Godard Rawson Henry, farmer, Evidence farm; and at Himbleton
Hanson Thomas, threshing-machine proprietor, Lawn farm
Hartwright Mrs. H., farmer, Ravenshill
Humphriss Miss S., schoolmistress
Munslow George, blacksmith
Paddock Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper
Phipps John, Plough Inn
Phipps H., farmer, Moor End farm
Seeney James, Bridge Inn
Smith Jas., bricklr. And builder, Shrub vil.
Smith Mrs., sub-postmistress
Tandy William, boot and shoe maker
Trevis Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Turner Mr., commercial traveller
Wilson John Joseph, farmer, Gordon’s farm; res., The Mordaunts, Crowle, Worcester
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Tibberton is a small but somewhat scattered parish, situated about 4 miles N.E. of Worcester, the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway passing through it, and contained a population of 329 inhabitants in 1851.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter ad Vincula, was appropriated to the Prior and Convent of Worcester in the year 1314. the living is subject to the jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter. Tibberton and Bredicot, being both of small income, have recently been united into one living, by an act of parliament for increasing small and dividing large livings. Rev. Philip S. Ashworth, Rector. There is no appointed Clerk at the time we write. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately with Bredicot.
Adams Henry, wheelwright
Baylis Elizabeth, farmer, Rectory Farm
Boulter John, farmer, Eves Lench
Burford James, carpenter and shopkeeper
Chambers James, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Bridge Inn
Cole Samuel, butcher
Curnock Sarah, victualler, The Plough
Feather stone Joseph, farmer, The Old House; also of Bredicot and the Ivy House
Hartwright John, farmer, Ravenshill
Hughes William, farmer, Gordon’s Farm
Matthews Edward, farmer
Munslow George, blacksmith
Packwood Thomas, farmer, Moor End
Paddock Thomas, mason and shopkeeper
Parkes John, farmer, Court End
Smith James, mason
Tandy Thomas, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Navigation Inn
Turner Henry, shoe maker
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Tibberton, 3 miles from Worcester, containing 36 houses, and 208 inhabitants.
Allen J. shopkeeper
Brooke Henry, farmer
Colwall James, victualler
Crump John, farmer
Featherston James, coal merchant
Hartwright John, farmer
Lloyd Wm. farmer
Lloyd John, farmer
Price John. Farmer
Smith Robert, farmer
Wainwright Mrs. gent
Wheeler James, farmer
Wilmot Charles, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820