Stourport a market and post town of England, in Worcestershire, situated on the junction of the Stour and Severn, approached through Upper Mitton, formerly a part of Hartlebury parish, generally centered around the road from the iron bridge over the Severn, which passed northward through Bridge Street, High Street and Lombard Street, and reached the north end of the town in Foundry Street. In 1863 Lower Mitton with Stourport adopted the Local Government Act of 1858, uniting to form a local board of health, and in 1894 Lower and Upper Mitton were combined in the single urban district of Stourport. Large iron and carpet works were built on the banks of the Stour. The iron bridge was erected about 1870 to replace one which dated from about 1806.
Alternative names: Stourport on Severn
Markets: Wednesdays and Saturdays
Fairs: first Tuesday of April, July, and Oct
Trade & Manufacturing: a very large tannery, an iron foundry, and establishments for worsted-spinning, carpet-weaving, vinegar-making, and malting. It had also a trade in hops, corn, and apples in the autumn.
Stourport, a market and post town of England, in Worcestershire, situated on the Stour, near its junction with the Severn, 10 miles N.W. from Worcester. The Severn is crossed here by a handsome iron bridge. The only public buildings in the town are the church, a chapel for Wesleyans, and a reading-room. Manf. Carpets, leather, and cast-iron goods. The town owes its existence to the formation of the Trent and Severn Canal, which terminates in a basin at Stourport. A very extensive trade is carried on here in coals from the Staffordshire and Worcestershire collieries. It has also a trade in hops, corn, and apples in the autumn. Mar. D. Wed. Pop. 2958. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Severn Valley branch of the Great Western Railway, between Worcester and Shrewsbury.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
Stourport, a small town in Lower Mitton chapelry, Worcester; at the confluence of the rivers Stour and Severn, at the terminus of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal, and on the Severn Valley railway, 4 miles SSW of Kidderminster. It originated in 1770; presents a neat and clean appearance; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and has a head post-office, a r. station, a banking office, a town hall improved in 1866, a police station, an iron bridge 150 feet in span, a church, two dissenting chapels, a literary and scientific institution, and two national schools. Markets are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays; fairs are held on the first Tuesday of April, July, and Oct.; a considerable transit traffic is carried on; and there are a very large tannery, an iron foundry, and establishments for worsted-spinning, carpet-weaving, vinegar-making, and malting. See Mitton (Lower).
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Stourport – a market town in the chapelry of Lower-Mitton, and hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 4 miles from Kidderminster, 11 from Worcester, and 122 from London; containing 483 inhabited houses. This town owes its existence to the junction of the Staffordshire canal with the Severn, which was completed in the year 1770, at an expense of £105,000. It enters the county at Wolverley, and has nine locks, with a fall of 90 feet, and is constructed for boats about seventy feet long and seven broad, from twenty to twenty-four tons each. The first bason was begun in 1768 and finished 1771; others have since been added, and Stourport has now become the principal depot of communication between the manufacturing and western parts of the kingdom. The streets are well paved, and most of the houses are well built and commodious; and the number of wharfs, warehouses, &c. gives it much the appearance of a small sea-port town. The bridge over the Severn is of iron, built by founders in the neighbourhood. It has a single arch, with a span of about 150 feet, and its perpendicular height 50. The avenues to it consist of a number of smaller ones, built of brick, extending on each side a sufficient distance beyond the bounds of the flood water-way. The former bridge, which was built of stone, was carried away in consequence of a sudden thaw, after a heavy snow and severe frost, which occasioned a great flood, accompanied with large quantities of ice. The market is on Wednesday, at which considerable business is done in the hop trade, during the three last months of the year. Population, including the whole of Lower-Mitton, 1801, 1603 – 1811, 2352 – 1821, 2544.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Stourport, ten miles from Worcester, is a well built handsome village, and has several elegant inns and shops in it. Here resides Thomas Walwyn and William Winnall, Attorneys; and Mr. Jukes, Surgeon and Apothecary. This village derives an important advantage from its navigable communication to most parts of the kingdom, whereby the great expence incurred by land-carriage is avoided, and the heaviest products conveyed to the most remote distance, without a material addition to their original price. From the canal there is a junction with the grand line running along the pottery in Staffordshire, and thence extending to Manchester and Liverpool, from whence there is a communication with the Trent to Gainsborough, Hull, York, &c. The manufacturers at Birmingham derive great advantage from this canal, having the conveyance of their goods by water-carriage to the principal ports of the British Ocean, the Irish Sea, and St. Georges Channel. The bason was opened in 1771, after an expence of 105,000l and the bridge across the Severn, consisting of three main arches over the river, and forty-nine upon land to make the approaches, was made passable in 1775; it cost 5000l but by an inundation, in 1794, one of the main arches was blown up by the flood, on which account a temporary bridge is erected. The convenient wharfs and warehouses are very well adapted for merchants and wharfingers. The proprietors of the canal here are authorised to demand the rate of three halfpence for each ton, as tonnage for a mile, for all goods navigated, except articles for the improvement of land.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Stourport, a market Town, situated upon the east bank of the Severn. A few years since this town was almost a barren sandy heath, till the junction of the Staffordshire Canal with the Severn was formed at this place, which from an insignificant village, is now become a neat and handsome town. New buildings are continually springing up, and its wharfs, extensive bosons, and busy traffic, present a lively picture of a little seaport.
By means of the Canal from this place there is an easy communication with most parts of the north, Manchester, Liverpool, &c. The manufacturers of Birmingham and the adjacent towns derive great advantage from having their heaviest products conveyed by water to the principal seaports in the kingdom, without any material addition to their original price. The first bason was opened in 1771, after an expence of £105,000.
A considerable trade is carried inhere in coals, corn, hops, and fruit. The houses in general are well built and the population upwards of 2,000. Market on Wednesday for all kinds of provisions. Fairs, March 27, September 14, and December 18.
Allen William, Tailor, High street
Ames J. G. and Co. Canal Carriers
Ames and Jones, Wharfingers, Trow Owners and Severn Carriers
Baldwin, Son and Co. Iron Foundry
Ball Thomas, Vict. Bridge Inn, Bridge street
Bannister William, Chemist and Druggist, York street
Barnett Samuel, Maltster, New street
Barnett, Meaby, Burnett, and Co. Trow Owners, Wharfingers and General Carriers
Barnett Thomas, Iron Merchant, Mart lane
Barnett John, Barge Owner, High street
Bateman S. J. Tea Dealer, High street
Bates Joseph, Waterman, High street
Baynham John, Shoemaker, Bridge street
Beaman Thomas, Grocer, High street
Belsham G. Severn Owner, Bridge street
Belsham and Reynolds, Trow Owners and Severn Carriers
Best Thomas, Shopkeeper, High street
Bickley, Danks, and Co. Canal Carriers
Bird John, Boat and Barge Builder, Bridge st.
Bird John, Plumber and Glazier, High street
Bird William, Vict. Bell Inn, Church street
Bishop William, Tailor & Habit Maker, High st.
Blundell T. Corn Dealer and Miller
Bore John, Plumber and Glazier, High street
Broad Henry, Maltster and Baker
Busby Thomas, Ironmonger and Builder, Bridge street
Cattell William, Corn Dealer
Carey Misses, Bridge street
Carter Robert, Shoe Maker, High street
Coley Joseph, Brazier, High street
Cooper William, Wool and Spinning Manufactory
Corker Charles, Boat Builder, York street
Cresswell James, Commercial School, York street
Crump John, Cooper, High street
Danks S. and Co. Canal Carriers
Davis Rev. David
Davis Thomas, Skinner
Dewsbury Benj. Salt Warehouse & Severn Owner
Edwards S. Straw Bonnet Maker, High street
Edwards J. Shoe Maker, York street
Fenton Joseph, Hair Dresser, High street
Firmstone Joseph, Coal Merchant, Lichfield st.
Gill Thomas, Corn Dealer, New street
Goodman Thomas, Cooper, Church street
Green John, Wood Turner, Bridge street
Greensill Edward, Coal Merchant, High street
Harris Richard, Tailor and Draper, High street
Harrison T. Baker, York street
Heath Matthew, Canal Carrier, Wharfinger and Coal Merchant
Heath, Tyler, and Danks, General Carriers
Hepworth T. and J. Burge Builders
Hill W. and R. Drapers and Tea Dealers, High st.
Hill Ann, Gentlewoman, High street
Hinton C. Milliner and Dress Maker, Lichfield street
Holt William, Cabinet Maker
Howell Richard, Vict. Red Lion
Hudson John, Currier, New street
Jeff John, Grocer and Tea Dealer, High street
Jeffreys Joseph, Boat Builder, New street
Jukes and Watson, Surgeons, High street
Kerby William, Druggist and Grocer, York street
Kerby Mrs. Widow, Mart lane
Knight James, Tailor and Draper, Bridge street
Lane John, Vict. Lord Nelson, York street
Lashford John, Shoe Maker, High street
Lewty Edmund, Post Master, High street
Little Henry, Baker, Bridge street
Lowe Joseph, Perfumer and Hair Dresser, Bridge street
Lowe Mrs. Straw Bonnet Maker, Bridge street
Miles William, Waterman, Mart Lane
Moore Joseph, Saddler
Morris George, Shoe Maker, High street
Morris John, Vict. Black Star, Church street
Muskin Charles, Butcher, High street
Mytton William, Mercer and Draper, Bridge st.
Nichols Richard, Vict. Union, Lichfield street
Nicholson George, Printer and Bookseller, Bridge street
Nicklin Daniel, Blacksmith, High street
Northall W. K. Academy, New street
Owen and Co. Grocers and Ironmongers, Bridge street
Owen John, Gent. New street
Palmer Samuel, Gent. Church street
Palmer John, Vict. White Lion, Church street
Parkins George, Woolstapler, Mart lane
Perks John Wood, Farmer, Tichney
Philpot Thomas, Traveller, New street
Pidduck Joseph, Draper and Mercer, Bridge st.
Pitt Joseph, Timberley, Gent.
Pyndar Rev. Reginald, Areley house
Raine Thomas, Plaisterer, Bridge st
Rice John, Coal Dealer, Foundry street
Rowley Levi, Coal Merchant, Bridge street
Rowley J. & J. Timber Merchants, Bridge street
Rowley William, Grocer, New street
Russell and Webb, Coal Merchants, Mart lane
Saddler Thomas, Vict. Hop-pole, York street
Shaw Thomas, Vict. Swan Inn, High street
Shaw Joseph, Hatter, York street
Smith Edward, Timber Merchant, High street
Smith Jesse, Vict. Duke of Wellington, York st.
Stephens William, Barge Owner, Church street
Swan James, Vinegar Merchant, Lichfield street
Swan William, Maltster
Thomas John, Druggist and Grocer, High street
Tonkas William, Shoe Maker, Church street
Twemlow Christopher, Plumber and Glazier, High street
Tyler Edmund, Wharfinger, New street
Tyler Thomas, Jun. Grocer, Lichfield street
Wagstaff Samuel, Gent. York street
Wakeman, Farley, and Co. Bank, York street
Walker Henry, Church street
Ward John, Stone Mason, and Builder
Wilde William, Severn Carrier, and Coal Merchant
Wilmot Arabella, Dress Maker, High street
Worthington Mrs. Coffee Rooms, New street
Worthington Jonathan, Gent.
Wright John and George, Timber and Coat Merchants, Bridge street
Wynne Thomas, Grocer and Seedsman, Bridge st.
Yates Benjamin, Barge Owner, Church street
Yates John, Sen. Gent. Lichfield street
Yates John, Jun. Barge Owner, Lichfield street
Yates Thomas, Barge Owner, Lichfield street
Yates Mrs. Shopkeeper, York street
Yapp Richard, Shoe Maker, High street
York and Worthington, Canal Carriers
From Different Inns.
FROM THE SWANN
Worcester – every evening at half-past six
Wolverhampton – every Morning at half-past six
FROM THE BLACK STAR.
Worcester – every Morning at half-past nine, every evening at half-past six
Wolverhampton – every Morning at half-past six
Liverpool, Manchester, Chester, &c. – J. G. Ames and Co. – Bickley, Danks, and Co. – Heath, Tyler, and Danks. – York and Worthington.
Shardlow, Gainsbro’, Hull, &c. – Heath, Tyler, and Danks.
Birmingham, Tipton, &c. – Danks & Co.
Worcester, Gloucester, Bristol, &c. and General Carriers on Severn – Belsham and Reynolds. – Barnett, Meaby, Barnett, and Co. – Ames and Jones. – York and Co. – J. Jones, Jun.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.