Martin Hussingtree (from the two ancient divisions of the parish, Merton and Hussentree) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Michael
The parish registers commence with the year 1539
Martin-Hussingtree, a parish, with a small village, in Droitwich district, Worcester; near Fearnall Heath r. station, and 2½ miles SSW of Droitwich. Post town, Worcester. Acres, 908. Real property, £1,821. Po p, 170. Houses, 41. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £ 248. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church has a bell-turret, and is good. There is a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Martin-Hussingtree, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Droitwich, county of Worcester; 2½ miles south-south west of Droitwich, and 2 west of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £5 14s. 4½d.; gross income £290. Tithes commuted in 1840: rent charge £247 103. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Worcester. Martin-Hussingtree unites with Droitwich in returning a member to parliament. Acres 1,290. Houses 43. A. P. £1,688. Pop., in 1801, 194; in 1831, 208. Poor rates, in 1838, £148 1s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848
Martin-Hussingtree – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 4 miles N.N.E. from Worcester, and 116 from London; containing 35 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; the Rev. George Williams, incumbent; instituted 1790; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 194 – 1811, 183 – 1821, 217.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Martin Hosyntree is a parish between Worcester and Droitwich, with the river Salwarp, part of its northern boundary.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Martin Hussingtree (from the two ancient divisions of the parish, Merton and Hussentree) is a small village and parish nearly midway between Worcester and Droitwich, and within half a mile of Fearnall Heath railway station on the Great Western line; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union of Droitwich; county court district and petty sessional division of Worcester; polling district of Claines; annual rateable value, £2,664 17s. 6d.; area of parish, 908 acres; population in 1861, 170; in 1871, 150, with 41 inhabited houses and 46 families or separate occupiers. The Rev. Henry T. Hill, who is lord of the manor, and Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., are the principal landowners. The soil is light and loamy; subsoil, marl; there is good wheat and bean land, but very little barley grown. Martin Hussingtree is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a rectory, value £255, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; rector, Rev. Harvey Edmund Taverner, M.A., Brasenose College, Oxford, late minor canon and sacrist of Worcester cathedral, instituted in 1876. The church of St, Michael is an ancient edifice with chancel, nave, south transept, porch, and bell-turret. It underwent repair in 1858, but is now in much need of restoration. There is some Early English work in it. The parish registers commence with the year 1539. There are a few small charities. By the kind permission of Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., the children of Martin Hussingtree attend Hindlip national school, which is situate on the borders of Hindlip and Martin, but within the boundary of the parish of Claines. A small endowment towards the school at Salwarpe confers upon Martin Hussingtree the privilege of sending six children there. Brown Heath is three-quarters of a mile E.; Oakley is one mile N.E.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester. The wall letter-box, near Martin house, is cleared at 4.55 p.m. on week-days, and 10.55 a.m. on Sundays. Letters for Brown heath are received through Droitwich. The nearest money-order and telegraph office is at Fearnall Heath. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Harvey Edmund Taverner, M.A., Rector; Messrs. William Wall and George Cartridge, Churchwardens; William Grizzell, Parish Clerk.
Taverner Rev. Harvey Edmund, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Aston & Green, grocers & provision dlrs.
Burrows William, Swan Inn, & millwright
Cartridge Geo., farmer, Martin Court frm.
Cartridge G., jun., fmr., Hussingtree hall
Dovey Samson, fruiterer, Hill Top cottage
Evans Edward, cattle dealer, Martin ho.
Gaunt Thomas, farmer
Green Frederick William, farmer, Saints farm, Brown heath (letters through Droitwich)
Grizzell Wm., blacksmith & parish clerk
Quarrell Thomas Joseph, farmer, Brown heath (letters through Droitwich)
Wall William, farmer, Ladywood farm
Wynn John, butcher, Strand lane
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Martin Hussingtree, 3½ miles from Worcester, containing 29 houses, and 194 inhabitants.
Bedford George, farmer
Boaz Elijah, farmer
Brewster Betty, farmer
Curnock L., farmer
Doogood William, farmer
Green James, farmer
Lamb Thomas, farmer
Penrice B. E. esq.
Quarrell Joseph, farmer
Spencer J., shoemaker
Thomas Richard, farmer
Thomason Thos., farmer
Williams Rev. George
Williams James, esq.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.