Lower Mitton

Photo of 41 Mitton Street This is thought to be the oldest house in Stourport-on-Severn, possibly dating from the early 17th century. It predates the coming of the canal which created the present town. Before that this area was a small hamlet known as Lower Mitton. The house is the only square timber framed house in Stourport. At some point in the 1860's Terah Wainwright opened a Beer House here, which meant he could sell ales & ciders but not wines and spirits. It went by the sign of The Round of Beef. There were various licensees over the years until the licence renewal was refused on the grounds of redundancy. Probably not surprising in view of the large number of drinking establishments in this area at the time. It closed in January 1907 and reverted to use as a private residence, which is what it remains today. by P L Chadwick, some rights reserved.

Lower Mitton Worcestershire Family History

Lower Mitton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1844 from Kidderminster St Mary Parish.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1693

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.

Historical Descriptions of Lower Mitton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MITTON (LOWER), a chapelry in Kidderminster parish, Worcester; containing the town, r. station, and post office of Stourport. Acres, 861. Real property, £10,135, of which £313 are in canals. Pop., 2,958. Houses, 630. The manor belongs to J. W. Craven, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Kidderminster. The church is a neat brick structure, has been enlarged, and contains 1,090 sittings. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, two national schools, and a young men’s reading institution, with a good library. See STOURPORT.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Mitton, Lower, co. Worcester.

P. T. Kidderminster (126) 4 m. SSW. Pop. 2S44.

A hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Kidderminster and lower division of the hundred of Halfshire; living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Kidderminster, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, not in charge; chapel ded. to St. Michael; patronage with Kidderminster vicarage. Here is a manufactory of worsted yarn, an iron foundery, a tannery, and a vinegar yard.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Directories of Lower Mitton

Lower Mitton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Kidderminster
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
  • Poor Law Union: Kidderminster
  • Hundred: Halfshire
  • Province: Canterbury