Kenswick, formerly extra-parochial, has become a parish for the purposes of Act, 20 Vict., c.19. It is situate between the parishes of Wichenford and Hallow, 4 ½ miles N.W. of Worcester.
Alternative names: Constablewick of Kenswick
Distance – 4 ½ miles N.W. of Worcester
Population – In 1901, 35. Acreage, 424.
Postal Information – letters arrive by messenger from Worcester about 7.10 a.m. Broadheath is the nearest telegraph office. Hallow is the nearest money order office. Post town, Worcester.
The Post Letter-box at Kenswick is cleared at 12.5 and 7.20 p.m. week-days; 7.20 p.m. Sundays.
Attwood John, gardener
Betteridge James, farmer, Kedges farm
Britten Rear-Admiral Richard Frederick, J.P., Kenswick
Britten The Hon. Mrs., Kenswick
Grandon Samuel, miller for Admiral Britten, Kenswick mill
Undery Thomas, gardener
Wheeler John, coachman
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Kenswick, formerly extra-parochial, has become a parish for the purposes of Act, 20 Vict., c.19. It is situate between the parishes of Wichenford and Hallow, 4 ½ miles N.W. of Worcester, in the western division of the county, Lower Oswaldslow, Martley union, highway, and polling district, Worcester county court district and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 21; in 1871, 16, and only 4 inhabited houses. The acreage is 424; annual rateable value, £708. Daniel Britten, Esq., J.P., is lord of the manor and owner of the parish. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, beans, barley, and roots. There was formerly a chapel in this place, in which service was performed once a month, the owner of Kenswick paying £10 per annum for this privilege; but the chapel has been taken down.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Britten Daniel, Esq., J.P., Kenswick; and 7 Hanover terrace, Regent’s park, London, N.W.
Hodges J., farm bailiff to D. Britten, Esq.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Kenswick is extra-parochial, and is called “the Constablewick of Kenswick.” It is situate between the parishes of Wichenford and Hallow, about 5 miles N.W. from Worcester. The area is included in that of Knightwick, and the population in 1851 numbered 20.
There was formerly a Chapel in this place, in which service was performed once a month, the owner of Kenswick paying £10 per annum for this privilege; but the chapel is gone to decay, and the services have ceased.
Hulme Henry, Esq., Kenswick House
Surman Edward, farmer, Kedges; also of Abington’s
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855