Huddington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative names: Hadington and Hudinton
Huddington parish includes: Sale Green
Church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1695
Bishops Transcripts begin: 1612
Nonconformists in Huddington: Roman Catholic
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.Marriages at Huddington 1695 to 1810
Huddington, a parish in Droitwich district, Worcester; on Dean’s brook, 3 miles NE of Spetchley r. station, and 4½ SSE of Droitwich. Post town, Droitwich. Acres, 890. Real property, £1, 388; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop., 87. Houses, 18. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £156. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church is in the early English style, and has an open belfry.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Hudington, co. Worcester. P. T. Droitwich (110) 4½ m. SSE. Pop. 125. A parish in the middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, not in charge; ann. val. P. R. 34l.; church ded. to St. Michael; patron (1829) — Talbot, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Huddington – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 5 miles S.E. from Droitwich, and 115 from London; containing 17 inhabited houses. This was formerly a chapelry to the parish of Crowle. It is a perpetual curacy; Rev. Robert Vernon, incumbent; patron, Earl of Shrewsbury. Population, 1801, 108 – 1811, 99 – 1821, 125.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Huddington (anciently Hadington and Hudinton) is a small parish and village, about 6 ½ miles N.E. of Worcester, and 5 S.E. of Droitwich; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; petty sessional division of Worcester; union and county court district of Droitwich; polling district of Broughton Hackett; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £1,233; area of parish, 941 acres; population in 1861, 87; in 1871, 81, with 21 inhabited houses. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot is lord of the manor and owner of most of the land, and Lord Edmund Talbot is also a landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil marl, and in some parts clay; chief crops, cereals of all kinds. Dean’s brook runs through the parish. Huddington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a vicarage, value £58; patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury; vicar, Rev. William Henry Woolrych, B.A., Pembroke College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1870, and resides at Crowle vicarage. The church is a small building in the Perpendicular style, with older work at the west end. Here is a post-Reformation rood-screen, also interesting monuments to the Winter family. The register dates from the year 1695. Huddington Court, the ancient moated residence of the Winters, is a fine old timbered structure with many curious features both outside and internally; and “Lady Winter’s walk,” an avenue of trees, has some legends connected with it. Sale Green is a hamlet half a mile N.W., consisting of one farm and a few cottages.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Droitwich, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church. – Rev. William Henry Woolrych, B.A., Vicar; Mr. George Gerrard, Churchwarden; Solomon Hewlett, Parish Clerk.
Gerrard Mrs., Huddington farm
Smith Mr. William, Sale Green farm
Brewster J., farmer, Hill farm
Gerrard George, farmer, Huddington farm; res., Offerton, Hindlip
Hencher Charles, farm bailiff
Hewlett Solomon, parish clerk
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Saleway; res., Saleway farm, Himbleton
Sheppard Mary, shopkeeper, Sale green
Smith James, farmer, Sale Green farm
Smith John, farmer, Huddington court
White James, miller, Huddington mill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Huddington is a small parish, situated 6 miles N.E. from Worcester, and contained in the year 1851 a population of 89 inhabitants.
The parish of Huddington affords little material for the historian or antiquarian. The principal object of interest is the ancient manor-house, once the residence of the family of the Wintours, two of whom were deeply concerned in the Gunpowder Plot. The building is a fine specimen of the ancient timbered structures, having twisted chimneys with trefoil niches, and many ancient specimens and peculiarities. The moat around it still remains, and encloses nearly an acre of land. The avenue of trees leading to the house was called “Lady Wintour’s Walk,” wherein, tradition states, her ladyship awaited the stolen visits of her husband by night, after the proclamation had been issued for his apprehension.
The Church is a plain, ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, consisting of nave, chancel, and tower. It was formerly appropriated to the hospital of St. Wulstan, Worcester, but at the dissolution of religious houses, the impropriation fell to the Crown, and was subsequently purchased by John A. Combe, of Stratford-on-Avon, who bought it of Prince Henry, elder brother of Charles I. in the chancel is a brass plate in memory of one Adrianus Fortescutus, a man of great piety, who died in 1653. the principal memorial of note is that of George Wintour, the last of that family. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the patronage of the Earl of Shrewsbury, who owns the entire parish. Rev. Edwin Crane, B.A., Incumbent; Mr. Thomas Haidon, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Bridgins Joseph, farmer, Sales Green
Cole Joseph, victualler and carpenter, The Talbot
Gerrard William, farmer
Holder John, farmer, Huddington Court
Lloyd William, farmer, Huddington Hill
Sheppey William, farmer, Sales Green
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Baylis Ursula, farmer
Bridgens J., carpenter
Cole Joseph, vict.
Dutson John, farmer
Merrell J., miller & farmer
Pearson Benj., butcher
Perkins John, farmer
Smith John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.