Holt is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Little Witley is a chapelry of Holt.
Other places in the parish include: Holt Heath.
Alternative names: Holt-Castle
Parish registers begin: 1538
Holt, or Holt-Castle, a parish in Oswaldslow hund., union of Martley, Worcestershire; 5½ miles north-north-west of Worcester, on the banks of the Severn. It includes the chapelry of Little Witley. Living, a rectory, with the curacy of Little Witley. in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £15 17s. 8½d.; gross income £600. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £537 13s. 4d. rectorial. Patron, in 1835, Lord Foley. The church presents an excellent specimen of Saxon architecture. Here is a daily school. In 1835, 57 acres of hops were cultivated in this parish. The ruins of Holt-castle, formerly belonging to the Beauchamps, are still visible. Acres 2,930. Houses 122. A. P. £4,342. Pop., in 1801, 562; in 1831, 635. Poor rates, in 1838, £241 19s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Holt – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 6 miles N.N.W. from Worcester, and 117 from London; containing 64 inhabited houses. The church is a fine specimen of Saxon architecture, and is a rectory, with Little-Witley chapel annexed; Rev. John Foley, incumbent; instituted 1811; patron, Lord Foley. Population, 1801, 327 – 1811, 327 – 1821, 355.
Holt-Castle, in the above parish, stands on the western bank of the river Severn, and was rebuilt in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by Sir Robert Walsh, then Lord Chancellor, on the foundations of an old castle, erected by the Beauchamps, to whom it came by descent from Urso D’Abitot, the first hereditary sheriff of Worcester. It is now the property of Lord Foley, and in the occupation of Mr. Chillingworth, a respectable farmer.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Holt is six miles from Worcester, on the Ludlow road. Here stands the ancient fabric of Holt-castle, late the residence of the Countess-dowager of Coventry; near which is Holt Fleet-passage, over the river Severn. The church is dedicated to St. Martin, and is one of the completest remains of the ancient Saxon architecture.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Holt, 5 miles from Worcester, containing 56 houses, and 327 inhabitants. The church is one of the most complete remains of Saxon architecture at this time extant, to which Whitley chapel is annexed.
Chillingworth Henry, esq. Holt Castle
Cowell Daniel, farmer
Evans Thomas, vict.
Flellow1 James, farmer
Foley Rev. Mr.
Ford John, farmer
Ford William, farmer
Ford Benj., farmer
Goodwin John, farmer
Goodwin Samuel, farmer
Haywood Charles, farmer
James – , farmer
Mills John, farmer
Pardoe Jeffrey, farmer
Roberts James, farmer
Tombs – , farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
The name Flellow is how it is spelt in the directory.