Hindlip is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative Names: Hinlip
Parish Church: St. James
The registers commence with the year 1736.
Nonconformists: Roman Catholic
Hindlip, or Hinlip, a parish in the lower division of Oswaldslow hund., union of Droitwich, county of Worcester; 3 miles north-north-east of Worcester, in the line of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, and the Worcester and Birmingham canal. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £5 16s. 0½d., and returned at £130; gross income £150. Patron, in 1835, Viscount Southwell. Hindlip unites with Droitwich in returning a member to parliament. Six of the chief conspirators engaged in framing the gunpowder plot are said to have been concealed in a house in this parish; and from hence the letter leading to its detection was written by Mrs. Habington, of Hindlip-hall, the sister of Lord Monteagle. Acres 1,140. Houses 19. A. P. £1,601. Pop., in 1801, 149; in 1831, 134. Poor rates, in 1838, £103 7s. Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Hinlip – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 4 miles N.E. from Worcester, and 115 from London; containing 18 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. Richard Grape, incumbent; instituted 1815; patron Lord Viscount Southwell. Population, 1801, 149 – 1811, 158 – 1821, 129. Hinlip-Hall, in the above parish, was formerly the residence of Thomas Habbingdon, who wrote a M.S. history of this county, (now in the library of the Antiquarian Society,) and at whose house were concealed four of the gunpowder-plot conspirators, viz. Owen, Chambers, Garnet, and Hall, who were not discovered till after a diligent search, which continued eight days. Owen afterwards murdered himself in the Tower, and the other three were executed. Habbingdon would likewise have suffered, had not his father-in-law, Lord Morley, interested himself for a pardon, which was acceded to, on condition that he should continue within the limits of the county during his life. The house has lately been pulled down, and a handsome mansion erected upon its site by Lord Viscount Southwell.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Henlip, three miles from Worcester, on the Birmingham road, has a mansion-house worthy of remark, supposed to have been built by one John Habington, cofferer to Queen Elizabeth, the date in the parlour being 1572. Habington’s son, who was concerned in various plots for releasing Mary Queen of Scots, contrived many secret places in different parts of this building. The access to some was through chimneys, &c. others had trap-doors communicating to back staircases; the rooms on the outside appearing like great chimneys, the whole building being most uncommonly constructed. In this mansion resided Mrs. Habington, who wrote the letter to her brother which discovered the Gunpowder-plot. Suspicion arising that persons concerned in it were concealed here, search was made, when two artificial conveyances in the main brick wall, ingeniously framed with great art, were found; and three about the chimneys, in one of which two of the traitors were placed. Three days after, two men of their own accord came from behind the wainscot of the galleries, being unable to conceal themselves any longer, having but one apple between both for sustenance. One was of the name of Owen, who afterwards killed himself in the tower of London; the other’s name was Chambers. On the eighth day’s search the aforementioned place of the chimney was found, and out came Henry Garnet, provincial of the English Jesuits, and one Hall, who lived upon marmelade and other sweetmeats; but their principal maintenance had been by a quill through a hole in the chimney, which backed another, and by that passage nourishment was conveyed to them. Four of these Jesuits were sent to London for trial; when Garnet was hanged in St. Paul’s church-yard; and another, named Oldcorn, at Worcester, for justifying the lawfulness of the conspiracy.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Hindlip or Hinlip (denominated in old writings Alcrington and Alfreton, but deriving its more modern from a hind-leap, or deer’s leap, which existed here when the forest of Feckenham extended to this place) is a pleasant parish, distant 4 miles N.E. of Worcester and 3 S.W. of Droitwich; is near the Fearnall Heath station on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; in the union and parliamentary borough of Droitwich; in the county court district and petty sessional division of Worcester, and polling district of Claines; annual rateable value, £2,045; acreage, 1,054; population in 1861, 136; in 1871, 149; inhabited houses, 30; families or separate occupiers, 33. Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and owner of the parish. The soil is chiefly strong clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, barley, and roots. Hindlip is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Worcester East; living, a rectory, value £200, with residence; patron, Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P.; rector, Rev. John Stanley Chesshire, M.A., Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1873. The church of St. James is a small edifice, exhibiting traces of Norman architecture; the tower, which is at the west end, is Perpendicular, and a small portion of the nave walls dates from the same period. The building was restored in 1864, chiefly at the cost of Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., when a new transeptal chapel was added on the south side for the accommodation of the Allsopp family; a vestry was added on the north side; west window, doorway, and font, all new. Six beautiful stained-glass windows, by Hardman & Co., of Birmingham, have been presented by H. Allsopp, Esq., M.P. The subjects of the east window are – left-hand light, “The Nativity,” with “The Annunciation” beneath; centre light, “The Crucifixion,” with “The Way of Sorrows”; right-hand light, “The Resurrection,” with “The Entombment.” The reredos is of Caen stone, also the gift of H. Allsopp, Esq., M.P.; subject, “The Last Supper”; sculptor, Mr. J. Roddis, of Birmingham. There is an interesting monument to John Habingdon, Esq., sometime lord of this manor, patron of the living, and founder of Hindlip house. There are also handsome monuments to Viscount and Lady Southwell. The registers commence with the year 1736. The national school for Hindlip parish is supported by H. Allsopp, Esq., M.P., by whom it was erected. It is situate in the adjoining parish of Claines. Hindlip Hall is the seat of Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P. for the eastern division of the county, and J.P. and D.L. for Worcestershire and Staffordshire. The mansion is beautifully situated on an eminence in a well-wooded park commanding extensive views of Malvern, the Abberley hills, and the surrounding country. It is a square building of light brick, in the Grecian style, in the front of which are four Ionic pillars supporting an entablature; there are two wings connected with the main building by crescent walls. The old house, which formerly stood on this site, was famous as the hiding-place of Garnett and Oldcorn, in connection with the Gunpowder Plot, and was curiously constructed with trap-doors and hiding-places for the Romish clergy. It was then the residence of Habingdon, who collected a mass of valuable information which subsequently formed the foundation of Nash’s “History of Worcestershire.”
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester. Fearnall Heath is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. James’s). – Rev. John Stanley Chesshire, M.A., Rector; Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., Churchwarden; Robert Sherwood, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Mr. Joseph Davey, master; Mrs. Marianne Davey, Mistress.
Allsopp Henry, Esq., M.P. (for East Worcestershire), J.P., D.L., Hindlip hall; and 83 Eaton sq., London, S.W. Chesshire Rev. John Stanley, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Barker – , head gardener to Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., Hindlip hall gardens
Davey Joseph, schoolmaster
Gerrard George, farmer, Offerton; and at Huddington farm
Phipps William, shopkeeper, beer retailer, and farmer, Pear-Tree Inn, Cold harbour
Riddell James, land steward to Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., Hindlip court farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Hinlip, or Hindlip, is a small parish, situated 4 miles N.N.E. from Worcester, and contained a population of 126 inhabitants in 1851.
The principal object worthy of notice in this parish is Hinlip House, the residence of the Right Hon. Lord Viscount Southwell, from which may be obtained some pleasing views of the surrounding scenery. The house is a modern square building, having two wings, connected by crescent walls, in the front of which are four pillars, supporting an entablature. The original building, which was taken down many years ago, was supposed to have been erected by John Habingdon, cofferer to Queen Elizabeth in the year 1572, and was peculiarly constructed, containing trap-door and secret rooms, built so as to have an external resemblance to chimneys. This was said to have been done by Thomas Habingdon, a son of John Habingdon, who harboured some of the conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot. For this he was condemned to die, but was pardoned through the intercession of his wife’s father. His wife is supposed to have written the letter that led to its discovery in order to save his life. He then retired to Hinlip, where he studied the antiquities of Worcestershire, and collected a mass of valuable information, which subsequently formed the foundation for Nash’s “History of Worcestershire.” He died in 1647.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a small, ancient pile, possessing little requiring description. It consists of nave, small chancel, and western embattled tower, with diagonal buttresses, the entrance being at the west end, under the tower. The chancel contains in the south wall an ancient piscina. The eastern chancel window and the north and south nave windows are the most ancient in style. In the chancel is a very curious memorial tablet to John Habingdon or Abington, Esq., some time lord of this manor, patron of this church, and founder of Hinlip House. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Lord Viscount Southwell. Rev. Joseph Webster, M.A., Rector; John Harris, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Southwell The Right Hon. Viscount, Hinlip House
Webster Rev. Joseph, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Colley Joseph, farmer
Green James, farmer, Cummins Farm
Mantle James, farmer, Offerton
Gunning William, gardener and land steward to the Right Hon. Viscount Southwell
Smith James, farmer and butcher, The Court
Wilson John Joseph, farmer, Offerton Farm
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Hinlip, 3 miles from Worcester, containing 23 houses, and 149 inhabitants.
Abell Thomas, farmer
Braddock John, farmer
Colley Joseph, farmer
Green William, farmer
Wiggen Thomas, farmer
Wilson Thomas, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.