Hill Croome is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Baughton and Wardington.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1721
Croome-Hill, or Hull-Cromb, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 2½ miles east of Upton-upon-Severn. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £7 10s. 5d.; gross income £200. Tithes commuted in 1771. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Charities, in 1830, £18 10s. There is a daily school here. Acres 840. Houses 40. A.P. £1,722. Pop., in 1801, 169; in 1831, 215. Poor rates, in 1838, £80.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Hill-Crome [sic] – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles S.W. from Pershore, and 108 from London; containing 31 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. J. A. Perny, D.D. incumbent; instituted 1810; patron the King. Population, 1801, 169 – 1811, 153 – 1821, 188.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Hill Croome (anciently Heleycombe or Hull Croome, from the De Hulls who lived here temp. Edward I) is a small parish and village, 2 miles E. of Upton-on-Severn, 7 N. of Tewkesbury, 6 S.W. of Pershore, and 12 S. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; in the union, petty sessional division, and polling district of Upton; county court district of Pershore; annual rateable value, £1,658; acreage, 982; population in 1861, 198; in 1871, 192, with 45 inhabited houses. The Earl of Coventry (the lord of the manor), the Executors of the late Charles Hunt, Esq., and of the late George Banaster, Esq. , Mrs. T. Barton, and Mrs. Newman, are the landowners. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, beans, and barley. Hill Croome is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Bredon; living, a rectory, value £330, with residence and a glebe farm of about 124 aces; patron, the Lord Chancellor; rector, the Rev. William Llewelyn Croft, who was instituted in 1869. The church of St. Mary is a small stone edifice, with gabled tower at the west end; it has a piscina which occupies an unusual position, being placed across the S.E. angle of the chancel. The earliest register is dated 1559. Baughton is a hamlet situate about 1 mile and a half N.W. from the church.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive from Worcester via Severn Stoke about 9 a.m. The wall letter-box, Baughton, is cleared at 4.40 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Upton-on-Severn and Severn Stoke are the nearest money-order offices. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Mary’s). – Rev. William Llewelyn Croft, Rector; Mr. John Briscoe, Churchwarden; John Rea, Parish Sexton.
Carrier to Worcester. – William smith, on Saturdays; returning from the Coventry Arms, Friar street, at 4 p.m.
Barton Mrs. Timothy, Baughton
Croft Rev. William Llewelyn (rector), The Rectory
Hancock Henry, Baughton hall
Briscoe John, farmer
Bromage Joseph, wheelwright, Baughton
Cull Charles, farmer, Baughton court
Denley Mrs. Edward, farmer, Moat farm
Howship Miss Ann, shopkpr., Baughton
Newman Mrs. Mary A., frmr., Baughton
Newman Peter, farmer & dlr., Baughton
Nott Robert, blacksmith, Baughton
Rea John, parish sexton
Rivers Wm., wheelwright, &c., Baughton
Smith William, carrier, Baughton
Warren Charles, New Inn, Baughton
Williams Mrs., farmer & lime-burner, Baughton
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Hill Croome is a small parish, situate about 2 miles from Upton, with a population in 1851 of 193 inhabitants.
Baughton is a small hamlet belonging to the above, situate about one mile and a half from the church; the population is returned with the parish.
The church is a very old structure, and is built of stone, with tower and three bells. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Crown. Rev. Thomas Coventry, Rector; Rev. J. W. Grove Curate; Mr. William Holland, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately with Strensham.
Claridge James, farmer, Hill Farm
Green Miss, farmer, Hill Church
Green Thomas, farmer, Hill Church
Barton Timothy, beer retailer, Old House at Home
Day Elizabeth, farmer
Fletcher John, farmer, Baughton Hall
Goodall James, victualler and farmer, New Inn
Howship Ann, shopkeeper
Newman Thomas, farmer
Knott Robert, blacksmith
Panter William, shoe maker
Weeks Francis, basket maker
Welles Thomas James, farmer, Baughton Court
Williams William, lime burner, Baughton Hill
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Day Thomas, farmer
Day Luke, cutter
Drinkwater M., farmer
Fletcher John, farmer
Fletcher J. W., farmer
Goodall James, butcher
Green Thomas, farmer
Howship S., farmer and shopkeeper
Jones Ann, farmer
Morris Thomas, farmer
Thould James, farmer
Tompkins – , shopkeeper
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.