Hanley Castle

Hanley Castle, Worcestershire Family History

Hanley Castle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Blackmore End, Robertsend, Henley Quay, Hanley Swan, and Gilberts End.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Hanley Castle

  • Great Malvern
  • Madresfield
  • Malvern Wells
  • Upton upon Severn
  • Welland
  • Severn Stoke

Historical Descriptions

Hanley Castle

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Hanley Castle, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Upton-on-Severn Registration District, Worcester. The village stands on the W side of the river Severn, 1½ mile NW of Upton-on-Severn, and 6 W of Defford r. station, and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish includes also the village of Malvern Wells, and the hamlets of Blackmore-End, Hanley-Quay and Gilberts-End. Acres, 5,630. Real property, £14,308. Pop., 1,733. Houses, 367. A castle here, some remains of which exist, belonged to Brietic who refused the hand of Maud, afterwards the wife of William the Conqueror; passed to the Earls of Warwick; was the death-place of Henry-de-Beauchamp; and passed to the Despencers, the Savages, the Arles, the Lechmeres, and the Charltons. Hanley-Castle mansion is now the seat of Thomas Gee, Esq.; Blackmore Park is the seat of John V. Hornyold, Esq.; Rhydd Court is the property of Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart.; and Severn End is the ancient seat of the Lechmere family. Invalids resort to Malvern-Wells; and there is a wharf on the Severn at Hanley-Quay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £650. Patron, Sir E. A. H. Lechmere, Bart. The church is partly decorated English, partly brickwork of 1674; has a tower; was restored in 1858; and has two recent memorial windows. The p. curacy of Malvern-Wells is a separate benefice. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed grammar-school, a national school, and a working-men’s institute. – The sub-district includes five other parishes. Acres, 20,007. Pop., 11,377. Houses, 2,011.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hanley Castle, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Upton-on-Severn, county of Worcester, opposite to Malvern-hills; 1¾ mile north-west of Upton-upon-Severn, and west of the river Severn. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £12 15s.; gross income £650. Patron, in 1835, Sir A. Lechmere, Bart. There are 4 daily schools here, 2 of which are supported by endowment, amounting, in 1829, to £165 9s. 2d. per annum. Other charities. £4 2s. per annum; besides a quantity of coals, wheat, and rye, charged on an estate. Poor rates, in 1838, £760. On an average of 7 years to 1835, 43½ acres of hop-grounds have been annually cultivated in this parish. A castle belonging to the earls of Warwick formerly adorned this place. Malvern-wells, a great resort for invalids, are in this parish. Acres 5,630. Houses 286. A.P. £7.347. Pop., in 1801, 986; in 1831, 1,653.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Hanley-Castle – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 1 ½ mile N.N.W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 111 from London; containing 256 inhabited houses. There formerly was a castle here, but no traces of it are now to be seen. The village is delightfully situated near the Malvern-hills, and there are several gentlemen’s seats in the neighbourhood. Here is a good free school, originally intended as a classical one, but is now on Dr. Bell’s system: the present income is returned at about £300 per ann. out of which the Rev. Mr. Turberville, who is considered the head master, pays the teacher £50 per ann. and finds books, &c. for the children. The living is a vicarage; Rev. G. Turberville, incumbent; instituted 1789; patron, Sir A. Lechmere, Bart. Population, 1801, 986 – 1811, 1186 – 1821, 1424.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Universal British Directory 1791

Hanley-castle is on the Severn, and near Upton, opposite Malvern-hills, a parish six miles broad and four long. There are no traces of the castle visible. In this parish are Blackmore-park, Severn-end, and Hanley-hall, as is Holy-well or Malvern-well, on the side of the Malvern-hill. A circular cavity in the earth, about six feet in diameter, was discovered in a corn-field by a shepherd’s boy in 1787. On examination, this aperture leads to a considerable cavern at about the depth of ten feet from the surface, extending in every direction at least twenty feet in diameter; at about thirty-five or forty feet is a body of water, supposed to be nearly one hundred and forty feet deep. This discovery leads to various conjectures amongst the curious in the neighbourhood; but whether it be from a natural or artificial cause is yet undetermined: some attribute it to the convulsion of the earth, whilst others ascribe it to have been an excavation, made some hundred years past, for the purpose of obtaining water for cattle, or as a place of retirement for safety in times of war and danger, supposing in this case that the waters have since forced their way into the recess. The field where this cavern is is nearly a plain, and the soil at some depth a solid body of chalk.

Source: Universal British Directory 1791. The entry for Hanley Castle was included with that of Upton-upon-Severn but has been included in the site separately for ease of finding.

Blackmoor Park

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Blackmoor Park, the residence of T. C. Hornyold, Esq., in the parish of Hanley Castle, 3 miles from Upton-on-Severn, on the road to Malvern Wells.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Severn End

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Severn-End, in the parish of Hanley Castle, for many years the residence of the Lechmere family; it is now occupied as a grazing farm on an extensive scale; in the grounds is a tree called the Sorbus Aucuparia, or Quicken-Pear, of very large size, of the same description as that referred to in the parish of Rock.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

See Also the Directories for Upton-upon-Severn

Online Directories

Bentley’s Directory of Hanley Castle 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Hanley Castle Littleburys Directory 1879
Hanley Castle Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Hanley Castle Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Powyke
  • Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
  • Hundred: Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury