Hampton Lovett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1666
Hampton-Lovett – a parish in Halfshire hundred, upper division, 1½ mile N.N.W. from Droitwich, and 121 from London; containing 30 inhabited houses. It is a rectory, exempted from the jurisdiction of the archdeacon; Rev. J. Amphlett, D.D. incumbent; instituted 1814; patron, Sir J. Pakington, Bart. Population, 1801, 198 – 1811, 192 – 1821, 176.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Hampton Lovett is a very small parish, situate about a mile N. of Droitwich, with a population in 1851 of 172 inhabitants, being two less than in 1841.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very ancient edifice, the style of architecture being chiefly the perpendicular, or that of the fifteenth century. It consists of nave, chancel, and north chapel, with square tower on the south of the building. The chancel is separated from the nave by a Norman arch, and an ancient carved wood screen; the chapel has also an arch of the same style as the chancel. The chapel, Nash says, was built by Sir. T. Pakington, in 1561; and by a M.S. in the Bodleian Library, Oxford, it appears that a chapel was built here by one of the Blount family, who were owners of the manor in 1414, and who founded in it a chantry for two priests. On the north wall of the nave are traces of ancient paintings and scripture sentences. There are few monuments, and the majority of them belong to the Pakington family, the principal one being that of Sir John Pakington, Bart., in the north wall of the chancel, on a mural slab, dated 1727. there is also one to the memory of Henry Hammond, dated 1660. the living is a Rectory, in the gift if Sir John S. Pakington, Bart. Rev. Joseph Amphlett, M.A., Rector; Mr. Joseph Stanton, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Charities consist of £100 given by Sir J.S. Pakington, Bart., 1830, and £100 by Miss Pakington, 1846.
Amphlett Rev. Joseph, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Croft Walter, farmer, Keybridge
Gerrard William, farmer, Upper Hall
Lampill William, shopkeeper
Prothero Henry, farmer, Little Horton
Roberts Joseph, farmer, Fibden
Simonds James, farm bailiff to Sir John S. Packington, Bart., Round House
Stanton Joseph, blacksmith and Parish Clerk
Walwyn Rupert, farmer, Great Horton
Wilson George, farmer, Hampton Farm
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Hampton Lovett, 3 miles from Droitwich, containing 34 houses and 198 inhabitants.
Broad John, farmer
Corbett T., paper maker
Ireland Joseph, farmer
Pakington Sir John, bart.
Parker Rev. William
Tolley John, farmer
Williams George, farmer
Williams William, farmer
Woodward John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.