Guarlford, formerly a chapelry to Great Malvern, is an ecclesiastical parish formed out of the parishes of Madresfield and Great Malvern in 1866. It is situated below Barnard’s green and between Powick and Hanley Castle, 2 miles E. of Malvern and 6 S. of Worcester.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1844
Guarlford, formerly a chapelry to Great Malvern, is an ecclesiastical parish formed out of the parishes of Madresfield and Great Malvern in 1866. It is situated below Barnard’s green and between Powick and Hanley Castle, 2 miles E. of Malvern and 6 S. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county, Lower Pershore hundred, Upton union and highway district, Malvern Link polling district, and Great Malvern petty sessional division. The area is 2,170 acres; population in 1871, 684; inhabited houses, 120. The present population (1879) is estimated at 480. The Right Hon. Earl Beauchamp and Lady Emily Foley are the principal landowners. The living is a rectory in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester, and rural deanery of Powick; value £337, with residence and 2 acres of glebe; patron, the Earl of Beauchamp, who munificently endowed the living with the great tithes of Malvern; rector, the Rev. John Bateman Wathen, M.A., Queen’s college, Oxford, who was instituted in 1857. The church of St. Mary was erected in 1844, at a cost of about £2,000, defrayed partly by subscription and partly by grants from various societies. An organ chamber was added to the south side of the nave in 1877 at the sole expense of Earl Beauchamp, and an organ (by Nicholson of Worcester) has been erected at a cost of £180, which sum was raised by subscription. The church has also been entirely renovated inside, and two brass standards of five lights each placed in the chancel, and duplex lamps provided. The registers begin with the year 1844. There is a national school under Government inspection; average attendance (boys, girls, and infants) about 100.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Great Malvern. The wall letter-box at the churchyard is cleared at 5 p.m. on weekdays only. Malvern is the money-order and telegraph office and post town.
St. Mary’s Church. – Rev. John Bateman Wathen, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Bullock, sen., and Mr. Thomas Need, Churchwardens; Mr. J. Bateman, Organist; Samuel Evans, Clerk and Sexton.
National School (boys, girls, and infants). – Miss E. B. James, Mistress.
Allen Rev. Charles, The Rhydd
Bullock Mr. John, sen., Cherry orchard
Lloyd Rev. Robert, M.A., Dripshill
Wathen Rev. John Bateman, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Wood Rev. Thomas, M.A., Priestfield
Bladder Mr., farmer, Rhydd Green farm
Bullock John, jun., farmer and hop grower, Guarlford court
Burston Robert, machinist, Barnard’s gn.
Byewater J., blacksmith, Heriots
Cobley Mrs., farmer, Clevelode
Doorbar Henry, farmer, Portocksend
Evans Samuel, clerk and sexton
Jackson Captain Eustace Octavius, farmer, White house
Johnson Henry, farmer, White Acres farm
Lane George & Edwin, fmrs., Woodbridge
Meek Mrs. Mary, farmer, Grove house
Mosely William, hay & coal dealer & beer retlr. (Plough & Harrow), Rhydd green
Munn George, farmer, New house
Need Thomas, farmer, New house
Oliver William, rate collector
Reynolds John, blacksmith, Barnard’s gn.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.