Grimley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Hallow is a chapelry of Grimley.
Other places in the parish include: Moseley and Sinton.
The earliest register is dated 1573
Church: St. Bartholomew
Grimley, a parish in the lower division of the hund, of Oswaldslow, union of Martley, county of Worcester; 4¼ miles north-north-west of Worcester, and west of the Severn. Living, a vicarage, with the curacy of Hallow, in the archd, and dio. of Worcester; rated at £14 0s. 10d.; gross income £599. Patron, the bishop of Worcester. Here in the chapelry of Hallow is a free school, endowed with about £60 per annum. In Grimley there is a daily school, endowed with £7 per annum. Other charities, in 1830, £135 5s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £201 12s. Acres 2,230. Houses 148. A.P. £3,802. Pop., in 1801, 543; in 1831, 711.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Grimley – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles N. from Worcester, and 117 from London; containing 130 inhabited houses. The living is a vicarage, with Hallow chapel annexed; Rev. Thomas H. Lowe, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 543 – 1811, 675 – 1821, 666.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Grimley, about five miles north-west from Worcester, is a large parish, having many hop-plantations, a spacious wood called Monk’s Wood, of about 146 acres; and fruit-trees in abundance. In this parish is Thorngrove-house, the seat of W. Cross, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. Grimley is on the banks of the Severn, on the opposite side to where the canal from Droitwich empties itself into that river. In this parish is Hallow-park, formerly the residence of Reginald Lygon, Esq. but now of Joseph Berwick, Esq. beautifully situated on an eminence, commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country. In the park a spring had lately been discovered, whose waters, having been analized, prove to be equal in virtue to that at Cheltenham. This parish is about six miles in circuit, and is a chapelry to Grimley; the architecture of its chapel shews it to have been built by the Saxons.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Grimley is a parish and village on the west bank of the Severn, 4 miles N. of Worcester, and 7 S.W. of Droitwich; is in the Western division of the county, Lower Oswaldslow hundred, Martley union and highway district, St. John’s polling district, Worcester county court district and petty sessional division. The area of the parish is 2,459 acres; annual rateable value, £5,134; population in 1861, 776; in 1871, 746, with 177 inhabited houses and 181 families or separate occupiers. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are lords of the manor, Colonel Middlemore, and the Earl of Dudley are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy and gravelly; subsoil, marl and clay; chief crops, wheat, beans, and roots. Grimley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of West Worcester; living, a vicarage; value £335, with residence; patron, the Bishop of Worcester; vicar, Rev. Eustace Robinson, of Queen’s College, Birmingham, who was instituted in 1877. the living was formerly annexed to Hallow, but is now constituted a separate vicarage. The church of St. Bartholomew consists of chancel, nave, and western tower having embattlements and pinnacles and containing six bells. It is mainly in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, but has some Norman work in the doorway. The late Mr. Eginton, architect, added a new feature in an external covered stone-staircase, leading from the porch to the western gallery. The earliest register is dated 1573. A new vicarage house was erected in 1878. There is a national school with a small endowment. In this parish was formerly a manor-house of the priors of Worcester. Thorngrove, the seat of Colonel R. Middlemore, J.P., is a handsome building situated on an eminence, half a mile north-west; it was the residence of Lucien Bonaparte for several years preceding the peace of 1814. Sinton court is the residence of Frederick Munn, Esq. Moseley and Sinton are hamlets.
Postal Regulations. – Richard Oakley, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester at 8.10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.30 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Bartholomew’s). – Rev. Eustace Robinson, Vicar; William Barber, Esq., and Frederick Munn, Esq., Churchwardens; Samuel Freeman, Parish Sexton.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Alice Vernall, Mistress.
Carriers to Worcester. – Thomas Hill and Isaac Crumpton, Wednesdays and Saturdays; stop at the Red Lion, Newport street; return therefrom at 4 p.m. The Witley and Abberley carriers pass through this parish.
Cowell The Misses, Moseley villa
Davis John Jeffries, Esq.
Middlemore Colonel, J.P., Thorngrove
Milton The Misses, 4 Primrose cottages
Munn Frederick, Esq., Sinton court
Robinson Rev. Eustace (vicar), Vicarage
Whitcombe Mr. Philip N.
Barber John, beer retlr. (Live & Let Live)
Barber Wm., frmr. & landowner, Elm hill
Barnett Charles, shoema., Monkwood gn.
Bishop James, tailor, Sinton
Bishop Mrs., fmr., White ho., Monkwood gn.
Bullock James, miller, Ball mill
Bullock Thomas, blacksmith, Sinton
Burford William, farm bailiff for J. Jeffries Davis, Esq.
Callow Adam, brick maker
Cotterill Nathaniel, farmer, Northington
Crumpton Isaac, carrier, Sinton
Davis John Jeffries, farmer and coal merchant, Grimes farm
Drinkwater John, farmer, Moseley
Farmer Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper, Sinton
Freeman John, cot. frmr., Monkwood gn.
Freeman Samuel, parish sexton
Harber John, farmer, Sinton
Hayward John, wheelwright, &c., Sinton
Hemus John, farmer; res., Wichenford
Hill Thomas, carrier, 2 Primrose cottages
Jones Thomas, farmer, Yardway
Matthews Henry, inspector of nuisance under Martley sanitary authority, Firtree villa
Millman John B., butcher, Sinton
Munn Mrs. Harriet, farmer, Sinton
Oakley Richard, market gardener, shopkeeper, and sub-postmaster
Parry James Pritchard, Camp House, & fmr.
Smith Samuel, farmer, Moseley
Smith Thomas, market gardener
Stayte Thomas, Park cottage
Sylvester Jas., cot. farmer, Monkwood gn.
Taylor George, provision dealer
Thrupp Walter, farmer, Pound fm., Sinton
Turner Henry, cot. farmer and haulier
Turner John, fmr., Morecroft fm., Sinton
Vernall Miss Alice, schoolmrs., School ho.
Wadeley John, New Inn, Sinton
Wainwright William, farmer, The Retreat
Weston Henry, farmer, Monkwood grn.
Whitcombe Philip N., commercial travlr.
Woodward Henry, beer retailer (The Fox), Monkwood green
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Grimley is a small Parish, situate about 4 ½ miles from Worcester, on the West bank of the river Severn, and contained in 1851 a population of 762 inhabitants.
The Church consists of nave, chancel, and western tower, with embattlements and pinnacles. The interior has been repaired and fitted up in a very neat manner, and by the alteration at the tower end greater accommodation has been provided. The old peal of six bells has been re-hung. The whole expenses, amounting to about £500, have been defrayed by voluntary subscriptions. The living is a Vicarage, with the Curacy of Hallow, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. H. G. Pepys, B.A., Vicar; Rev. Robert Burr Bourne, M.A., Curate; Rev. Herbert Richard Peel, B.A., Assistant Curate; Mr. William Freeman, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.; winter months, 2 30 p.m.
The National School has a small endowment, and is otherwise supported by subscription, and the children’s payments. Mr. William Milton, Master; Mrs. Sarah Milton, Mistress. Average number of scholars – boys, 39; girls, 37.
The Charities of Grimley consist of several sums of money for the purchase of clothing, bread, &c., to be given to the poor of the parish at various times of the year.
Baker Samuel, Esq., Thorngrove
Barber Mr. William, Elm Hill
Barber Mr. John, Elm Hill
Bourne Mrs. Mary, Moseley Bank
Francis Mr. Richard, The Retreat
Garmston John, Esq., Sinton Court
Lawrence Miss Ann
Walker Mr. Richard, Timberels
Amphlett Christiana, farmer, Northing Town
Barber Stephen, farmer, The Hill
Barnett Charles, shoe maker, Monkswood
Benbow John, sen., farmer, Noken
Benbow John, jun., beer retailer, New Inn
Bishop Thomas, farmer, White House, Monkswood
Bishop Samuel, farmer
Bishop James, tailor, Sinton Green
Bowyer James, brick and tile manufacturer, coal, timber, and hay merchant
Brasier George, farmer, The Retreat
Brasier John, saddle and harness maker, Sinton Green
Bullock James, victualler, miller, and farmer, Ball Mill Inn
Bullock Ann, blacksmith, Sinton Green
Burrow Thomas, shopkeeper, Monkswood
Clarke Thomas, surgeon
Collins Joseph, farmer, Grimley Farm
Ford Richard, shopkeeper, Monkswood
Freeman William, Parish Clerk and Sub-Postmaster
Gore James Henry, farmer, The Palace
Harbour John, farmer, Mosely
Hayward John, Wheelwright, carpenter, and farmer, Sinton Farm
Hodges Samuel, butcher and farmer
Jones Edward, farmer
Lamb Ann, shopkeeper
Lane Thomas, victualler, The Camp
Lowick Susan, farmer, Mosely
Mason Edward, shoe maker
Munn Harriet, farmer, Gumburn
Paine Philip, farmer, Mosely
Palmer William, farmer, Monkswood
Powick James, farmer, Church House
Pyner Thomas, shoe maker, Monkswood
Russell Richard, beer retailer, Fox, Monkswood
Taylor Thomas, mason
Thrupp James, farmer and dealer, Birchall; also of Monkswood
Thrupp Walter, farmer, The Pound, Sinton Green
Turner John, sen., farmer, Moorcroft
Turner, John, jun., farmer, Wellans
Turner Richard, shopkeeper
Ward Joseph, farmer, Elm Hill
Wilks Thomas, plumber and glazier, Sinton Green
Post Office – Mr. Wm. Freeman, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 4 45 p.m.
Carrier – To Worcester – Hill, Wednesday and Saturday, 8 30 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Grimley, 5 miles from Worcester, is a large parish, containing 98 houses, and 543 inhabitants. It has many hop plantations, and fruit trees in abundance. The chapelry of Hallow is annexed. In hallow Park is a spring similar in virtue to those at Cheltenham.
Barber John, farmer
Barratt Phillip, farmer
Benbow John, farmer
Berrow Samuel, farmer
Berrow William, farmer
Bishop William, farmer
Brettell George, farmer
Clarke Robert, farmer
Cooke John, farmer
Cresswell Joseph, farmer
Dallow Thomas, farmer
Davis Samuel, farmer
Evans Robert, farmer
Griffiths Richard, esq. Thorngrove
Hall Edward, farmer
Hare Thomas, farmer
Hay Michael, farmer
Haywood Thos., farmer
Haywood Alice, farmer
Jones Samuel, farmer
Jones Margaret, farmer
Jones William, farmer
Jones Joseph, farmer
Jones Joseph, farmer
Knott Edward, farmer
Lawrence Mary, farmer
Oakley William, farmer
Paine Thomas, farmer
Paine George, farmer
Pardoe Richard, farmer
Perkins James, farmer
Phillips Margaret, farmer
Poney Thomas, farmer
Pourne Samuel, farmer
Wilmore John, esq.
Winwood George, farmer
Woodward Thos., farmer
Yarrington Edw., farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.