Grafton Manor is an extra-parochial place.
Parish registers begin:
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Grafton-Manor, an extra-parochial tract in Droitwich district, Worcester; near the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, and the Worcester and Birmingham canal, 2 miles SW of Bromsgrove. Acres, 1,300. Real property, £2,447. Pop., 52. Houses, 8. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury; and the manor-house is occupied by Captain Bourne. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Grafton-Manor – formerly a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Bromsgrove, but now extra parochial, in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 2 miles W.S.W. from Bromsgrove, and 117 from London; containing 7 inhabited houses. Here are some remains of the family mansion of the Staffords, afterwards Earls of Shrewsbury: the only part which escaped the fire in 1710, was the porch and part of the hall, but these are sufficient to show the ancient magnificence of the building. Here is a very neat catholic chapel, which has lately been repaired and beautified, at the expense of the Earl of Shrewsbury. Population, 1801, 72 – 1811, no return – 1821, 45.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Grafton Hall, is about a mile from Bromsgrove, and thus is described by Leland. “I came by a parke about a mile ere I came to Bromsgrove on the left hand. It is called Grafton. It longed before Bosworth field, to the Staffords, noble knyghtes. Since by attainder it came to the king, and was given by King Henry VII to Sir Gilbert Talbot.” In ancient times, this was a most capital mansion-house, as appears by all that remains of it since the fire in 1710, which, indeed, are nothing more than the porch and part of the hall, which later has been converted into a chapel for a more recent building which has been added, but is now occupied by a farmer, or steward. Even there small remains of its ancient magnificence shew what it was, and the Gothic walls of the old chapel in particular are curious: as to the porch it is not older than the days of Elizabeth, and is ornamented, like the gateway to the schools at Oxford, with the different orders of architecture. Little of the old furniture, or ornaments, was saved from the fire, except a picture of John, Earl of Shrewsbury, who died Marshall of France, in 1453; and a bust of Sir Gilbert Talbot, knight of the garter, which some wise-acre had afterwards disfigured, by causing it to be shaved and painted.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Grafton Manor was formerly an extra-parochial place and chapelry of Bromsgrove, from which it is distant 2 miles S.W.; it was made over to the monks of Worcester in the reign of Henry III., and has since become a parish. It is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire; union, petty sessional division, and polling district of Bromsgrove; county court district of Droitwich; annual rateable value, £2,183; area, 1,300 acres; population in 1861, 52; in 1871, 52, with 9 inhabited houses. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, turnips, and pasture. There is no church. The Manor House, now the residence of Major Robert Bourne, J.P., D.L., is an ancient mansion, well worthy of inspection. It belonged to the Staffords and Talbots, and the profits of the chapelry were assigned to provide tapers to burn before the tomb of King John in Worcester cathedral. There is a Roman Catholic chapel attached to the mansion, but it is not now used for service.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Bromsgrove, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Bourne Major Robert, D.L., Manor house
Brook William, farmer, West lodge
Francis William, farmer, Warridge lodge
Packwood John, farmer, Park farm
Smith Robert and Alfred, farmers, Bowling green
Whitehair Henry, farmer, The Foxwalks
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Grafton Manor is an extra-parochial liberty, about a mile and a half from Upton Warren, containing in 1851 a population of 32 inhabitants.
The manor of Grafton was formerly a Chapelry belonging to Bromsgrove, till the reign of Henry II., when an arrangement was made between the prior and the monks of Worcester, and Bishop William de Bloys, by which it was made over to the former, and has since become extra-parochial.
There is a small Roman Catholic Chapel here. Rev. Henry Campbell, Priest.
Campbell Rev. Henry, Roman Catholic Priest
Kendrick Richard, Esq., Manor House
Webber Mr. Henry, Park Hall
Packwood John, farmer, East Lodge; also The Fox, Bromsgrove
Holmes Edmund Jackson, farmer, West Lodge
Parkes George, farmer, The Park
Parkes Thomas, farmer, The Lodge
Smith William, farmer, Bowling Green
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Campbell Rev. Henry
Keight William, farmer
Lucas Robert, farmer
Parkes Thomas, farmer
Rufford George, esq.
Snell Thomas, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
County: Worcestershire Civil Registration District: Droitwich Probate Court: Search surrounding parishes Diocese: Not Applicable Rural Deanery: Not Applicable Poor Law Union: Bromsgrove Hundred: Halfshire Province: Canterbury