Grafton Flyford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Alternative names: Grafton-Super-Flyford, Flyford Grafton
Other places in the parish include: Libbery.
Parish Church: St. John
Parish registers begin: 1676
Flyford Grafton, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester; 2 ¾ miles E of Spetchley r. station, and 6 ½ N by E of Pershore. It includes the hamlet of Libbery. Post-town, Spetchley, under Worcester. Acres, 1,640. Real property, £1,832. Pop., 225. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £75. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is ancient, with a pinnacled tower; and was recently in bad condition. An endowed school has £31; and other charities £8. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Flyford-Grafton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Pershore, county of Worcester; 7 miles east-east by north of Worcester. Living, a rectory in the archd, and dio. of Worcester; rated at £20 0s. 10d.; gross income £120. Patron, in 1835, the Earl of Coventry. Here is a school with a moderate endowment. Charities, £27 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £53 7s. Acres 1,640. Houses 48. A. P. £2,343. Pop., in 1801, 184; in 1831, 242. Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Grafton Flyford – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 7 ½ miles E. from Worcester, and 112 from London; containing 43 inhabited houses. Here is a good free school for all the boys in the parish: at present there are two masters, chosen by opposite parties, who are contending in Chancery, which has the right of choice. The living is a rectory; Rev. Richard Darke, incumbent; instituted 1797; patron, the Earl of Coventry. Population, 1801, 184 – 1811, 221 – 1821, 241. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Grafton-Super-Flyford (the latter name a streamlet so called) is a village and parish 7 ½ miles E. of Worcester on the road for Alcester, 8 S.E. of Droitwich, and 7 N. of Pershore; in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Upper Pershore; union, petty sessional division, and county court district of Pershore; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; polling district of Inkberrow; annual rateable value, £1,820; area of parish, 1,640 acres; population in 1861, 225; in 1871, 234, with 51 inhabited houses, and 55 families or separate occupiers. The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor and principal landowner. William Laslett, Esq., and Henry Moore, Esq., are also landowners here. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, beans, and oats. Grafton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Pershore; living, a rectory; value £260, with residence; patron, the Earl of Coventry; rector, Rev. Alfred Ernest Richings, who was instituted in 1876. The church of St. John, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1875; the cost of the chancel was defrayed by the Rev. G. R. Port, the then rector, and the remainder of the building by subscription. It is chiefly in the perpendicular style, and consists of chancel with small chapel on the north side, nave, and western tower containing five bells, on which are some curious inscriptions. A new rectory-house was erected in 1878. There is a free school here, poorly endowed; and many bequests have been left in aid of the school, the poor, and the repairs of the church, which have been the subject of much litigation. Libbery is a hamlet 1 mile S.W.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town. No delivery on Sundays.
Parish Church (St. John’s). – Rev. Alfred Ernest Richings, Rector; Mr. James Pardoe and Miss Mary Herbert, Churchwardens; James Lamb, Parish Clerk.
Free Church School (boys and girls). – Mr. James Lamb, Master; Mrs. Lamb, Sewing Mistress.
Carriers to Worcester. – John Clarke (from Stock green) passes through on Saturdays; Ryland and Marshall pass through on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Richings Rev. Alfred Ernest (rector), The Rectory
Atkins William, farmer, Jasper’s farm; res., Bath road, Worcester
Bluck Benjamin, shopkeeper
Bolton Thomas, farmer; res., Kington
Court Thomas, farmer; res., North Piddle
Cowley George & Oliver, farmers, Woodhouse end
Cowley John, shopkeeper
Cowley Richard, Rose cottage
Harris Adonijah George, miller and farmer, Grafton mill and Libbery farm
Herbert The Misses Mary and Martha, farmer, Church farm
Lacy James, farmer, Woodhouse end
Lamb James, schoolmaster, parish clerk, assistant overseer, and registrar of births and deaths for Upton Snodsbury district
Pardoe James, farmer, Hill court and Rectory farm
Seeney James, farmer, Hill Top farm
Stephens William, shopkeeper
Streeter Edwin, farmer, Libbery
Unton Nathaniel, farmer, The Elms farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Grafton Flyford is situated about 8 miles N.N.E. from Worcester, a little out of the main road from Worcester to Alcester. The village is small, and the parish scattered. It contained a population in 1851 of 214 inhabitants.
Flyford was attached to Grafton, to distinguish it from Grafton near Bromsgrove, and also from a brook which runs near to it.
Libbery is a small hamlet, the population of which is returned with the parish.
The Church, which is pleasantly situated on an eminence, is an ancient pile, consisting of nave, chancel, north chapel, and western tower, with embattlements, containing six bells. The prevailing styles are the perpendicular and early English. The tower has rude carved stone figures at each angle. The chancel contains memorials to the Stonehall and Derby families, and a Latin inscription to Rogerus Stonhallus, who was one of the founders of a school here, bearing date 1645. the living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the trustees of the Earl of Coventry. Rev. Bernard Port, M.A., Rector; Rev. William Unett Coates, B.A., Curate; Mr. Henry Price, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.; Summer months, 3 30 p.m.
The School, situated near the church, was founded and endowed by roger Stonehall and Sir John Grafton, who died in 1645. Sir John Grafton, Knight, as shown by the table of benefactions, gave a house, and a quarter of an acre of land, called Child’s Place, in Woodhouse End fields; also a piece of ground called The Stockings, containing about six acres; and also about seven acres in North Piddle fields; the rents to be divided – one moiety towards a school – the other to be again divided, one half towards repairing the church, and the other to be given to the poor. Mr. Roger Stonehall gave £100, to be laid out in land, which purchased one close of about eight acres, for the maintenance of a schoolmaster, to instruct poor men’s children; he also gave the rent of one house and close to be yearly distributed to two of the oldest poor people of the parish. Mr. William Dugard gave one acre of land, the rent to be divided for the school, repairing the church, and the benefit of the poor.
Charities – In addition to the above benefactions, there are several others, which are laid out in bred, &c., and given to the poor of the parish at stated periods in accordance with the will of the donors.
Ardin Thomas, wheelwright
Ardin William, farmer, Woodhouse
Biddle George and Henry, farmers, Rectory Farm
Bishop Thomas, shopkeeper
Bolton William, farmer, Hill Top
Cowley John, shopkeeper
Gerrard George, farmer, Hill court
Herbert Mary, farmer, Church Farm
Harris Adonijah George, miller, Grafton Mill
Lamb James, commercial schoolmaster, Registrar of Birth and Deaths for the Upton Snodsbury District, and Assistant Overseer, School House
Lilley Joseph, shoe maker
Pardoe James, farmer, Shattery
Pardoe William, farmer, Jaspers
Ewins John, farmer
Read William, farmer, Libbery Farm
Price, Parish Clerk
Wythes William, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Grafton Flyford, 6 miles from Droitwich, containing 42 houses, and 184 inhabitants.
Bellers William, farmer
Burbage C., farmer
Elliott Joseph, farmer
Ewins Thomas, farmer
Handy Richard, farmer
Hewitt Thomas, farmer
Hodgkins Thos., miller
Hopkins Wm., farmer
Morris Thomas, farmer
Podmore George esq.
Tandy John, farmer
Unton John, farmer
Woodward J., farmer
Woodward Wm., farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.