Frankley is a chapelry of Halesowen Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin: 1598
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.Marriages at Frankley 1604 to 1812 - Archive.org
Frankley, a parish in Bromsgrove district, Worcester; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles WNW of Kings-Norton r. station, and 7 NNE of Bromsgrove. Post town, Hales-Owen, under Birmingham. Acres, 1, 901. Rated property, £993. Pop., 122. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. Lord Lyttleton takes hence the title of Baron. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, not reported. Patron, Lord Lyttleton. The church is partly of the time of Henry III., and was recently restored. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Frankley (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Bromsgrove, Lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, Stourbridge and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Hales-Owen; containing 170 inhabitants. The parish consists of 1711 acres, of which the surface is hilly. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway passes on the east. The living is a donative, in the gift of Lord Lyttelton, who enjoys the title of Baron Frankley. The church is a small ancient edifice. Judge Lyttelton, who died here in 1481, was a native of the parish; and a piece of water called Westminster Pool, from its area corresponding in extent with that of Westminster Hall, was formed by him. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Frankley – a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Hales-Owen, Salop, in the hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 7 miles N.N.E. from Bromsgrove, and 118 from London; containing 32 inhabited houses. This place gives the title of Baron to the Lyttelton [sic] family. Population, 1801, 194 – 1811, 174 – 1821, 189. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Frankley is a very small parish, about 7 miles from Birmingham, and 3 from Halesowen, containing according to the census of 1851 a population of 125 inhabitants.
This parish was the birth-place of Judge Littleton, a celebrated law authority, whose Treatise on “Tenures”, a work of real merit, has been commented on the Coke, Sir M. Hale, Lord Chancellor Nottingham, and may other legal luminaries.
The Church is a small old stone building, dedicated to St. Leonard. It was repaired a few years ago. The living is in the gift of the Right Hon. Lord Lyttelton. Rev. J. Blagden, Incumbent; Mr. James Taylor, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Blagden Rev. J., Incumbent
Cooper Ann, farmer
Craddock Hezekiah, schoolmaster
Craddock John, carpenter
Jones Robert, farmer
Hodgetts Benjamin, farmer
Taylor Samuel, farmer
White Edward, farmer
White George, farmer
Whitehouse Jacob, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Avery Thomas, farmer
Bissell Thomas, farmer
Cooper James, farmer
George Joseph, farmer
Harrison William, farmer
Jones Mrs., farmer
Smith Mrs., farmer
Watton Joseph, farmer
White Aaron, farmer
White Thomas, farmer
Wright Joseph, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.