Elmley Lovett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1539
Elmley-Lovett – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 5 miles S.S.E. from Kidderminster, and 122 from London; containing 76 inhabited houses. Here is a good free school for all the boys in the parish, endowed with lands producing about £180 per annum, a certain portion of which is appropriated for the repair of the church, in compliance with the will of the donor. It is a rectory; Rev. John Lynes, incumbent in his own right. Population, 1801, 369 – 1811, 381 – 1821, 447.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Elmley Lovett is a village and parish 3 miles S.E. of Hartlebury, 5 N.W. of Droitwich, 6 S. of Kidderminster, 8 W. of Bromsgrove, and 11 N. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county, and hundred of Lower Halfshire; in the union, county court district, and petty sessional division of Droitwich; polling district of Chaddesley Corbett; annual rateable value, £5,487; area of the parish, 2,381 acres; population in 1861, 353; in 1871, 384, with 82 inhabited houses and 97 families or separate occupiers. William Orme Foster, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; chief crops, wheat, oats, and barley; the land is fertile, well wooded, and rather hilly. Elmley Lovett is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Kidderminster; living, a rectory; value £552, with residence and 28 acres of glebe; patron, the Master of Christ’s College, Cambridge; rector, Rev. Henry Perceval, M.A., Brasenose College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1837. With the exception of the tower and spire, the church (St. Lawrence’s) was rebuilt about 1839. The parish registers commence with the year 1539. The district school at Cutnal green, in this parish, was built by the Right Hon. Lord Hampton and William Orme Foster, Esq., for the benefit of four parishes, viz., Elmley Lovett, Hampton Lovett, Elmbridge, and Rushock, and to be used in connection with the Norris foundation. The school was subsequently enlarged by subscription of the landowners of the parish, and the parish of Doverdale incorporated into the district. There is an estate producing £150 per annum, the first charge upon which is the repair and maintenance of the church, two-thirds of the residue for the support of the school, and one-third for the poor of the parish. Cutnal Green, partly in this parish and partly in Elmbridge, and Snead’s Green, about 1 mile S.W. of the church, are now enclosed. Postal Regulations. – Joseph Yeates, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Droitwich at 7.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.50 p.m. Droitwich is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Lawrence’s). – Rev. Henry Perceval, M.A., Rector; Rev. Frederick Augustus Veysey, B.A., LL.B, Curate; Messrs. Joseph Moule and Henry Greaves, Churchwardens; Robert Lowe, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls), Cutnal green. – Mr. Geoffrey Marks, Master; Miss Hall, Assistant Mistress.
Braithwaite John Jenkins, Esq., Upton ho.
Moule Miss E., Snead’s Green house
Perceval Rev. Henry (rector), The Rectory
Veysey Rev. Frederick Augustus, B.A., LL.B. (curate), Stone house
Braithwaite J. Jenkins, farmer, Upton ho.; and at Firkins and Stone House farms
Clarke Geo., wheelwright, &c., Snead’s gn.
Edmunds Thomas, farmer, Bassage farm
Gardener Frederick, farmer, Hinchley fm.
Ginks Mrs. H., farmer, Snead’s green
Greaves Henry, farmer, New house
Henney Mrs. Martha, Chequers Inn
Hyde Miss E., shopkeeper, Cutnal green
Hyde Herbert, shoemaker, Cutnal green
Jones John, farmer, Little Acton
Lees John, gardener & farmer, Snead’s gn.
Lilley William, farmer
Lowe Robert, parish clerk
Marks Geoffrey, master of the national school, Cutnal green
Moss Alfred, farmer, Old Hyde farm
Moule Joseph, farmer, The Ryelands
Twigg John, carpenter & fmr., Cutnal gn.
Watkins Joseph, farmer, Valley farm
Webb James, gamekeeper, Bellington
Whitehouse Thos., farmer, Mnt. Pleasant
Winnall Joseph, farmer, Hyde farm
Winnall Thomas, farmer, Moat farm
Winnall William, farmer, Lake farm
Wright Benjamin, farmer, Jinglejoy’s fm.
Yeates Jph., sub-postmaster, Cutnal gn.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Elmley Lovett is situate about 3 miles E.S.E. from Stourport, 5 N.W. from Droitwich, 5 S.E. from Bromsgrove, and 6 S.W. from Kidderminster, comprising 2381 stature acres, and a population in 1851 of 395 inhabitants, being an increase of only six persons in ten years.
The historical associations in connection with the parish of Elmley Lovett are but few. We may mention, however, that the rectory, with a pension of £240 per annum, was given to Philip Hawford, or Ballard de Hawford, the last Abbot of Evesham, as compensation for having resigned that abbey, and all its possessions, into the hands of the King, having been created Abbot for the purpose. Near the church is a large ancient building, known as Elmley Lodge, its front consisting of several gables, on one of which is the motto, “Nisi Dominus, 1635,” from which it is supposed that at a remote period the lodge was encircled with rude wooden characters containing the whole of the 127th Psalm. About the beginning of the last century, the sentence was continued on several of the former windows.
The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, consists of nave, chancel, and western embattled tower, with spire. The tower contains six bells. The church, which is large and plain, was rebuilt, except the tower and spire, in the year 1830, at the expense of about £1,600. It has long lancet windows, and embattled parapet, the roof being open, but the edifice is entirely void of any interesting feature. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Rev. Henry Perceval, M.A., Rector; Mr. Benjamin Richards, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Free School, which is endowed for the education of the poor of the parish. By a Government extract of 1787, we find estates in this and adjoining parishes were left for the support of the Free School, repair of the church, and for the relief of the poor, amounting to £39, and the interest of £60. Mr. Benjamin Richards, Master. Average number of scholars, 25.
Charities – In addition to the before-mentioned, Mrs. Ann Best gave £5; Mr. Edmund Royall, £10; Mr. John Best, £10; Mr. John Aaron, £20; and Mr. Brand 10s. annually, for the benefit of the poor of the parish.
Forester Rev. Robert Townshend, B.A., Elmley Lodge
Perceval Rev. H., M.A., Rector, Rectory
Williams Mr. Thomas, Woodside Cottage
Allport James, farmer, Jingles
Aspey Henry, mason
Banner Joseph, wheelwright and carpenter
Clarke George, wheelwright
Cross Joseph Prince, bailiff to the Rev. R. T. Forester, Walton
Davenport James, farmer, The Valley
Harris Edward, butcher
Hawkes Thomas, farmer, The New House
Henney George, victualler, Chequers
Higley Edwin, blacksmith
Hyde John, shoe maker and shopkeeper
Jones Thomas, blacksmith
Moule Francis, farmer, Sned’s Green
Moule William, farmer, Ryelands
Redgate Samuel, farmer, Bellington
Richards Benjamin, schoolmaster and Parish Clerk
Richards George, carpenter
Roberts Amos, farmer
Rutter Daniel, farmer, Bassage
Twigg John, carpenter
Wells George, farmer, Tinker’s Farm
White Thomas, farmer, The Green
Winnall George, farmer, Upper Hyde; also of the Lower Hyde, Upton, and the Stone House
Winnall Thomas, farmer, The Moat
Winnall William, farmer, The Lake; also of the Blind Field
Wright Benjamin, wheelwright and carpenter
Yeates Joseph, shoe maker
Post Office – Mary Baylis, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 1030 a.m.; despatch, 10 30 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855