Eldersfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1718
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
Eldersfield, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 6 miles west-west by south of Tewkesbury. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £8 16s. 3d.; gross income £260. Patron, in 1835, Sir A. Lechmere, Bart. Here is a daily school, endowed by Mrs. Pollock with the interest of £500. Other charities, in 1829, £17 10s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £460. Acres 3,400. Houses 144. A. P. £5,337. Pop., in 1801, 750; in 1831, 787.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Eldersfield – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 7 miles W. from Tewkesbury, 110 from London; containing 146 inhabited houses. The living is a rectory; the Rev. C. Dunn, incumbent; instituted 1813; patron, Sir Anthony Lechmere, Bart. Population, 1801, 750 – 1811, 729 – 1821, 743.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
ELDERSFIELD is situate about 9 miles from Upton, 7 from Tewkesbury, and 9 from Gloucester, containing in 1851 a population of 704 inhabitants.
CORSE LAWN is about 2 miles S.E. from the church.
LINK END is a small hamlet belonging to the parish, from which it is distant about 2 miles E.
RUE GREEN is another small hamlet, about half a mile N.E. from the village.
THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a stone edifice, in the early English style of architecture. It has a very handsome spire, containing six musical bells. The living is a vicarage. Rev. Richard Holmes, Vicar; Mr. Thomas Dee, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL is supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Mr. Thomas Dee, Master; Mrs. Dee, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 35.
Holmes Rev. Richard, Vicar
Briscoe James, farmer, Nash End
Briscoe Benjamin, beer retailer, Bridge End
Chandler Joseph, farmer, Red House
Hall William, farmer, Eldersfield Court
Hatton William, farmer, Marsh Court
Hatton William, farmer, The Hill
Hodges George, market gardener, Gadfield’s Elm
Hogg Mary, farmer, Parsonage Farm
Jeffs Thomas, farmer
Jennings Henry, farmer
Jennings Thomas, farmer, The Hill
Messenger Thomas, farmer
Penson Mary Ann, farmer, Moor End
Penson Thomas, farmer, Cromer’s Farm
Poole William, carpenter
Shipton James, miller and farmer, The Hill
Stew Thomas, blacksmith, Bridge End
Awford William, shopkeeper
Barrett Richard, blacksmith
Beale Michael, beer retailer and carrier
Beale William, farmer, Chettles Farm
Bick George, farmer
Bishop William, farmer, Drinker’s End
Coates William, wheelwright
Crook John, victualler and dealer, Green Dragon
Hartwright James, farmer, Lucas Farm
Hawker Isaac, farmer
Hunt Joseph, shopkeeper
Manning George, butcher and farmer
Newman James, blacksmith and farmer
Weaver James, tailor
Wilkes Joseph, farmer
Yeomans Mrs., farmer
Fowler James, farmer, Link End House
Fowler Sarah, farmer, Link End Farm
Halsey John, farmer
Birt Samuel, farmer
Baylis Henry, farmer, Rue Green
Post Office, Corse Lawn – John Crook, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.
Gloucester, Beale, from Corse Lawn, Tues. and Sat., 6 p.m. Bray, from Rue Green, Sat., 6 a.m.
Tewkesbury, Bray, from Rue Green, Wed., 6 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855