Daylesford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1674
Daylesford, a parish in the district of Stow-on-the-Wold, and county of Worcester; and on the West Midland railway, at the boundaries with Oxford and Gloucester, ¾ of a mile SSE of Addlestrop r. station, and 3 ½ E of Stow-on-the-Wold. Post-town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 653. Real property, £919. Pop., 108. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. Daylesford House belonged for centuries to the Hastings family; was rebuilt by Warren Hastings in the year of the commencement of his trial; was his residence during the last twenty-four years of his life; and, together with the estate belonging to it, was sold, in 1853, for £30,250. A monastery was founded at Daylesford, in the 8th century, by one of the kings of Mercia; and given, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to Evesham abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £152. Patron, Mrs. Hastings. The church was rebuilt in 1861; and is a small cruciform structure, in the early decorated style, with rich adornments in coloured marbles.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Dailsford – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division, four miles E.N.E. from Moreton, and 80 from London; containing 19 inhabited houses, entirely surrounded by Gloucestershire. The culture of cinque-foil in England was first introduced here. Dailsford is also remarkable for containing the mansion-house of the late Mr. Hastings, the descendant of one of the oldest families in the Kingdom, who at the age of thirty-six, in 1761, became a member of the Bengal government, and in 1772 he received the appointment of governor of that establishment. On his return to England in 1785, Mr. Burke on the 20th June, the day of his arrival, moved an impeachment against him in the House of Commons, and after a minute examination into twenty-two articles exhibited against him on his trial in the House of Lords, which continued seven years, the greatest number of peers who considered him guilty on any of the charges was only six, whilst on the others they were unanimous in pronouncing him not guilty. The church is a rectory; Rev. T. Bath Woodman, incumbent; instituted 1814; patroness, Mrs. Hastings. Population, 1801, 94 – 1811, 102 – 1821, 103.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Daylesford is a small agricultural parish, situate in a detached portion of the county, about 3½ miles from Stow-on-the-Wold, with a population in 1851 of 66 inhabitants.
The Church is a small, ancient building, dedicated to St. Peter, and has no architectural features worthy of note. Rev. Thomas Winter, Rector; Mr. John Webb, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Grisewood Harman, Esq.
Winter Rev. Thomas P.
Bowles John, farmer
Bowles Thomas, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Bowles Thomas, farmer
Dadge Samuel, farmer
Hastings Hon. Mr.
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.