Crowle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Crowle parish also include: Sale Green
Parish Church: St. John The Baptist
The earliest register is dated 1539.
Nonconformists: Wesleyan Methodist
The national school for Crowle and Huddington was erected in 1864.
Crowle – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 5 miles E. of Worcester, and 109 from London; containing 69 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. G. Egremont, incumbent; instituted 1798; patroness, Mrs. Egremont. Population, 1801, 346 – 1811, 385 – 1821, 461. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Crowle lies about six miles southeast of Droitwich. It is a pleasant village, but not much frequented, being out of the general line of high roads: we mention it particularly, as there is an anecdote respecting it, which may give some insight into the manners of the priesthood and convent of Worcester; and a short time before the dissolution, some reasons having induced that body to tempt William More, their then prior, to resign, they gave him in lieu this town of Crowle, with the plate, linen, and furniture; at the same time they permitted him still to retain apartments at the priory, gave him the keep of two geldings, sufficient fuel at both places, a monk to wait on him and say mass, and fifty pounds per annum. They gave him also the immediate sum of 1000 marks, and paid his debts amounting to 100l. Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Crowle, five miles east from Worcester; the church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. In a field adjoining Oddington was discovered, near two centuries ago, a coffin lined with lead, containing the bones of a man, with an urn at the head of it, supposed to have been the remains of a Danish warrior, Simund the Dane, who had fallen in battle; traces of fortifications are distinguishable here, which confirms the spot to have been a place of an engagement formerly. Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Distances – 5 miles E. of Worcester, and 6 S.E. of Droitwich.
Population – In 1901, 544. Acreage, 1656.
Postal Information – Post Office, George Salisbury, Sub-Postmaster. Letters and parcels arrive by messenger from Worcester at 7. 15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.55 p.m. on week-days, and at 10.30 a.m. on Sundays. Upton Snodsbury is the nearest telegraph office. Worcester is the nearest money order office and post town. Letters for Sale Green are received through Droitwich. Postal orders issued and paid here. Letter-box at Sale Green cleared at 6.30 p.m. Letter-box near the Rectory cleared at 6.30 p.m. week-days only.
Parish Church (St. John The Baptist) – Rev. John Bamber, M.A., Vicar; Paul Martin and A. W. Gadesden, Churchwardens, Messrs. Griffin, Gibbs, Gwilt, White, and Dr. Liptrot, Sidesmen; Edward Griffin, Organist and Parish Clerk; A. Young, Sexton.
Elementary School (boys, girls, and infants) - Edward Griffin. Master.
Police Station – Frank H. Barrett, Constable.
Carriers to Worcester – Samuel Edward Wilks on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Plough Inn, Silver Street; James Andrews on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Turk’s Head Inn, Lowesmoor.
Allcott Edward W., beer retailer (out-door), Sale green
Andrews James, carrier, Hawthorn cottage
Bamber Rev. John, M.A., (vicar of Crowle and rector of Broughton Hackett), Vicarage
Barrett F. H., police constable
Best Jno. Elliot, Little white house farm
Bolton Miss, Oak house
Cooper Alfred Samuel, builder
Cooper George, blacksmith and farrier, and at Whittington
Cooper Samuel, farmer, Old farm
Crocker Edwin, farmer, New Chequers farm and Friezland farm
Cross Adam, butcher, Crowle green
Faulkner Arthur Henry, farmer, Crowle green farm and Bleak House farm
Gibbs William, farmer, White house
Green W. J., Old Chequers Inn
Griffin Edward, schoolmaster, parish clerk, and organist, School house
Gwilt Mrs. Ann, farmer, Crowle court
Hanson Solomon, threshing machine propr.
Hencher William, baker, beer retailer (out-door), Crowle house
Houghton James, boot and shoe maker
Liptrot Dr. W., The Bleak house
Loxley Alfred, Fox Inn, Sale green
Martin Paul, farmer, Kemerton villa
Mole James, market gardener, New house
Phipps Henry, farmer, The Mordaunts
Salisbury Geo., sub-postmaster, Post office
Till George, blacksmith and farrier
Tyler Frederick, carpenter, Sale green
Wasley Mrs. Mary, baker and shopkeeper
Wilks Edward Samuel, carrier and haulier
Wilks Henry, shopkeeper; res., Hi[m]bleton
Wilks Joseph, butcher, baker, and grocer, The Green
Wythes Joseph, farmer, Commandery farm and Hunt’s farm; and steward for Capt. Castle, Rectory farm
Froxmer court – Void
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Crowle (anciently written Crohlea) is a village and parish 5 miles E. of Worcester and 6 S.E. of Droitwich; is in the western division of the county, Middle Oswaldslow hundred, Droitwich union and county court district, Broughton Hackett polling district, and Worcester petty sessional division; area of parish, 1,640 acres; annual rateable value, £3,548; population in 1861, 576; in 1871, 532; inhabited houses, 113; families or separate occupiers, 128. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are the trustees of Lieut.-Colonel Clowes, Captain D. Galton, trustees of the late Mr. R. Smith, Captain Castle, Mr. Wilson, and the Rev. W. H. Woolrych. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, &c. Crowle is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester; living, a vicarage, value £400, with residence, in the patronage of, and held by, the Rev. William Henry Woolrych, B.A., Pembroke College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1860, and is also vicar of Huddington. The church of St. John the Baptist is an interesting cruciform structure in the Early English style, with tower containing five bells. It has a Norman chancel, a fine old porch with holy-water stoup, a door, lock, and key of Perpendicular work, a 12th-century lectern of Purbeck marble, and many other curious remains. The earliest register is dated 1539. The national school for Crowle and Huddington was erected in 1864. It has accommodation for upwards of 100 children. The Rev. Richard Harrison left the interest of £50, and Robert Smith, Esq., the interest of £90 to the poor; Elizabeth Attwood left the interest of £20 to old maids or widows; land left by another benefactor produces about £50 yearly, which is now used for the repair of the roads, the fabric of the church, and the relief of the poor. At Crowle court some remains of the ancient manor-house of the Priors of Worcester (the retiring place of Prior Moore shortly before the Dissolution), with its moat, fish-ponds, and gardens, may still be traced. Froxmer Court is the residence of Thomas William Hill, Esq.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester about 9 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.25 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town. Letters from Sale Green are received through Droitwich.
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist’s). – Rev. William Henry Woolrych, B.A., Patron and Vicar; Messrs. John Winnall and James T. Cowton, Churchwardens; Thomas Tombs, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Edward Griffin, Master.
Carrier to Worcester. – John Hughes (on Wednesdays and Saturdays), stops at the old Greyhound Inn, New street, returning at 4 p.m.
Baylis Mr. Caleb, Kemerton villa
Hill Thomas Wm., Esq., Froxmer court
Wilson John Joseph, Esq., The Mordaunts
Woolrych Rev. William Henry, B.A. (Patron and vicar of Crowle and vicar of Huddington), The Vicarage.
Anderson Robert, farmer, Friezland farm
Bear William, Fox Inn, Sale green
Bullock William, surveyor of highways
Bunn Joseph, Crowle green
Cooper George, blacksmith and farrier; and at Whittington
Cowton Charles, farmer, Old house
Cowton James Thomas, Old Chequers Inn
Crocker Mrs. Elizabeth, New Chequers Inn
Gittus Thomas, V., beer retailer, Sale green
Griffin Edward, schoolmaster
Hadley Alexander, baker and maltster
Huband John, farmer, New house
Hughes Joseph, shopkeeper
Lewis Mr., farmer, Bleak house
Meek Alexander, farm bailiff to Samuel Wilson, Esq., Crowle court
Munslow Fredk., vet. Surgeon, Oak house
Phillips George, wheelwright and builder, White house
Rea William, shopkeeper
Smith Mrs. Abigail, farmer, Rectory farm
Smith Mrs. Thos., frmr., Crowle Green fm.
Spencer Joseph, tailor
Till George, blacksmith and farrier
Tombs Mrs. dressmaker
Tombs Thos., shoemaker & parish clerk
Tomlinson Mr., farmer
Tyler John, carpenter, Sale green
Wilks Samuel, shopkeeper, &c.
Wilson John Joseph, farmer and landowner, The Mordaunts; and Gordon’s farm, Tibberton
Winnall James & John, farmers, Hunt’s fm.
Wythes Joseph, farmer, Commandry fm.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Crowle is a village and parish situate about 5 miles E.N.E. from Worcester, with an area of 1640 acres, and a population of 580 inhabitants.
The chief object of interest to the antiquarian in this locality is Crowle Court, formerly the residence of William More, a Prior of Worcester, who retired here after having resigned office, about the year 1536. It is a curious specimen of the ancient moated baronial residences. This mansion is supposed to have been erected about the middle of the twelfth century, the oldest portion being of the Gothic style, long prior to the Reformation, but the greater part was rebuilt for the accommodation of the Prior. There are the remains of a noble dining hall, with carved corbel heads supporting the roof.
The Church is a very ancient pile, in cruciform shape, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and western tower, of three stages, with embattlements, and diagonal buttresses. The chancel and transepts are in the Norman style. There is a lectern, and ancient relic very rarely to be met with. It is of marble, with decorated foliage, having two animals’ heads reversed on the sides, and on the front the figure of a divine kneeling, with the hands thrown back over the shoulder. This singular and ancient specimen of art was restored, after having lain in the churchyard many years. It is supported by five marble circular pillars, of modern date, as appears form the original capitals on which it stands. The font is also an ancient specimen, of octagonal shape, having the cross foliated on each face, and canopy-work on the shafts. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the present Vicar, the Rev. Henry Armel Greene, LL.B. At present there is no appointed Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
The Parochial School, for the education of children of the parish, is supported principally by the Rev. H. A. Greene, Vicar, and Lieutenant-Colonel Clowes. Ann Gilding, Mistress. Average number of children, 40. There is also a Sunday School attached. Charities – Mrs. Elizabeth Attwood, of Claines, gave in 1720 the interest of £20, to poor widows or old maidens of Crowle, to be distributed annually on St. John the Evangelist’s day. Giles Trimnell, late of Tibberton, gave £5 to the poor, the interest to be distributed on St. Thomas’s day: the interest having fallen from six to five per cent, Anne, his last wife, added twenty shillings more to keep the interest the same. There is also a gift of nineteen acres of land and tenements in the parish, the interest to be applied to the repairs of the church and the parish roads.
Clowes Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas, Froxmere Court
Crane Rev. Edwin, B.A., Rector of Kington and Perpetual Curate of Huddington, Oak House
Greene Rev. Henry Armel, LL.B, Vicar of Crowle and Upton Snodsbury, Vicarage
Bagshaw Arthur, farmer, Lower Crowle
Bagshaw John, victualler, Old Chequers
Bridgins Joseph, carpenter, Sales Green
Bunn Joseph, baker
Chamberlain William, gamekeeper to Colonel Clowes
Checketts Thomas, wheelwright
Cottrill John P., farmer, Folly Corner
Crocker Esther, victualler, New Chequers
Dolphin William, shopkeeper
Gittus Thomas, victualler, The Fox, Sales Green
Gough Thomas, tailor
Haidon Thomas, wheelwright
Haynes Jonathan, farmer, White House
Lilley Guy, shopkeeper
Lloyd John, farmer, and land surveyor; also of the Lower Barn
Milner Charles, farmer, Rectory Farm, Lower Crowle
Moseley William, shoe maker
Munslow Frederick, veterinary surgeon
Munslow Sarah, blacksmith
Partington Henry, farmer, Friezeland; and of the Woods Farm
Phipps Olivia, farmer, New House
Skinner Arthur, carpenter
Smith John, farmer, Hunt’s Farm
Smith Robert, farmer Crowle Green
Smith Robert, farmer, Crowle Court
Smith William, baker, maltster, and shopkeeper
Spencer Joseph, tailor
Tombs Arthur, carpenter
Tombs Robert, shoe maker
Tombs Thomas, shoe maker
Wall John, Police Officer, Station
Wilkes Samuel, shopkeeper and butcher
Winnall James, farmer, Commandry Farm, Lower Crowle
Post Office – Mr. William Smith, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Crowle, 5 miles from Worcester, containing 60 houses, and 346 inhabitants.
Bagshaw Mrs., farmer
Bagshaw Arthur, farmer
Barber Thomas, farmer
Curnock John, farmer
Davis John, farmer
Green Joseph, farmer
Harrison Rev. Richard
Healey John, farmer
Holbeach Wm., farmer
Parke Rawson, esq.
Richards John, farmer
Roberts Thomas, farmer
Smith Robert, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.