Croome D’Abitot with Pirton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Pirton.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1560; Separate registers exist for Pirton which begin 1538.
Croome D’Abitot, or Cromb-Osbern, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester; 4¼ miles west by south of Pershore, near the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory united to that of Pirton, in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £7; gross income £488. Patron, in 1835, the earl of Coventry. Charities, in 1830, 3s. 6d. Acres 1,510. Houses 25. A.P. £1,599. Pop., in 1801, 118; in 1831, 144. Poor rates, in 183S, £85.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Crome D’Abitot – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 6 miles S.S.E. from Worcester, and 107 from London; containing 18 inhabited houses. The church is a neat modern edifice, built by the late Earl of Coventry; it is a rectory; the Hon. and Rev. T. H. Coventry, incumbent; instituted 1806; patron, the Earl of Coventry. Populations, 1801, 118 – 1811, 109- 1821, 129.
Crome-Park, the seat of the Earl of Coventry, in the above parish. The house is a modern building, surrounded by upwards of 1400 acres, in a high state of cultivation.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Croom, seven miles from Worcester, a small distance from the road to Bath, is the seat of the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry, interspersed with a large fine park and pleasure-grounds, drained and beautified by an artificial river, over which are bridges in the Chinese taste; the whole, with Pirton-park adjoining, is very extensive, and beautifully situated. The mansion is of free-stone, on the front of which are his lordship’s arms, carved; on the south is a handsome flight of steps, on each side of which are two beautiful carved large lamias, in full length. In 1788 the seat was honoured with a visit by their majesties, when at Cheltenham Spa. The church is a new-built neat Cothic structure, and has a set of musical bells. The noble marble monuments are to the memory of the Coventrys.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Distances – 8 miles S.E. of Worcester, 4 N.E of Upton-on-Severn, and 5 W. of Pershore.
Population – In 1901, 160. Acreage 1164.
Postal Information – Post Office, High Green; Wilson Price, Sub- Postmaster. Letters are received from Worcester via Severn Stoke at 7.0 a.m. and 5. 0 p.m. on week-days; on Sundays at 7.0 a.m. only; despatched at 6.15 p.m. week-days and Sundays. Postal orders are issued here and paid. Severn Stoke is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. James’s) – Rev. Hugh Frederick Bennett, M.A., Rector; the Earl of Coventry and W. A. Hanson, Churchwardens; Thomas Clifford, Parish Clerk. The children of this parish attend the School at Severn Stoke.
Coventry The Right Hon. The Earl of, P.C. (Lord-Lieutenant of the County), Croome court; and 1 Balfour place, Park Lane, London, W., and White’s, Turf, and Carlton Clubs, S.W.
Chamberlain M. T., farm bailiff to Earl Coventry
Dachicour Henry, house steward to the Earl of Coventry
Davies Thomas, huntsman, The Kennels
Denley William, head gamekeeper to the Earl of Coventry
Gallie John A., forester to Earl Coventry
Garrett Wm., stud groom to Earl Coventry
Hanson Wm., beer retailer, Coventry Arms
Harding Clemenson, frmr., High green fm.
Hill John, land steward to the Earl of Coventry; residence, Severn Stoke
Price Wilson, blacksmith & sub-postmaster
Robinson Wm., headgrdnr. To Earl Coventry
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Croome D’Abitot is a village and parish 8 miles S.E. of Worcester, 4 N.E. of Upton-on-Severn, and 5 W. of Pershore; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; in the union and petty sessional division of Upton; county court district of Pershore; polling district of Kempsey; annual rateable value, £2, 072; acreage, 1,148; population in 1861, 163; in 1871, 144, with 25 inhabited houses and 27 families or separate occupiers. The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy clay, subsoil, marl; the parish is well drained, and includes large tracts of grass lands, where once were swamps. The other chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, and roots. The living is a rectory (consolidated with that of Pirton) in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Bredon; value, £550, with residence; patron, the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry; rector the Rev. Hugh Bennett, M.A., formerly Fellow of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1878, and resides at Pirton rectory. The church (St. James’s) stands on a beautiful elevated spot in the park, and has a tower containing six bells. It was erected in 1763, and contains several notable monuments to the Coventry family. The register begins with the year 1733. Croome Court, the seat of the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry, is a large handsome stone building, in the midst of a well-wooded park abounding with deer. The park and grounds were laid out by “Capability Brown” at an expense of £400,000.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester; those for High green should be addressed via Kempsey. There is no delivery on Sundays. Severn Stoke is the nearest money-order office. Kempsey and Upton are the nearest telegraph offices. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. James’s). – Rev. Hugh Bennett, M.A., Rector; Mr. Richard E. New, Churchwarden; Henry Clifford, Parish Clerk.
Coventry The Right Hon. the Earl of, J.P., D.L. (captain of the Hon. Corps of Gentlemen-at-arms), Croome court; and Thomas’s hotel, 25 Berkeley sq., London, W., and Carlton Club, S.W.
Bluck Thomas, woodward and bailiff to the Earl of Coventry, Croome timber yard
Child Walter, head gardener to the Earl of Coventry, D.L., Croome crt. gardens
Clifford Henry, parish clerk
Denley William, head gamekeeper to the Earl of Coventry, D.L.
Hadley Walter, stud groom
Hanson George, farm bailiff to the Earl of Coventry, D.L., Croome farm
Hardy Mrs., Coventry Arms Inn
Hill John, steward to the Earl of Coventry; res., Severn Stoke
Hood William, clerk of works to the Earl of Coventry, D.L., Croome timber yard
Jones William, huntsman to the Earl of Coventry, D.L., Croome Kennels
New Richard E., farmer, High Green farm
Price Mrs. Jane, blacksmith
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Croome D’Abitot is situated about 7 miles E.S.E. from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 140 inhabitants.
This parish, which is small, contains only two farm-houses, the mansion, the seat of the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry, the church, and a few cottages.
The Church is a small, substantial building. The windows are in imitation of the later pointed style; the tower has embattlements and pinnacles. The chancel contains several handsome monuments to the Coventry family. The living, united with Pirton, is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Coventry. Rev. W. L. Isaac, M.A., Rector; Mr. Israel Clifford, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Coventry The Right Hon. the Earl of
Clarke William, gardener and florist to the Earl of Coventry
Clifford Israel, Parish Clerk
Green Charles, farmer, Croome Farm
Green Henry, farmer, High Green
Gregory William, park and game keeper to the Earl of Coventry
Hardy Alfred, gardener to the Earl of Coventry
Lane Mary, victualler, Coventry Arms
Price John, blacksmith
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Coventry Rt. Hon. Earl
Gaunt James, farmer
Higginson Nath., vict
Taylor George, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.