Clent is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Upper Clent and Lower Clent, Holy Cross.
Parish registers begin: 1561
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Methodist.
Clent, a parish formerly in the south division of the hund. of Seisdon, union of Bromsgrove, county of Stafford, but included in Worcestershire, to which county it is now annexed; 3½ miles south-south-east of Stourbridge. Living, a vicarage with the perpetual curacy of Rowley Regis, in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £8 16s. 5½d.; gross income £446. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. There are places of worship here for the Baptists and the Wesleyan Methodists. The Baptist church was formed in 1802. This parish possesses 2 daily and 3 infant schools, besides 2 charity-schools, one of which is a Sunday school with an endowment, in 1820, of £21 19s. 6d. per annum; and the other a day school with an endowment of £8. The church lands in this parish yielded, in 1820, an annual rent of £67 3s.; Maris and Cole’s charity to the poor, an income of £35; and minor charities £8 7s. Acres 2,520. Houses 188. A. P. £4,337. Pop., in 1801, 738; in 1831, 922. Poor rates, in 1838, £336 10s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Holy-Cross, a small village in the parish of Clent, county of Stafford; 3½ miles south by east of Stourbridge, on the Broomsgrove road. Large fairs are held here, on the second Wednesdays in April and September, for cheese, linen-cloth, and cattle. Returns with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851