Cleeve Prior is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1598
Cleeve-Prior, 5 m. N.E. Evesham. P. 366
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Cleeve-Prior – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division, 5 miles N.N.E. from Evesham, Worcestershire , and 98 from London; containing 68 houses. This village stands on an eminence, on the southern bank of the river Avon, the scenery round which is extremely pleasing.
A labouring man residing at South Littleton, lately employed in working a quarry in this parish, discovered two pots of coins, one of gold, the other of silver, principally specimens of Gratian, Valentinian, and Theodosius; they were found at the depth of about 3 feet, having dug through sixteen inches of soil, four of limestone, and eighteen of clay. A goldsmith in London offered him £300 for them, which he refused.
The living is a vicarage; the Rev. R. D. Stillingfleet, incumbent; instituted 1812; patron, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 287 – 1811, 322 – 1821, 343
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint edMarriages at Cleeve Prior 1599 to 1837
Cleeve Prior, or Prior’s Cleve, is a small village and parish, 5 miles from Evesham, containing in 1851 a population of 329 inhabitants.
The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence, but the ground around it is flat, and the meadows on the banks of the Avon, which enters the county in this parish, are sometimes flooded. In 1812, in working a quarry here, two earthen jars of Roman coins were found at a depth of three feet from the surface. The one contained gold and the other silver, chiefly of the reigns of Gratian, Valentinian, and Theodosius: they were all in good preservation. Portions of armour and military weapons have from time to time been discovered, tending to the generally received opinion that there was a Roman military station in the neighbourhood.
The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a stone building, in the early English style of architecture, with square turreted tower and pinnacles. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. Robert D. Stillingfleet, Vicar; Rev. John H. Carden, Curate; Mr. Charles Hemming, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small School in the village, supported principally by Mrs. Stillingfleet and the children’s payments. Jane Carter, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 35.
Carden Rev. John H., B.A., Curate
Holthom Mts., Manor House
Stillingfleet Rev. Robert D., M.A., Vicar
Callaway George, baker
Callaway William, farmer
Careless John, farmer
Farr Frederick W., maltster and baker
Farr Henry, tailor
Harris Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Holthom William, farmer
Lyne Robert, blacksmith
Mills John, shopkeeper
Rock Elizabeth, farmer
Rock John, farmer
Silvester Henry, victualler and shopkeeper, King’s Arms
Taylor Richard, miller
Taylor Robert, miller
Tomes Thomas B., farmer
Wilson Edward, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Baylis William, farmer
Baylis Henry, farmer
Bradshaw Samuel, gent.
Drury – , shopkeeper
Farr Henry, shopkeeper
Hulbert Harriet, mason
Keen Henry, baker
Lunn Ann, farmer
Nicholls Joseph, mason
Silvester Henry, mason
Tomes Thomas, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.