Claines is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire, formerly a chapelry to St. Helen’s, Worcester, being divided into several tythings, including the ancient manor of Northwick, but in 1218 it became a separate parish.
Other places in the parish include: Fernhill Heath, Bevere, Northwick, Astwood, Tolladine, Perdiswell, North Claines, Whitstones, and South Claines.
Church: St. John
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists in Claines include: Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Protestant Dissenters, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Claines, 2 m. N. Worcester. P. 6395
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Claines – an extensive parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 2 miles N. from Worcester, and 114 from London; containing 496 inhabited houses. This was originally only a chapelry to the church of St. Helen’s, Worcester, from which is was separated in 1218, and is now a distinct curacy. White Ladies, formerly a priory of seven or eight white nuns, is in this parish. In the early part of the last century, the chapel was still standing: the house is now a modern residence. When Charles II, retired here, after the battle of Worcester, he left his gloves and garters, which long remained in possession of the Cookseys, who then resided here. Bevere, an island, formed by Barbourn brook, which runs through this parish, is remarkable for having proved an asylum to the citizens of Worcester, in the days of Hardicanute, in 1041, when the inhabitants fled to this place, to avoid a general massacre, which he had ordered, leaving their property and habitations a prey to the soldiery; they likewise took refuge here during a dreadful pestilence in 1637, which carried off in a few months one thousand five hundred and fifty-one of the population, at that time comparatively small. The living is a curacy; Rev. Thos. Henry Newport, incumbent; patron, Henry Wakeman, Esq. Population, 1801, 1463 – 1811, 2194 – 1821, 2509.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
We now commence with the Environs of Worcester, and proceeding to the north, enter the parish of CLAINES, which was not a separate parish originally, but merely a chapelry belonging to St. Helen’s church within the walls, from which it was taken about 1218. It now reaches into the Foregate Street, although its church is nearly two miles distant, situated between the Kidderminster and Droitwich roads, among very fertile meadows, and surrounded by lofty groves; this contains a few monuments, but has nothing else worth notice. That part which borders on the city contains White Ladies, the seat of the late R. Ingram, Esq. and which formerly was the nunnery of Whitestone, a priory of (Tanner’s Monasticon) seven of eight white nuns, valued at 53l. 3s. 7d. at the dissolution, and granted to Richard Callowhill. The house itself is of more modern date, and forms a handsome rural residence, though almost within the bounds of the city. When Charles II retired here, after the unfortunate battle, he left his gloves and garters, (Stukeley’s Itinerary) which long remained in possession of the Cookseys, who then lived there; and, in the early part of the last century, the chapel of the nunnery was shall standing, and had some painted saints at one end. In this parish is also the island of BEVERE, or BEVERYE, formed by the Beverburn, a stream that flows through Claines parish, now called Barbon. This is supposed to have signified Beaver brook, as those animals were once native of this country. This island is remarkable for having twice proved an asylum to the citizens of Worcester; in the time of Hardiucanute in 1041, as already related; and in 1637, during the time of a dreadful pestilence, mentioned in our historical sketch. Dr. Nash records, that at that awful period the country people were so terrified as to desert the city markets, so that the few remaining inhabitants must have starved, had it not been for the gratuitous and charitable care of the gentry in the vicinity, who sent them bread and other provisions. In this delightful hamlet is the Seat of the late Dr. Nash, now on sale, or lately disposed of; the house is commodious and comfortable, and nothing can be pleasanter, so near to a large city, than the shrubbery walks and terrace, which are a mile in circuit, so judiciously are they managed, possessing the most varied and charming prospects of the Malvern and Abberly hills, and of an extent of landscape rich in wood, water, and picturesque scenery. This venerable clergyman has left charitable donations to the poor of Strensham, Kempsey, St. Peter’s Worcester, Claines his parish residence, and St. Peter’s Droitwich, where his ancestors had property. The hamlet itself is considered as highly salubrious, and is resorted to by the Worcestrians both for health and pleasure, and for cold bathing. ROSE PLACE, a small, but pleasant mansion, lies to the north-east of Worcester, of which city it has a most delightful prospect, with many other enchanting views; it is the seat of Thomas Williams, Esq.
PERDISWELL, the seat of J. Wakeman, Esq. is on the right hand of the Droitwich road, and is an elegant modern edifice, built of free stone. It presents a very pleasing appearance to the traveller, being at a sufficient distance from the road to have a good effect; and, having side screens, and a back ground of luxuriant plantations, possesses an air both of grandeur and comfort. There plantations have been laid out with considerable taste, considering that the ground is dead flat, and though yet in their infancy, they add much to the rural elegance of the environs of the City. The gateway is light and pleasing, and has two well executed medallions of Plenty and Commerce, with their appropriate symbols, illustrative of agriculture and navigation. BLANKETS is a commodities brick building, but has nothing remarkable; it derived its name from an ancient possessor.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Claines, a village about two miles from Worcester, is a very large parish, and has several elegant well-built mansions. That at Perdeswell, the seat of Henry Wakeman, Esq. lately erected, is built with free-stone. At the entrance, on each side the gate, are two carved figures, one representing plenty, and the other commerce, or navigation. The Blankets (which took its name from the ancient occupier Agnes Blanket) is a strong brick-built mansion. Rose-place, pleasantly situated adjoining the Birmingham road, has many good edifices. Anciently, Claines was only a chapelry to St. Helen’s, in Worcester: the church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
The island of Bevere, on the river Severn, is memorable for having defended the citizens of Worcester, in the reign of Hardicanute, from the ravages of his troops, who destroyed the city, on which island they remained five days; and in 1637 it became an asylum for them in time of a pestilence. Here are the seats, among others, of the Rev. Dr. Nash and John Hall, Esq. The water-works, from which the city of Worcester is supplied, has a lofty reservoir, one hundred feet in height, lately erected, on the top of which, for ornament, are placed canon.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Perdiswell Hall, the seat of Sir O. Wakeman, Bart., in Claines parish, Worcestershire; 1 mile NNE of Worcester.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
CLAINES (NORTH), WITH FERNHILL HEATH, BEVERE, NORTHWICK, ASTWOOD, TOLLADINE, &c.
The greater portion of the ancient Parish of Claines is now designated “South Claines,” and is comprised within the limits of the City of Worcester. The Names of the Residents are given under Worcester.
DISTANCE TO CLAINES CHURCH - 2 miles N. of Worcester.
POPULATION - In 1901 (North Claines), 2100. Acreage, 3530.
POSTAL INFORMATION - Post and Telegraph Office, Fernhill Heath; James Henry Barnett, Sub-Postmaster. Letters and Parcels arrive by messenger from Worcester at 7.55 a.m., and 3.0 p.m. ; despatched by rail at 10.55 a.m. and 6.35 p.m. on week-days; delivered 7.55 a.m. and despatched at 11.5 a.m. on Sundays. Telegraphic, money order, and savings bank business is transacted from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m. Express letters are received for delivery between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
Post Office, Claines (opposite the Church) - George Pritchard, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester at 7 a.m. ; despatched at 8.5 a.m. and 5.5 p.m. on week-days, arid at 11.45 a.m. on Sundays.
The Wall Letter-box at Bevere Knoll is cleared at 7.5 a.m. and 6.O p.m. on week-days only.
The Wall Letter-box at Northwick Hall is cleared at 6.35 a.m. and 6.25 p.m. on week-days only.
The Wall Letter-box at Dilmore Lane is cleared at 5.55 p.m. on week-days, and at 11.25 a.m. on Sundays.
PARISH CHURCH (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST) - Rev. Canon Alfred Stephenson Porter, M.A., F.s.A. (and rural dean), Vicar; G. Shrewsbury Smith and John Harvey Hooper, M.A., Churchwardens; Arthur Whinfield, Organist; George Pritchard, Sexton.
CLAINES CHURCH INSTITUTE AND WORKING MEN’S CLUB - Rev. A. S. Porter, M.A., F.S.A., President; George Pritchard, Secretary and Caretaker.
CLAINES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - Walter Kibblewhite, Master; Mrs. Harriet Kibblewhite, Mistress.
HINDLIP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (boys and girls), Fernhill Heath - John A. Wheeler, Master.
BAPTIST CHAPEL (in connection with Sansome Walk Baptist Church, Worcester), Fernhill Heath - Preachers various.
WORCESTERSHIRE HUNT - Kennels at Fernhill Heath; C. P. Mills, Master.
FERNHILL HEATH CRICKET CLUB - John Munslow, Secretary.
ASSISTANT OVERSEER FOR THE PARISH OF CLAINES - Henry White, Fernhill Heath.
COUNTY POLICE STATIONS - Joseph Charles Speak, Constable for Fernhill Heath ; Edwd. Sadler, Green lane, Constable for Claines.
AN OMNIBUS TO WORCESTER (in connection with the Worcester Tramways) leaves Fernhill Heath during the summer months at 10.15 a.m., 12 noon, 3.20, 4.50, 6.20, 7.50, 9.20 p.m. on week-days, and at 3.20, 4.50, 6.20, 7.50, and 9.20 p.m. on Sundays. The Ombersley Omnibus passes through Hawford five times daily on week-days, and three times on Sundays.
FERNHILL HEATH RAILWAY STATION (Great Western Railway) - Wm. Christopher, Station Master.
Allington John, farmer, Astwood
Ames Captain Fredk., J. P. , Hawford lodge
Andrews Mrs. E., Ye Virgin Tavern, Tolladine road
Andrews Thos., farmer & dealer, Astwood
Ashton Mrs., Morton house, Fernhill heath
Baldwin Henry, gardener, Ombersley road
Baldwin Thomas, joiner, Ombersley road
Barfield Zachariah R., Chatley villa, Droitwich road
Barker D. W., Ltd., brick manufacturers,Worcester patent brick works
Barnard Frederick Wm., farmer and dairyman, Bevere Green farm
Barnes Alfred, Hawford Inn
Barnett James Henry, sub-postmaster, Fernhill heath post office
Beck Albert, Mug House Inn, Claines churchyard
Beck Charles, farmer and dairyman, Corn Meadow farm
Beck F., dairy farmer, The Firs farm
Bennett S., Porter’s hill farm
Betteridge Wm., farmer, Great Tolladine
Bill Mrs. Susannah, miller, Mildenham mill
Bishop Charles, baker and grocer, Fernhill heath
Bough George, shopkeeper, Churchyard
Bowers Miss, shopkeeper, Fernhill heath
Brazier Fredk. Jas.. Lindhurst, Station rd.
Brewer Edwin, mkt. gardener, Green lane
Broadhurst John, gardener, Old Workhouse
Brown Mrs. Mary, Elm cottage, Station road, Fernhill heath
Bucknell John, White Hart Inn, Fernhill heath
Burgess E., 3 Station road
Burrows Fred., solicitor, Hill ho., Bevere
Callow Samuel, farm bailiff, Astwood
Carless W. Stanley, farmer, Raven farm and Moat house farm ; res., Worcester
Cartridge Arthur, Upper Tapenhall farm
Castle Mrs. E., Hawford house
Cave William Perry, farmer, Ladywood
Charke Miss, Elbury cottage, Tolladine rd.
Clunes Mrs., The Elms, Fernhill heath
Cook G. W., Hawford
Copple Mrs. Mary, The Laurels, Fernhill hth.
Christopher Wm., station master, Station road, Fernhill heath
Crofts Tom John, Rose vil., Fernhill heath
Curtler Frederick Lewis, Bevere house
Davidson William John, Oakfield
Davies Mrs. E., Keephill cot., Fernhill hth.
Dore Charles, engineer, Little Perdiswell
Dufty Chas., mkt. gardener, Droitwich road
Dutton Chas., Portfields villa, Tolladine rd.
Etheridge Albert, furniture remover, 2 Whinfield villas
Ewart Mrs., Northwick house
Firkins Joseph, farmer, Hawford
Griffiths Thomas, gardener, Corn meadow
Griffiths William, gardener, Corn meadow
Griffiths Wm. H., rope manufr., Wheatfield villa, Station road, Fernhill heath
Hancocks George, Cedars, Fernhill heath
Hard wick Miss, 2 Granville villas, Ombersley road
Harper Thomas, head gardener to Henry Walker, Perdiswell hall gardens
Hetherington Jos. Howard, Glenthorn
Hirons Arthur, New Inn, Ombersley road
Hogg James, Mount Elbury, Tolladine road
Hooper John Harvey, M.A., Tutnall
Horniblow Freeman, land surveyor, The Firlands, Fernhill heath
Horniblow Wm. Thorneloe, Fernhill heath
Hudson James, Fernhill heath
Hunt James, Northwick
Jackson J. A., miller, Porter’s mill
Jackson Mrs. Mary, farmer, Hill top, Bevere
Jackson Robert, farmer, Little Tolladine (and in Warndon parish)
Jacomb H. E., Northwick hall
Kibblewhite Walt., schoolmstr., Claines
King Mrs., 1 Grantham villas
Lane Geo., beer retailer (Halfway House],Fernhill heath
Langstone Robt., coml. travlr., 2 Hadley vils.
Larkworthy John Lavington, 1 Hadley villas, Droitwich road
Loch Captain George E., Bevere Manor
Lock C. P., Danes Green farm
McLeod Mrs., Bevere knoll
McNaught Arnold, Dilmore house, Fernhill heath
Manning John, agent, Fernhill heath
Medway Albt. Edwd., commercial traveller, Rose lawn, Fernhill heath
Morton Frederick William, Fernhill heath house
Moseley William, Moat farm, Astwood
Munslow John, grocer, &c., Fernhill heath
Mytton Hubert, butcher, Fernhill heath
Nash Mrs., Woodbine, Station road, Fernhill heath
Newbury Wm., gardener, &c., Northwick ; and fruiterer, &c., Worcester
Nicholas Nicholson, Elm pl., Fernhill heath
Nind Frederick, baker, Fernhill heath
Norckett Frank, head gardener, Hawford
Oldnall Capt., The Firs, Bevere
Peake Capt. W. H., Northwick Grange
Penney George, School lane, Fernhill heath
Philips Jas., The Linacres Farm. Milk, butter, and eggs supplied in the city twice daily.
Philips Robert, farmer & dairyman, Church farm
Pitchford E., engineer, Chatley villa, Droitwich road
Porter Rev. Alfred Stephenson, M.A., F.s. A. (vicar of Claines, rural dean of East Worcester, and hon. canon of Worcester Cathedral), The Vicarage
Powell William, coal agent, Lyttelton villas, Fernhill heath
Pratt Harry K., The Laurels, Fernhill heath
Price William, farmer, Blackpole
Prior-Wandesforde Hy. Wallis, The Grange
Pritchard George, sub-postmaster and parish sexton, Claines post office
Prosser Mrs. L., Dilmore lodge, Fernhill ht.
Pugh R. W., gasfitter, 5 Grantham villas
Ranford Harry, Raven Inn, Droitwich road
Reid W. G., engineer, Old Northwick
Ridlington Tom (Robert Allen & Co.)
Rigden E. Fownes, Rose place
Roper Walt. J., Church cot., Fernhill heath
Rossiter Geo., mkt. gardnr., Ombersley rd.
Rowe W. B. & Son, nurserymen and seedsmen, Barbourne nurseries
Rowe William Broad, The Nursery house
Sadler Edward, police constable for Claines
Salkeld Mrs. Jane, Gorse cot., Tolladine rd.
Sanderson Mrs. Frances Maria, Tapenhall house, Fernhill heath
Sansome Isaac John, farmer, Oak farm
Sherwood Mrs. Harriet, Fernhill heath
Shipway Maurice Alfred, farmer, Holy Claines farm; res,, London rd., Worcester
Smith Edwd., dairyman, near Claines church
Smith Geo. Shrewsbury, Common hill ho.
Smith H., general builder, &c., Station road, Fernhill Heath. Jobbing work and repairs promptly attended to
Smith Oscar, foreman iron worker, Perdiswell cottage
South Wales & Cannock Chase Coal & Coke Company, Ltd., dep6t at Fernhill heath station ; William Powell, Agent
Speak Joseph Charles, police constable, The Hollies, Fernhill heath
Taylor Jas, Colenso villa, Fernhill heath
Thomas Ernest Percy, Clifton villa, Fernhill heath
Thompson Mrs., Ellerslie vil., Fernhill hth.
Tolley Chas. Ed., Lings villa, Fernhill heath
Tolley Henry, bricklayer, Fernhill heath
Topham F., farm bailiff, Old Northwick
Turner Ephraim, farmer, Daniel’s farm
Turner Henry, Tapenhall farm
Turner John C., Goodwood ho., Fernhill ht.
Twinberrow John, Elbury house
Wakefield H., Live & Let Live, Fernhill hth.
Walker Arth.. manufactr.. Little Perdiswell
Walker Henry, D.L. , Perdiswell hall
Walker Thomas, gardener to Captain Loch
Walsh Frederick, Fernhill heath
Warner Mrs. Henrietta, miller, Hawford mill, Claines. Corn, wheat, bran, barley, beans, flour, &c.
Watkins William, farmer, Astwood
Webb William Wentworth, commercial traveller, Dilmore, Fernhill heath
Weimholt Miss, Fernhill Heath house
Wheeler John A., master of Hindlip elementary school, Fernhill heath
Whinfield Arthur, Severn grange
White Geo., gas fitter, 1 Florence villas, Whinfield road
White Henry, blacksmith, Fernhill heath
White Henry, assistant overseer, Station road, Fernhill heath
White Walter,, clerk, 4 Granville villas, Ombersley road
Whiting George, Corn meadow
Wiggall Alex. Arth., Bull Hotel, Fernhill ht.
Williams Mrs., Blackpole
Williamson Rev. John, 2 Grantham villas, Ombersley road
Wood Wm., Old Workhouse, Fernhill heath
Woodyatt Charles, farmer, Spellis farm (and in Hindlip parish)
Worrall John, Station road, Fernhill heath
Stanton Geo., letter carrier, Fernhill heath
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Claines, with Fearnall Heath, Bevere, Northwick, Astwood, Tolladine, &c.
Claines is a village about 2 ½ miles, N. of Worcester, but the parish is very extensive, its southern portion including the northern suburbs of the city, with the district churches of St. George and St. Stephen at Barbourne, the newly-formed Tything district church (St. Mary Magdalene’s) and the chapel of St. Oswald’s hospital. It is in the western division of the county, and is a polling place for that division; is in the Lower Oswaldslow hundred, Droitwich union, Worcester county court district and petty sessional division. The area of the entire parish is 4,813 acres; annual rateable value of the county part, £25,402, and the city part, £17, 828. The population in 1861 was 4,915; in 1871, 7,485; inhabited houses, 1,636; families or separate occupiers, 1,783. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and besides them Henry Walker, Esq., Thomas Gale Curtler, Esq., Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., Alfred C. Hooper, Esq., Josiah Stallard, Esq., Robert Berkeley, Esq., Thomas Barneby, Esq., and the Executors of the late Rev. W. E. Wall, are principal landowners. The land is fertile and well wooded; chief crops, wheat, barley, beans, and roots. There is a large nursery in the parish, belonging to Mr. W. B. Rowe. It has been proposed to improve the drainage and water-supply of this parish. Claines was formerly a chapelry to St. Helen’s, Worcester, being divided into several tythings, including the ancient manor of Northwick, but in 1218 it became a separate parish. It is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester; living, a vicarage value £340, including residence; patron, the Bishop of Worcester; vicar, Rev. William John Smallwood, M.A., Hertford College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1870. The church of St. John the Baptist is chiefly Perpendicular or 15th-century work; it has chancel, nave, aisles, porch, and tower with five bells. The registers say the great bell “was cast in ye Church House, A.D. 1589, Novr. 7th.” There are many ancient monuments; also several modern marble tablets to the Wakeman family. The east window is partly of stained glass, bearing the royal and Episcopal arms. The organ was presented by the late Sir H. Wakeman, and is in the gallery at the west end. The earliest register is dated 1538. The charities include various small sums to be distributed to the poor and to apprentice poor children. The national school was erected by subscription and societies’ grants, &c. The Worcester cemetery is situate at Astwood in this parish. Fearnall Heath, Fernhill, or Vernal Heath, 1 mile N.E. and 3 from Worcester, is a hamlet with a railway station on the Great Western railway. The kennels of the Worcestershire Hunt are situate near the railway station. There are several handsome villa residences in this pleasant village. At Morton house, the residence of Thomas Barneby, Esq., F.R.A.S., is an observatory, at which many interesting celestial observations are made. The island of Bevere is in this parish, and is remarkable as having afforded refuge to the inhabitants of Worcester, first in 1041, from the fury of Hardicanute, on account of their refusing to pay the Danegelt, and again in 1637, from a pestilence then raging in the city. Northwick, Tolladine, and Astwood are hamlets. Tapenhall is near Fearnall Heath railway station. Hawford is a hamlet near the junction of the river Salwarpe and the Droitwich canal with the Severn. Whistones a tything, and Barbourne a hamlet, form the part of the city of Worcester, with which the names are given. The principal residences in the parish of Claines are – Perdiswell Hall, a handsome mansion with an extensive park, until recently the property of Sir Offley Wakeman, Bart., but now the seat of Henry Walker, Esq.; Bevere House (Thomas Gale Curtler, Esq., J.P., D.L.); The Blanquettes (Josiah Stallard, Esq., D.L.); Hawford House (Captain Charles Castle); Hawford Lodge (Frederick Ames, Esq., J.P., M.F.H.); The Grange (Alfred C. Hooper, Esq.); Oakfield (at present void); Severn Grange (E. W. Whinfield, Esq.); and Bevere bank (Major Heyworth).
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Post and telegraph office, Fearnall heath; – , Sub-Postmaster. – Letters arrive by messenger form Worcester at 7.25 a.m.; despatched at 5.10 p.m. on week-days, and at 11.10 a.m. on Sundays. Postal telegrams may be sent from this office, and money orders are granted and paid, and post-office savings-bank business transacted. The letter-box at the entrance to the churchyard (parish church) is cleared at 4.10 p.m. on week-days and 11 a.m. on Sundays. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. John-the-Baptist). – Rev. Wm. John Smallwood, M.A., vicar; C. Castle and A. C. Hooper, Esqs., Churchwardens; Mr. Charles North, Organist; Moses P. Gregory, Parish Clerk; John Evans, Sexton.
National School (boys and girls). – Mr. Walter Kibblewhite, Master; Mrs. Harriet Kibblewhite, Mistress.
Congregational Chapel (in connection with Angel-street chapel, Worcester). – Ministers various.
Assistant Overseer and Collector of Income Tax for the Parish of Claines. – Mr. Charles William Taylor, St. George’s square, Worcester.
Registrar of Births and Deaths and Relieving Officer for the Claines District of Droitwich Union. – Mr. John Watton, North Barbourne.
Fearnall Heath Cricket Club. – Mr. John Daniels, Secretary. (The club is managed by a committee of seven members.)
Fearnall Heath Railway Station (Great Western Railway). – Charles Bennett, Station Master.
Abell George Pearce, Esq., Northwick villa
Ames Frederick, Esq., J.P. (master of the Worcestershire hunt), Hawford lodge
Bailey Mr. John, Stephenson cottage, Fearnall heath
Barker David W., Esq., Mayfield house
Barneby Thomas, Esq., F.R.A.S., Morton house, Fearnall heath
Baylis Richard, Esq., Dilmore lodge, Fearnall heath
Bayliss Wm. Henry, Esq., Mount Elbury
Berkeley Major H. W., Lyppard grange
Bird George Adam, Esq., Glenthorn
Brook Mrs. S., Keephill cot., Fearnall hth
Brook Mr. William, Hill cottage, Bevere
Castle Captain Charles, Hawford house
Chamberlain Mr., Church house
Cook Mr. Jas. C., Dilmore cot., Fearnall hth.
Copple Mrs., Fearnall heath
Crump The Misses, Little Perdiswell
Curtler Thomas Gale, Esq., J.P., D.L., Bevere house
Curtler Rev. Thomas Gale, M.A. (patron and vicar of St. Stephen’s, Barbourne, and rural dean of East Worcester), Bevere Knoll
Dixon Thomas, Esq., Elbury house
Dobbs Mr. William, Fearnall heath
Eginton Miss E. Audley, Perdiswell cot.
Heyworth Major, Bevere bank
Holl Dr. Harvey Buchanan, F.G.S., Little Perdiswell
Hooper Alfred C., Esq., The Grange
Hughes Wm. P., Esq., Fearnall Heath ho.
Hughes William Samuel Price, Esq., Northwick hall
Jolley Mrs., Tapenhall cot., Fearnall hth.
King Mr. Thomas C., Firland lodge, Fearnall heath
Lavie Major Ernest, J.P., Bevere
Lilley Miss Jane, Fearnall heath
Mence Miss, Fearnall heath
Page Mr. Joseph, Fearnall heath
Penn James, Esq., Common hill
Rich Styles, Esq., Cedars, Fearnall hth.
Rowe Mr. Alfred, Fearnall heath
Smallwood Rev. William John, M.A. (vicar of Claines), The Vicarage
Smith Carington Richard, Esq., J.P. (for city of Worcester), Barbourne house
Stallard Josiah, Esq. D.L., The Blanquettes
Walker Henry, Esq., Perdiswell hall
Whinfield Edward Wray, Esq., Severn Grange, Northwick
Wilson John Pardoe, Esq., Bevere firs
Adams Francis & Thos., frms., Ladywood
Atkins William, boot and shoe maker, Northwick
Barker David Wilson, brick manufacturer, Worcester patent brick works
Barnes David, machinist, Fearnall heath
Beard Stephen, fruiterer, &c.
Beedom James & Henry, millers, Porter’s mill; and 29 Tything, Worcester
Belwood Henry, coal merchant, Hawford wharf, and miller, Hawford mill
Bennett Charles, station master, Fearnall Heath railway station
Bill Henry, miller, Mildenham mill
Boaz George, miller, Gregory’s mill
Brook Wm., farmer, Hill cottage, Bevere
Butler James, surveyor, Bevere green
Calder Alfred, farmer, Upper Astwood
Carruthers Thos., New Inn, Ombersley rd.
Chambers William, farmer, Astwood, and at Spring Bank farm
Cole George, carpenter, Fearnall heath
Colley Edward, fruit dealer, Fearnall hth.
Collins James, Raven Inn, Red hill
Coombs Mrs. S., laundress, Bilford lane
Cox Miss J., shopkeeper, Fearnall hth.
Davey Joseph, master of Hindlip national school, Fearnall heath
Davies John, wheelwright, Fearnall hth.
Dawson Tom, huntsman, Fearnall heath
Day William, farmer, Little Tolladine (and in Warndon parish)
Denovan James, farmer, Holy Claines farm
Ely John, boot maker, Fearnall heath
Emuss John, butcher, Fearnall heath
Evans Ambrose, shoemkr., Fearnall heath
Evans Arth., bricklayer, Churchyard cot.
Evans George, baker, Fearnall heath
Evans Frank, Mug House, near Church
Evans J., parish sexton, Churchyard cot.
Evans Wm., shopkeeper, Fearnall heath
Haines Thomas, rlwy. Clerk, Fearnall hth.
Harris Wm., mkt. gardener, Corn meadow
Hartwright James Ford, farmer, Linacres
Hayler C., farmer and fruiterer, Lower Town farm
Herbert Charles, farmer, Tapenhall farm
Higgins John, farmer, Great Tolladine
Hughes Edwin, poulterer, Dilmore lane
Hughes Jos., Virgin Tavern, Tolladine
Jackson John R. G., farmer, Corn Meadow Green farm, and Green farm, Bevere
Jackson Rd. T., farmer, Upper Tapenhall
Jelley Mary A., shopkeeper, Fearnall hth.
Jones Mrs. E., laundress, Fearnall hth.
Jones Heming, mkt. gardener, Northwick
Key Erasmus, bull Inn, Fearnall heath
Kibblewhite Walter, master of Claines national school, School house
Knott Charles, shopkeeper, Northwick
Layland Arthur, practical tailor, ladies’ riding habit and jacket maker, &c., Fearnall heath (see Worcester advts. Page 94)
Martin John, poultry dealer, Church cot.
Mayhouse Thos. C., farmer, Tapenhall
Miles Mrs. Elizth., farmer, Astwood fm.
Mills Jn., builder, Elm cot., Fearnall hth.
Moss George, farmer, Brick House farm
Munslow Jas., coml.. clerk, Fearnall hth.
Munslow Miss Elizabeth, Half-Way House, Fearnall heath
North Charles, organist of Claines church and pianoforte tuner (attends as pianist at evening parties, balls, &c.), Laburnam villa, Fearnall heath
Pollard George, farmer, Brickfields
Powell Wm., coal agent, Fearnall heath
Preece Charles, butler for Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., The Laurels, Fearnall heath
Read George, head gardener for Frederick Ames, Esq., J.P., Hawford
Robinson Joseph, farm bailiff for Richard Price Hill, Esq., Brickfields farm
Rowe William Broad, nurseryman, seedsman, and florist, Barbourne nurseries (see advt. opposite “Nurserymen” in “Worcester Classified Directory)
Sansome Isaac John, farmer, Oak farm, Ombersley road
Smith Alfred, farer and hay dealer, Moat farm, Astwood
Smith Henry, builder, bricklayer, &c., Fearnall heath
Smith Wm., shopkeeper, Fearnall heath
Smith Wm., farm bailiff, Northwick
South Wales and Cannock Chase Coal and Coke Co., Lim., depot at Fearnall hth. Station; William Powell, Agent
Tandy Edward, White Hart, Fearnall hth.
Taylor Mrs. laundress, Corn Meadow grn.
Taylor Daniel, farmer, Danes green
Taylor James, farmer, Northwick
Thomas, Mary A., laundress, Fearnall hth.
Tolley Elijah, carpenter, Fearnall heath
Tupper Mr., railway clerk, Bevere green
Turner Ephraim, farmer, Daniel’s farm
Wall William, farmer, Ladywood (and in Martin Hussingtree parish)
Warner William, miller, Hawford mill
Webb Frederick Pace, brick manufacturer, Fearnall heath; and at 86 High street, Evesham
White Benjn., farmer, Portfield farm
White Henry, blacksmith, Fearnall hth.
Williams Mrs., blacksmith, Blackpool gr.
Wood John Tracey, farmer and landowner, Tutnall hall
Woodward Edward, beer retailer (Live and Let Live), Fearnall heath
Woodyatt Charles, farmer, Spellis farm
Wyatt William, coachman, Fearnall hth.
Footnote: The principal portion of the parish of Claines is comprised within the limits of the City of Worcester, under which heading it will be found.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Claines, with the above hamlets, is a very extensive parish, part of it being included in the city of Worcester, but for the purpose of more easy reference we have inserted that portion of it in our Worcester “Directory,” our object being to make every place as separate and distinct as possible. Claines contained, according to the last census, in the city, 2998, other portions, 3321 making a total of 6819 inhabitants.
Claines was formerly a chapelry to St. Helen’s, Worcester, being divided into several tythings, including the ancient manor of Northwick, but in 1218 it became a separate parish.
The island of Bevere is in the parish, and is remarkable as having afforded refuge to the inhabitants of Worcester, first in 1041, from the fury of Hardicanute, on account of their refusing to pay the Danegelt; and again in 1637, from a pestilence then raging in the city. The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure, some portion of it bearing traces of the Tudor and perpendicular styles of architecture. It consists of nave, chancel, and side aisles. There is a basin on a pedestal standing by the north-west pillar of the chancel, and in this pillar is an ancient piscina, probably as ancient as the 9th of Henry V. There is a gallery at the west end, containing a fine-toned organ, presented by the late Sir H. Wakeman. The east window is of stained glass, bearing the royal and Episcopal arms. There are no monuments requiring comment. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the patronage of Sir Offley P. Wakeman, Bart. Rev. J. Palmer, M.A., Incumbent; Mr. James Williams, Clerk; James Wilkes, Sexton. Service - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The National School was erected by parliamentary grant, and is supported by voluntary contributions. Mr. John Jauncey, Master; Mrs. Margaret Jauncey, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 196
There are numerous Charities connected with this parish, amongst which may be mentioned one of £50, left by Mr. Edward Thomas, in 1656, to apprentice poor children; £100 by G. Wingfield, Esq., for clothing the poor; £200 by Sir H. Wakeman, to be given to the poor annually in February; beside other sums left by various benevolent persons, to be given in bread, clothes, &c.
Brampton Miss, Mount Pleasant
Clowes Mrs. Margaret, Hawford House
Cottrell Mr. George, Bevere
Curtler Thomas Gale, Esq., magistrate, Bevere House
Edwards Mr. James, Melbourne Terrace
Gutch John Matthew, Esq., magistrate, Common Hill
Hartle Mrs. Martha Ann, Barbourne
Hartle Mrs. Mary, Ombersley Road
Lavender Miss Jane, Barbourne
Mence Mr. William, Cyprus Cottage, Barbourne
Moon Richard, Esq., Bevere
Morgan Mr. James, Barbourne
Palmer Rev. Ellis, Chaplain to the Waterman’s Church, Barbourne
Parham Benjamin, Esq., Hawford Lodge
Penn James, Esq., Common Hill House
Pike Mr. Robert, Barbourne Lawn
Saunderson Mrs. Harriet, Rose Place
Spooner Mr. Thomas, Woodville Cottage
Spooner Richard, Esq., M.P., magistrate, Brickfields
Stallard William, Esq., The Blanquettes
Trevis Mr. John, Portfields Villa
Turner Mr. James, Barbourne
Turrall John, Esq., Barbourne Bank
Vashon Mrs. Mary Ann, Bevere Knoll
Williams Rev. Bennett, classical and mathematical school, Merriman’s Hill House
Woodcock Rev. George, M.A., Barbourne House
Ballard Thomas, cabinet maker
Band Joseph, farmer
Bedford John, farmer, Tapenhall Farm
Bedford William, coal dealer, Hawford Lock
Beedom and Sons, millers, Porter’s Mills; also of Hadley Mill
Bellwood Henry, bailiff to Sir O. P. Wakeman, Holy Claines
Boucher Thomas, farmer, Lower Town
Bourne William, shopkeeper
Brecknell Richard, beer retailer, Hop Pole, Barbourne
Brook William, farmer, Moat House
Brook Thomas, farmer, Spellys
Collins James, victualler, The Raven
Donovan James, farmer
Emery Henry, shopkeeper, Cyprus Place
Evans Thomas, farmer, and road surveyor, Tolladine
Evans Robert, Assistant Overseer, and Collector of Taxes
Felton Robert, hop merchant, Merriman’s Hill
Francis George, market gardener, Barbourne
Fullford Richard B., commercial traveller, Arlington Villa
Gardner Edward, corn dealer, Merriman’s Lodge
Gaunt Thomas, farmer, Lower Smite
Gaunt Thos., farmer, Upper Smite; also of the Martin Pool
Gray James, farmer, Oak Cottage, Bevere
Hartwright William, farmer and maltster, Corn Meadow House
Hartwright James, farmer, Linacres
Heming Henry, builder, Melbourne Terrace
Hill Nicholas, farmer, Lower Town
Hope Frances, farmer, Astwood
Hughes Edwin, shopkeeper
Jackson Richard Tandy, farmer, Sand Hill
Jay Elizabeth, ladies’ boarding establishment, Oakfield
James George, mason
Jeff George, farmer, Lower Town
Knapp John, solicitor, Barbourne
Lane John, miller and farmer, Gregory’s Mill
Little James, victualler and brewer, Crown, Barbourne
Miles Joseph, farmer, Astwood
Miles Sarah, farmer, Spring Bank
Morris Elizabeth, farmer, Astwood
Newburey John, market gardener and shopkeeper
Newey John, market gardener
Oates Thomas A., hop merchant, Church House
Pearkes Samuel, farmer, Daniels
Pember John, carpenter
Perkins Thomas, shopkeeper, Barbourne
Perks William, farmer, Blanquettes Leys
Porter William, land surveyor, Barbourne
Ross John, farmer, Moat House; also of Black Pole, Astwood
Ross James, farmer, Dane’s Green; also of Upper Tapenhall
Timothy James, lemonade and soda water manufacturer, Ombersley Road
Trimmell Thomas, tailor, Barbourne
Tuffley Benjamin, beer retailer, and shoe maker
Walker Samuel, farmer
Webb James, farmer, Tapenhall; also of Porter’s Mill
Wheeler Edward, farmer and hop merchant, Barbourne
Wilding John, wheelwright
Wilkes James, carpenter and sexton
Williams Sarah, victualler, Mug House
Williams James, tailor and parish clerk
Williams Thomas, shoe maker, Barbourne
Williams John, blacksmith
Wilson Charles, corn and coal merchant, Mount Elbury
Wood Archibald, nurseryman, seedsman, and florist, Barbourne Nursery, and Worcester
Clarke Mr. Thomas, Northwick Cottage
Davis Mr. John, Northwick Terrace
Davis Mr. William, Rose cottage
Jones Mrs. Letitia
Knapp Joseph, Esq., Northwick Villa
Pardoe Mrs. Mary, rose Cottage
Rogers Mrs. Mary
Tolley Mrs. Elizabeth
Viney Mr. John, Northwick Terrace
Adams Joseph, blacksmith
Ashcroft Thomas, florist and nurseryman
Atkins George, shoe maker
Bagnall John, shopkeeper
Coombs Ellen, milliner and dress maker
Corner William, plumber and glazier
Farmer James Hall, decorative house painter, Northwick Terrace
Gregory Stephen, beer retailer, Red Lion
Hind Sarah, shopkeeper, Northwick Terrace
Hingley John, beer retailer, Vine, Northwick Terrace
Hughes Isaac, butcher and milkman, Northwick Terrace
Langford John, shoe maker
Leek Matthew, slater and plasterer
Marks The Misses, milliners and dress makers, Northwick Terrace
Morris Absalom, florist
Newey James, market gardener
Overton Frederick, wire worker, whitesmith and bell-hanger; and at Worcester
Rudge Daniel, market gardener
Summers Sarah, shopkeeper
Taylor John, farmer
Thomas William, market gardener
Tolley William, farmer, Northwick Hall
Weaver William, market gardener
Weaver William Henry, market gardener
Barnett Mr. William, Rose Cottage
Hill Mr. John, Heath House
Houston Mr. Andrew Robert
Bridge John, beer retailer
Cole George, wheelwright
Davis John, wheelwright and carpenter
Edis Newell, clerk to the engineers of the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway
Ely John, shoe maker
Evans Ambrose, shoe maker
Freeman W., Superintendent of Police, and shopkeeper
Gibbs Letitia, shopkeeper
Layland Samuel, tailor and woollen draper
Lewis William, tailor and shopkeeper
Mills John, wheelwright and carpenter
Needham Francis H., corn and coal merchant; and at Worcester
Payter Chas., victualler and butcher, Bull
Rush James, Sergeant of Police
Spencer John, shoe maker
Tandy Edward, victualler and shopkeeper, White Hart
Wainwright Vincent, Station Master
Walton John, Relieving Officer and Registrar of Births and Deaths for Claines District
White Henry, blacksmith and farrier
Wilde William, blacksmith
Beauchamp Miss Jane, Perdiswell Cottage
Eginton Mrs. Esther, Perdiswell Cottage
Lovett Mrs. Marianne, Little Perdiswell
Wakeman Sir Offley P., Bart., Perdiswell Hall
Stable Mrs. and The Misses, ladies boarding school, Little Perdiswell
Post Office, Hawford - Mr. William Bedford, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m.
Post Office, Fernhill Heath - Mr. William Lewis, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 8 30 a.m.; despatch, 5 30 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Claines, 3 miles from Worcester, containing 314 houses, and 1463 inhabitants. It formerly was only a chapelry to St. Helens, Worcester, but is now a distinct curacy.
Bennett Benj., farmer
Boughton Joseph, farmer
Brooke Henry, esq.
Brooke John, farmer
Carden Mr. gent.
Carey William, esq.
Clark John, farmer
Cottrill John, esq.
Courtail Charles, esq.
Danby Thomas, vict.
Davis Francis, farmer
Douglass Francis, esq.
Dufty Robert, gardener
Francis Richard, farmer
Hill Ann, farmer
Hope George, farmer
Jones John, farmer
Knapp Joseph, gent.
Laurence S., farmer
Middleton Rev. Mr.
Newman Charles, farmer
Oakley William, farmer
Oliver W. A., esq.
Pidduck Mrs. farmer
Piggott John, esq.
Roberts Thomas, farmer
Ross Elizabeth, farmer
Sanderson Edw. esq.
Tapp John, nurseryman
Tay Warren, farmer
Tolley Wm., farmer
Trehearne Thos., farmer
Wakeman James, esq.
Warrol Susanah, farmer
Watkins William, gent.
Weaver B., nurseryman
Williams E., academy
Wilson H., farmer
(Rest of the inhabitants see City and Suburbs of Worcester)
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.