Church Lench

Photo of All Saints Church This was originally a 12th century church, which was rebuilt in 1852-53 and restored in 1887-88. The only 12th century survivals are the two reset doorways on the nave. The tower contains six bells, the treble, second, third, fourth and sixth of which were cast by Taylor of Loughborough in 1869 and 1870. The fifth is dated 1600 and bears the inscription 'give thanke to God'. by Trevor Rickard, some rights reserved.

Church Lench Worcestershire Family History

Church Lench is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Sheriffs Lench and Atch Lench.

Nonconformists in Church Lench include: Baptist and Particular Baptist.

Parish registers begin: 1696

Parishes adjacent to Church Lench

  • Abbots Morton
  • Bishampton
  • Fladbury
  • Rous Lench
  • Norton and Lenchwick
  • Salford Priors
  • Harvington

Marriages at Church Lench 1702 to 1812

Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.

Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.

Note. – The earliest extant Register is of parchment, and contains entries of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials interspersed in various parts of the book. The first Marriage entry is dated 6th Oct. 1702, and the last in 1750. The first Baptism is dated 24 June 1696, and the first Burial entry is dated 1702. The second register is the ordinary book of printed forms, and commences in 1754. The extracts have been made by the Rev. F. Smith, Rector of Church Lench, and are now printed by his leave and under his supervision, after comparing the proofs with the original Registers.

Church Lench Marriages 1702 to 1812 - Archive.org

Transcriptions

Church Lench Marriages 1790 to 1812
Church Lench Marriages 1775 to 1789

Historical Descriptions

Church Lench

Church Lench Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Lench Church, co. Worcester.

P. T. Evesham (99) 6 m. N b W. Pop. 342.

A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Halfshire; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 9l. 11. 10½d.; patron, the Lord Chancellor.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Church Lench Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Church-Lench – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 5 miles N. from Evesham, and 103 from London; containing 39 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. Thomas Wellings, incumbent; instituted 1786; patron, the King. Population, 1801, 150 – 1811, 176 – 1821, 203.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Atch Lench

Atch Lench The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Atch-Lench, a hamlet in the parish of Church-Lench, Worcestershire; 5 miles north from Evesham. Pop., in 1801, 70; in 1831, 82. Houses 19. A. P. £515.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Atch Lench Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Atch Lench – a hamlet in the parish of Church-Lench, hund. of Blakenhurst, lower division, 5 miles N. from Evesham, and 102 from London. Population, 1801, 70 – 1811, no return – 1821, 63.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Sheriff’s Lench

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Lench, Sheriff’s, co. Worcester.

P. T. Evesham (99) 3 m. N b W. Pop. 76.

A hamlet in the parish of Church Lench and lower division of the hundred of Blackenhurst.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Sheriff’s-Lench – a hamlet in the parish of Church-Lench, hundred of Blakenhurst, upper division, 4 miles N.N.W. from Evesham, and 100 from London; containing 13 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 55 – 1811, no return – 1821, 76.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Church Lench (with Atch Lench and Sheriff’s Lench) Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Church Lench Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Atch Lench Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Sheriffs Lench Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Evesham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Evesham
  • Hundred: Blackenhurst; Halfshire
  • Province: Canterbury