Chaceley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1760 from chapelry in Longdon Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Chaseley
Parish registers begin: 1538
Chaseley, 2½ miles S.W. Tewkesbury. P. 3641)
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Chaseley or Chaseley, a parish in the district of Tewkesbury, and county of Worcester; on the river Severn, at the verge of the county, near the Gloucester and Birmingham railway, 3 miles SW of Tewkesbury. Post-town, Tewkesbury. Acres, 1,725. Real property, £4,023. Pop., 307. Houses, 71. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £134. Patron, the Vicar of Longdon. The church is very ancient, but good; and has a tower and spire. A school has £12 from endowment; and other charities £352).
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Chaseley – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Longdon, in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 3 ½ miles S.W. from Tewkesbury, and 107 from London; containing 46 inhabited houses; on the borders of Gloucestershire. Here is a free-school for the instruction of the younger children in the parish. It is a perpetual curacy; Rev. J. Broome, curate. Population, 1801, 336 – 1811, 364 – 1821, 337
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Chaseley is a small parish and village, situate about 3 miles from Tewkesbury, and 7 from Upton, containing in 1851 a population of 348 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a small, antiquated-looking structure, with square tower, containing six bells. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Longdon. Rev. Samuel S. Parish, Incumbent; Mr. Henry Smith, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 2 30 p.m.
There is a Parochial School in the village. Caroline Wagstaff, Mistress.
Parish Rev. Samuel S., Incumbent
Pearce Mr. Thomas, Hill End Villa
Barnfield Daniel, shoe maker
Berwick Henry, shopkeeper
Clift Mr., agent, Chaseley Cottage
Fritwell John, farmer, New Hall
Higgins John, farmer, New House
Hutton William, farmer, Chaseley Court
Lane William, farmer, Chaseley Hall
Lord John, farmer, Hill end
Pope John, Farmer, Grain House
Scriven William, shopkeeper and carrier
South Henry, shopkeeper
Spiers J., farmer, Chaseley Waith
Westbury Thomas, shoe maker
Carrier – To Cheltenham, William Scriven, from own house, Thurs., 8 a.m. To Gloucester, Sat., 7 a.m.; and Tewkesbury, Wed., 8 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855