Castlemorton is a chapelry of Longdon Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. Gregory
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Castle-Morton, 3½ m. S.W. Upton-upon-Severn. P. 855
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Castle-Morton – a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 4 miles S.W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 111 from London; containing 137 inhabited houses. It is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Longdon; Rev. J. Broome, curate. Population 1801, 659 – 1811, 785 – 1821, 788
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Castle Morton is a chapelry belonging to Longdon, about 5 miles distant from Upton, and contained in 1851 a population of 852 inhabitants.
Castle Morton, although a chapelry as stated above, is designated as a parish, inasmuch as it supports its own poor, and all parochial affairs are kept separate from those of Longdon. There was formerly a castle near the church, adjoining which is a mound, called the “Castle Keep,” surrounded with a moat or ditch, and which is supposed to have been thrown up to protect the church during the civil wars. The Church, dedicated to St. Gregory, is a very ancient structure, in the Gothic style of architecture, with a fine old square tower and spire. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Rev. John Hill, Incumbent; Mr. John Lake, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small National School, erected by a grant from the National Educational Society, and subscriptions. Elizabeth Brown, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 35.
The Charities of this parish amount to about £30 per annum.
Hill Rev. John, Incumbent
Allen Charles, farmer, Holly Bush Hill
Beaman Charles, victualler, Feathers
Birchley Mary, farmer, Morton Green
Brewer Charles, farmer, Biddle’s Farm
Bullock John, beer retailer
Clinton Thomas, farmer
Colston James, carpenter, Holly Bed Common
Colston Thomas, farmer
Crump Thomas, farmer
Farmer, Elisha, carrier
Farmer Thomas, farmer, Knott’s Farm
Francis Jonathan, shopkeeper
Gamble John, mason, Druger’s End
Gaze J., farmer
Greenway Hannah, farmer, Hunter’s Hill
Harcourt Sarah, farmer, Morton Green
Hawker William, farmer, Druger’s End
Hill Charles, farmer
Jenkins Joseph, timber dealer
Jeynes William, carpenter and wheelwright, Holly Bed Common
Jones William, farmer, Eight Oaken Hill
Kendrick John, mason
Kendrick William, mason
Lane Alfred, farmer, The Hurst
Lane John R., farmer, Cutler’s Farm
Lane William, farmer
Lane William, miller and farmer
Pingree James, farmer, Holly Bed
Pope Edward, farmer, The Walk
Rogers William, blacksmith
Smith Abigail, farmer, New House
Smith Samuel, carrier, Holly Bed
Smith William, farmer, Fair Oaks
Stephens Philip, beer retailer, Robin Hood
Ward John, farmer, Rough Cast
Warrender John, blacksmith
White Thomas, earthenware dealer, Druger’s End
Carriers – To Worcester, Farmer, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m., and Smith, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Castle Morton, 4 miles from Upton-upon-Severn, containing 124 houses, and 659 inhabitants.
Allen Charles, farmer
Archer Edward, farmer
Barnes John, farmer
Boulter James, farmer
Clarke Elizabeth, farmer
Clarke Sarah, farmer
Clinton William, farmer
Coulston John, farmer
Cowley Wm. sen., farmer
Cowley Wm. jun., farmer
Creese John, farmer
Dee John, farmer
Dee William, farmer
Devereux Joseph, farmer
Farmer John, farmer
Hart James, farmer
Harvatt Joseph, farmer
Heming Thomas, farmer
Kings Thomas, farmer
Lane Elizabeth, farmer
Marshall J., farmer
Mathews Richard, farmer
Morton Thomas, farmer
Panting William, farmer
Pinson Charles, farmer
Smith John, farmer
Smith Elizabeth, farmer
Starkey John, gent.
Stephens Richard, farmer
Wagstaff William, farmer
Young Abraham, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.