Broughton Hackett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin: 1761.
Broughton-Hackett, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester; on the Midland railway, 1 mile N by E of Spetchley station, and 6 NNW of Pershore. Post Town, Spetchley, under Worcester. Acres, 390. Real property, £782. Pop., 164. Houses, 39. The property is subdivided. Blue limestone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, 73.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is very good.
Source: Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Broughton, Hacket, co. Worcester.
P. T. Worcester (111) 5 m. E b S. Pop. 123.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Pershore; living, a dis. rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 8l. 1s. 0½d.; ann. val. P. R. 145l.; church ded. to St. Leonard; patron, the Lord Chancellor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Distances – 5 miles E. of Worcester, and 6 ½ S. by E. of Droitwich.
Population – In 1901, 152. Acreage, 360.
Postal Information – Letters are received through Worcester, and arrive by messenger about 7 am. The Wall Letter-box is cleared at 7.35 p.m. on week-days, and at 11.15 a.m. on Sundays. Upton Snodsbury is the nearest telegraph office. Worcester (London Road) is the nearest money order office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Leonard’s) – Rev. John Bamber, M.A., Rector (address – Crowle Vicarage); John Tarran, Churchwarden; Ernest Tiesac, Parish Clerk.
Bird Frederick, baker & confectioner
Holt Thomas, New Inn
Hughes John, farmer and lime merchant; res., Court house, Upton Snodsbury
Jones James, farm bailiff (for Charles Purser, of Cradley), Manor house
Purser Charles, farmer, Manor house; res., Cradley, Great Malvern
Salisbury Edwin, The Rectory farm
Tarran John, farmer and fruiterer, North farm and Little hall
Tiesac Ernest, farmer, market gardener, and parish clerk
Till Henry, blacksmith
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Broughton Hackett (anciently Bretune) is a village and small parish 5 miles E. of Worcester, in the hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; is a polling place for the western division of the county; is in Worcester county court district and petty sessional division, Upton Snodsbury highway district, and Pershore union; is assessed to the county rate at £648. Area of the parish, 360 acres; population in 1861, 164; in 1871, 170; with 41 inhabited houses, and 48 families or separate occupiers. The Crowle brook runs by the parish. The principal landowners in this little territory are the Earl of Coventry, Robert Berkeley, Esq., William Laslett, Esq., Mrs. Bridges, and the Executors of the late Colonel Clowes. The soil is clayey; chief crops, grass, corn, roots, and fruit; and some of the inhabitants are employed in lime-burning, there being a considerable quantity of limestone in the parish. The glebe land is more than 60 acres. The living is a rectory, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester, value £95, in the patronage of the Crown; rector, Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Queen’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1843, and resides at White Ladies’ Aston. The church of St. Leonard is a small oblong building, with wooden bell-cot, and was nearly rebuilt in 1843. There is a small annual fund for repairing the church. There are a few Roman Catholics in the parish. The register begins with the year 1761. The present population (1879) is about 150.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Leonard’s). – Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Rector; Messrs. Benjamin Hughes and John Rogers, Churchwardens; George Sanders, Parish Clerk.
Calder Thomas, farmer, Manor House farm; res., Worcester
Chandler James, lime burner
Griffiths William, baker and shopkeeper
Hill Edwin, blacksmith
Holt Thomas, New Inn
Hughes Benjamin, farmer; res., Court house, Upton Snodsbury
Read William, lime burner
Rider Anthony, cot. farmer (non-resident)
Rogers John, farmer, Rectory farm
Sanders George, parish clerk
Smith Mr. J. W.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Broughton Hackett is a very small village and parish, situate about 4 ½ miles E. from Worcester, containing according to the census of 1851 a population of 133, being 21 less than in 1841.
The Church is a very plain building, in the early English style of architecture, containing only a nave and chancel, with nothing to call forth any further comment, if we except a tablet to the Bridges family. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Crown. Rev. Henry M. Sherwood, B.A., Incumbent; Mr. Thomas Holt, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m.
The Charities are but few. Thomas Gould and John Cross left a messuage and land, the proceeds of which are divided between the church and the poor. The sum of £2 was left by William Yeardley, the interest to be distributed to the poor at Easter.
Cormer Edwin, farmer
Cormer George, farmer
Hill Robert, blacksmith
Holt Edwin, shoe maker
Holt Thomas, beer retailer, New Inn
Huband John, farmer
Page Henry, farmer, Broughton House
Rogers John, farmer, Rectory Farm
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Barley Thomas, farmer
Bridges Mary, farmer
Bullock William, dealer
Hitchings Edw., gardener
Holt Thos., shoemaker
Huband John, farmer
Lowick John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.