Broadwas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Broadgreen.
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin: 1676
Broadwas, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, but locally in the upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Martley, county of Worcester; 6 miles west of Worcester, on the northern bank of the river Teme. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £10 9s. 2½d.; gross income £273; in the patronage of the Dean and chapter of Worcester. There are two daily schools here. Charities connected with the parish produce £7 per annum. Pop., in 1801, 245; in 1831, 296. Houses 60. Acres 1,000. A.P. £l,642. Poor rates, in 1837, £108.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Distances – 6 miles W. of Worcester, and 3 N.E. of Knightwick Station.
Population – In 1901, 291. Acreage, 1127 (by “Tithe Schedule”)
Postal Information – Post and Telegraph Office; James Hill, Sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by mail-cart from Worcester at 5. 30 a.m.; the delivery commences at 6 a.m.; despatched on week-days and Sundays at 5.35 a.m. to Bromyard, and to Worcester at 7.15 p.m. Telegrams may be sent from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m. on week-days, and from 8 a.m. till 10 a.m. on Sundays. Knightwick is the nearest money order office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Mary Magdalene) – Rev. Robert Rodney Fowler, B.A., Rector; Rev. F. H. P. Higgins, M.A., Curate; Messrs. George Watkins and William Drew, Churchwardens; William Griffiths, Parish Clerk.
Elementary School (boys, girls and infants) – Frederic Furnival, Master; Mrs. Furnival, Infants’ Mistress.
New Hall (used for Religious Meetings – undenominational) –Will hold 180 persons.
Police Station – Albert Edward Fry, Constable.
Assistant Overseer And Rate Collector – George Watkins.
Registrar of Births, Deaths, And Marriages for Holt Sub-District – William Mann, Bransford, Leigh.
Carrier to Worcester – John Turner on Wednesdays and Saturdays, stops at the Beauchamp Hotel, Broad Street, Worcester.
Bishop William, farmer, The Hill; res., Bannerbrook, Doddenham
Daniels Richard, former, Butts bank
Drew William, farmer, Butts farm
Edmonds Giles, The Forest
Fowler Rev. R. Rodney, B.A., (rector), Rectory
Freeman William, shopkeeper, Broad green
Fry Albert Edward, police constable
Furnival Fredc., schoolmaster, School house
Ganderton John Richd., farmer, Stone farm
Ganderton Thomas, farmer, Brook farm
Griffiths William, parish clerk
Higgins Rev. F. H. P., M.A. (curate), The Butts
Hill Edward Henry, Broadwas court
Hill James, blacksmith and sub-postmaster
Lamont I. J., The Firs
May Miss, Lower house
Penhall John Thomas, M.D., F.R.C.S., The Cedars
Powell Leonard Henry, farmer and shopkeeper, Scatterbrook house
Pugh Benjamin, farmer, Ivy house
Spencer William, farmer and butcher
Turner John, carrier and shopkeeper
Watkins G. C., builder, wheelwright, carpenter and undertaker. Painting, glazing, etc. on reasonable terms.
White Thomas, haulier, Taberness
Wilkes - ., Royal Oak Inn
Wilson William, farmer, Stoney Ley
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Broadwas is a village and parish situate on the left bank of the river Teme, amid rich meadows and uplands, famous for hops and cider and charming views. It is distant 6 miles W. of Worcester, and 3 N.E. of Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway; is in the western division of the county, Lower Oswaldslow hundred, Martley union, polling, and highway district, Worcester county court district and petty sessional division. The area of the parish is 1,160 acres; annual rateable value, £2,214; population in 1861, 311; in 1871, 337; inhabited houses, 69; families or separate occupiers, 92. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Francis Edward Williams, Esq., Rev. William Comyns Berkeley, Rev. R. Rodney Fowler, Miss Smith, and E. Bird Guest, Esq. The soil is loan and clay; products, wheat, barley, beans, turnips, Swedes, mangolds, hops, apples, pasture, &c. Broadwas is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester, and rural deanery of West Worcester; living, a rectory, value £290, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; rector, Rev. Robert Rodney Fowler, B.A., of Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1862. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is in mixed styles of architecture, Transitional from Norman, Early English, and Decorated. It has a chancel, nave with southern chapel, and western tower, which is surmounted by a wooden bell-gable. Interesting mural paintings were discovered here a few years ago. The earliest register is dated 1676. The school, with residence for the mistress, was erected within the last few years by subscription. It is under Government inspection. There are a few charities which have been the subject of former controversy. Broadwas Court is the residence of Edward Henry Hill, Esq., and The Cedars that of Edward Bird Guest, Esq.
Postal Regulations. – William Henry Wormington, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester about 7 a.m.; despatched thereto at 7.10 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary Magdalene). – Rev. Robert Rodney Fowler, B.A., Rector; E Henry Hill, Esq., and Mr. Thomas C. Nicholls, Churchwardens; William Griffiths, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Mrs. Shepherd, Mistress
Registrar of Births and Deaths. – Mr. John Bowkett.
Carriers to Worcester. – John Turner and Thomas Collins, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, returning the same days.
Arden Mrs., The Princes
Drew Mr. William, Brook house
Fowler Rev. Robert Rodney, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Guest Edward Bird, Esq., The Cedars
Hill Edwd. Henry, Esq., Broadwas court
Randall Mrs., Brook cottage
Smith Miss, The Firs
Berkeley Rowland, Esq., farmer, Butt’s Bank farm
Betteridge William, farmer, The Hill
Bowkett John, boot and shoe maker, and registrar of births and deaths
Cone James, Royal Oak Inn
Crump Edward, carpenter and joiner
Crump Samuel, cot. farmer, Broad green
Drew William, farmer and shopkeeper
Ganderton John, farmer, Stone farm
Griffiths William, tailor and parish clerk
Harwood Thomas, blacksmith
Haynes William, cot. farmer, Broad green
Lane John, farmer, The Forest
Nicholls Thos. Charles, farmer, Ivy ho.
Philpott James, blacksmith & cot. farmer
Shepherd Mrs., schoolmistress
Spencer William, farmer and butcher
Turner John, carrier
Went Edward, farmer, Butt’s farm and Noxon’s farm
Wormington William Henry, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.