Bredon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Cutsdean and Bredon’s Norton are chapelries of Bredon.
Other places in the parish include: Hardwick with Mitton, Westmancote, and Kinsham.
Parish church: St Giles
Parish registers begin: 1559
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Particular Baptist.
Bredon, a village in the district of Tewkesbury, and a parish in the districts of Tewkesbury and Winchcombe, and county of Worcester. The village stands on the river Avon, adjacent to the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, 3 ½ miles NE of Tewkesbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Tewkesbury. Eanulf, grandfather of King Offa, got a grant of it from Ethelbald, King of Mercia; and founded at it a monastery, which was transferred, before the Conquest, to the see of Worcester. The parish includes the hamlets of Norton-by-Bredon, Hardwick-with-Mitton, Worcestershire, Kinsham, and Westmancote, and the chapelry of Cutsdean. Acres, 5,818. Real property, £11,608. Pop., 1,555. Houses, 366. Bredon hill separates the vales of Cotswold and Evesham; has an altitude of 900 feet; commands an extensive prospect; has traces of a Roman camp with a double trench; and is a meet for the Worcester hounds. Wollashill Hall is the ancient seat of the Hanfords. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Norton and Cutsdean, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £2,300. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church occupies the site of the ancient monastery; is an old and interesting edifice of different periods, chiefly early English; has a central tower, surmounted by a graceful spire; and was restored in 1845. The remains of Dr. Prideaux, bishop of Worcester in the time of Charles I., lie in the chancel; a rich monument of Giles Reed, of date 1611, is in a south chapel; and several ancient monastic tombs are in the churchyard. A free school has £116; an alms-house, £143; and other charities, £88.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bredon, 3 miles N.E. Tewkesbury. P. 1467
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Bredon – an extensive parish, in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 3 miles N.N.E. from Tewkesbury, and 109 from London; containing 202 inhabited houses. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly of Saxon architecture, built in the form of a cross, and considering its antiquity is in tolerable good repair.
John Prideaux, who was Bishop of Worcester during the civil war, in 1641, lies buried in this church. He was dismissed with an allowance of only 4s. 6d. per week; and although obliged to sell his books and furniture, to procure himself necessaries, yet he bore his reverses with fortitude and cheerfulness. One day passing through the village with something under his gown, a neighbour inquired what he had got; he replied, he had become an ostrich, and was forced to live upon iron; at the same time producing some old iron he was going to sell, to procure himself a meal.
Here is a good free school, for all the children belonging to the parish, well endowed, the funds of which appear to be judiciously applied. The chapelries of Norton, Mitton, and Cutsdean are annexed, with the hamlets of Westmancote, Kelmsham, and Hardwick. The living is a rectory, and one of the most valuable in the diocese; the Rev. John Keysall, incumbent; instituted 1806; patron, John Keysall, Esq. Population, 1801, 749 – 1811, 886 – 1821, 928. Bredon Hill, on which are the remains of a Roman encampment, with a double ditch. On the declivity are a number of farms, villas, and plantations, with good pasture for sheep. Its perpendicular height is upwards of 800 feet, and on the summit is a lofty summer-house, commanding a most extensive view over the adjoining counties. In the side of the hill, is a chasm in the solid rock, about 200 yards long, and 15 feet wide, which opened a few years since, without any previous warning.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Attwood E, farmer, Kinsham
Bredon Gardening Co, florists and nurserymen
CLARKE H, family butcher, Royal Oak Inn. Good beds and stabling. Families waited upon daily for orders, and supplied with best quality of English meat.
Dyer N, farmer
Harris E, farmer, Kinsham
Hyatt T, farmer, Kinsham
LLOYD MRS H, coal and ale mcht. Prices quoted for truck loads to any station on application.
Martin J, farmer, Hardwick
Phillips W, farmer
Potter T, baker
Railway Inn – Sarah Horton
Reading Room, Parish Council Rooms
Skinner W, beer retailer
SUMMERS MISS F, milliner, fancy and general draper, near the Railway Station. Boots and shoes. Agent for P and P Campbell.
TRAPP W, tailor, Post Office. Gents’ and boys’ suits made to order
Wakefield J, farmer
Walker W, farmer, Hardwick
Weavin Mrs, farmer, Hardwick
WILKES A D, family grocer, provision dealer, druggist, etc. Agent for the British Tea Association and the Mazawattee Ceylon Tea Co, London
Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Worcestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.