Bredicot is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1702
Produce, wheat, barley, peas, and beans
Bredicot, a parish in Pershore Registration District, Worcestershire; on the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, 3 ¼ miles E of Worcester. Post-town, Spetchley, under Worcester. Acres, 397. Real property, with Churchill, £1,570. Pop., 53. Houses, 13. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Tibberton, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £260. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is good. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bredicot – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 3 miles E. from Worcester, and 113 from London; containing 7 inhabited houses. This parish is united with Churchill, and is a rectory; the Rev. T. Price, incumbent; instituted 1821; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 32 – 1811, no return – 1821, 37. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Distances – 4 miles E. of Worcester, and 6 S. by E. of Droitwich.
Population – In 1901, 43. Acreage, 398.
Postal Information – Letters are received through Worcester, and are delivered about 7.30 p.m. The Wall Letter-box is cleared at 6.30 p.m. on week-days only. Telegrams may be sent from Spetchley Goods Station. Worcester (London Road) is the nearest money order office.
Parish Church (St. James) – Rev. Harry Edgar Erskine Arthure, M.A., Rector of Bredicot and Vicar of Tibberton (res., Tibberton Vicarage, Droitwich); Joseph Dorrell and Edward Major Kingsmill, Churchwardens.
Elementary School (boys, girls, and infants) – J. P. Phillips, Master; Mrs. Phillips, Sewing Mistress; Miss Tarran, Assistant Mistress.
Dorrell Joseph, Bredicot court
George Edwd., cottage farmer & landowner
Kingsmill Edwd. Major, farmer, Glebe farmer
Phillips J. P., schoolmaster, School house
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Bredicot is a small parish on the Birmingham and Bristol branch of the Midland railway, 4 miles E. of Worcester, and 6 S. by E. of Droitwich; is in the western division of the county, Lower Oswaldslow hundred, Pershore union, petty sessional division, and county court district, Broughton Hackett polling district, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry, and East Worcester rural deanery. The area of the parish is 397a. 3r. 16p. ; annual rateable value, £812; population in 1861, 53; in 1871, 68; with 12 inhabited houses. Robert Berkeley, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is various; chief produce, wheat, barley, peas, and beans. The church of St. James is a little oblong building, with a bell-cot. The register begins with the year 1702. The living is a rectory, to which the vicarage of Tibberton is annexed. The two livings being but of small value, and Bredicot having a parsonage house while Tibberton had none, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, who are the patrons, some years ago caused them to be united in perpetuity under the powers of an Act of Parliament giving facilities for consolidating small and dividing larger livings. The joint annual value is about £262, with residence; the Rev. William Major Kingsmill, M.A., Jesus College, Cambridge, the present rector, was instituted in 1865. For educational purposes Bredicot is the centre of a district, having a national school for the poor children of Spetchley, White Ladies’ Aston, Broughton Hackett, Churchill, Bredicot, and Warndon. Some Roman coins were discovered here a few years ago near Bredicot court by the father of the present occupier.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. James’s). – Rev. William Major Kingsmill, M.A., Rector
National School (boys and girls). – Mr. E. George, Master; Mrs. George, Mistress.
Kingsmill Rev. William Major, M.A. (rector of Bredicot and vicar of Tibberton). The Rectory
Chamberlain Henry, farmer, Bredicot court
George E., schoolmaster
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Bredicot is a very small parish, about 3 miles E. of Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 65 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a small old building, in the early English style of architecture, and contains a stone pulpit. In the chancel is a carved oak chair, dated 1690, the gift of Henry Chamberlain, Esq., of Bredicot Court. The living is a Rectory, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. Philip Sidney Ashworth, M.A., Rector; no Clerk appointed. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately with Tibberton.
The National School, for boys and girls was erected by subscription in 1842, for the poor children belonging to this and adjoining parishes: the land was given by the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Mr. John Jacob, Master; Harriet Jacob, Mistress. Average number of scholars – boys, 100, girls, 70.
Ashworth Rev. Philip S., M.A., Rector of Bredicot and Tibberton
Chamberlain Henry, Esq., Bredicot Court
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Brampton Charles, farmer
Hemus Thomas, farmer
Mantle John, farmer
Page Richard, farmer
Sharpe John, miller
Weston Thomas, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
Victoria & Albert Museum - Photographs of Bredicot dating from the 1850’s