Bransford is a chapelry of Leigh Parish in Worcestershire.
The parish also includes: Bransford Bridge
The church is dedicated to St. John The Baptist.
The origins of the name ‘Bransford’ are uncertain, but it is believed to mean ‘hill-top ford’ or ‘ford at Bragen’. This is dervied from ‘braegen’, old English for crown of the head or topographically a hill and then ‘ford’. In the Doomsday Book, Bransford was called Bradnesforde and included information about Urso from the Pershore Church and mill. Bransford was home to Wulstan de Bransford, the Bishop of Worcester from 1338–49. Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 the parish ceased to be responsible for maintaining the poor in its parish, a responsibility transferred to Martley Poor Law Union.
Bransford, a chapelry in Leigh parish, Worcestershire; on the river Teme, adjacent to the Malvern railway, 4½ miles SW by W of Worcester. It has a station, of the name of Bransford-Road, on the railway; and its Post Town is Powick, under Worcester. Acres, 1,190. Real property, £2,118. Pop., 270. Houses, 59. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; impropriate in Earl Somers. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer 1870
Bransford, a chapelry, in the parish of Leigh, union of Martley, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Worcester; containing 277 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1034 acres of rich land, whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. It is situated on the south of the river Teme, in the eastern part of the parish, and is crossed from north to south by the road from Worcester to Hereford. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure, containing about 100 sittings.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Bransford – a hamlet and chapelry, in the parish of Leigh, hundred of Pershore, lower division, 4 miles W.S.W. from Worcester, and 115 from London; containing 49 inhabited houses: it has a good bridge over the river Teme. Population, 1801, 237 – 1811, 215 – 1821, 264.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
The mean age in Bransford is 49.4 and the median age is 53. The largest age bracket is 45–59 years old, as 23.9% of people in Bransford are of this age. Source: Wikipedia
Distances – Bransford Bridge, over the river Teme, is about 3 miles, and the Chapel 4 ½ miles, S. W. of Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 248. Acreage, 1020.
Postal Information – Post Office, Bransford Bridge; Charles Banks, Sub-postmaster. Letters and Parcels arrive by mail-cart from Worcester at 5.15 a.m.; the delivery commences at 6 a.m.; letters are despatched by mail-cart at 7.45 p.m. on week-days and Sundays. St. John’s is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester. The Letterbox in the Rectory wall at Leigh Hurst is cleared at 7. 38 p.m. on week-days and Sundays.
Chapel of Ease (St. John The Baptist) – Rev. A. M. Manley, M.A., Rector; John Newman, Churchwarden. (The Registers date from 1767.)
Bransford Road Station – Great Western Railway (in Powick parish) – William Curnock, Station Master.
Banks Charles, baker and sub-postmaster, Post office, Branford Bridge
Bartley J. C., Elmgrove
Busk Henry & Walter, practical machinists, blacksmiths, &c.
Busk Walter, Suckley road
Cazalet Edward J., farmer, Bransford court
Curnock Wm., station master, Railway statn.
Davis Thomas, station master at Leigh Court, Rose cottage
Essex Wm., farmer & hop grower, Gilberts
Grainger George, Bear & Ragged Staff Inn
Hardman George, farmer, Hole farm
Hooper John, boot & shoe maker
Mann Henry, assistant overseer for Leigh and Bransford
Mann William, relieving officer & registrar for Leigh district
Marshall George, coal agent (for J. & N. Nadin & Co.), Suckley road
Newman Jno., farmer & hop grwr., New ho.
Onley-Prattenton Edwd. John, Bank house
Stephens Mrs, Vine cottage
Stone Richard, Fox Inn
Weaver Samuel, farmer, Braces Leigh
White Thomas, miller, Bransford mills
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Bransford, although a chapelry of Leigh, is a separate parish. It supports its own poor, pays its own rates, and has an area of 1,020 acres, of which about half, viz., Brace’s Leigh and the New House farms, belong to Earl Beauchamp, Gilberts and the Hall house to T. H. Little, Esq., a small estate to E. J. Onley, Esq., and the Worfield charity land rented by Mr. H. Mann from the corporation of Worcester. Leigh and Bransford are both privileged to the Worfield exhibitions for the sons of poor persons at the universities. The ancient family of Brace, or De Bracey, gave their name to the manor above mentioned, where is still an interesting old manor-house. Bransford bridge, over the Teme, is about 3 miles and the chapel 4 ½ miles S.W. of Worcester. The parish is in the western division of the county, hundred of Lower Pershore, union and highway district of Martley, petty sessional division of Worcester, county court district of Great Malvern, polling district of Malvern Link, rural deanery of Powick, dioceses and archdeaconry of Worcester. It is assessed to the county rate at £2,648. The population in 1861 was 270; in 1871, 299, with 60 inhabited houses and 75 families or separate occupiers. Earl Beauchamp is lord of the manor. There is fine feeding land in the Temeside meadows; and grain, roots, green crops, hops, apples, and pears are grown. Formerly there was a snuff mill and cloth factory by the Teme, but now there is only a flour mill there. The chapel is a little ancient stone building in a very secluded spot. The register begins at 1767. The Rev. Bernard Henry Sheppard, M.A., rector of Leigh, or his curate, officiates. The national school is under Government inspection; average attendance about 100. The Bransford Road station on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway is in Powick parish.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Worcester. The letter-box (near the school) is cleared at 5.25 p.m. on week-days, and 10.55 a.m. on Sundays. Malvern Link is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Chapel-of-Ease. – Rev. Bernard Henry Sheppard, M.A., Rector; Rev. J. W. Chesshire, Curate; Mr. John Newman, Churchwarden.
National School (boys and girls). – Mr. William Joseph Vaudin, Master.
Bransford Road Station (Great Western Railway). – Mr. William Harvey, Station Master.
Steward of the Manor of Bransford. – Francis Parker, Esq., 3 Foregate street, Worcester.
Cazalet Major G. Henry, Bransford court
Chesshire Rev. J. W. (curate of Leigh and Bransford), Suckley road
Onley Edward John, Esq., Bank House
Prattenton Rev. George Deakin Onley, Bank House
Ryder Thomas Bromfield, Vine cottage
Sheppard Rev. Bernard Hy., M.A. (rector of Leigh with Bransford), The Rectory
Busk William, blacksmith, The Hole
Crump John, farmer, Suckley road
Essex William, fmr. & hop grw., Gilberts
Harvey Wm., station master, Railway sta.
Hooper John, boot and shoe maker
Horton William, coal merchant, Railway station; res., Cart house
Madge James, tailor, Suckley road
Mann Henry, farmer, Hole farm
Mann William, parish clerk of Leigh
Mann William, jun., relieving officer and registrar for Leigh district
Morgan John, builder, &c.
Morgan William, builder, &c.
Newman John, fmr. & hop grw., New ho.
Onley Edward John, farmer, hop grower, and landowner, Bank house
Pitt Thomas, Bear and Ragged Staff Inn, near Railway station
Potter Alfred, miller, Bransford mills
Simms Mrs. Charlotte, Fox Inn
Stokes Frederick Scott, farmer and hop grower, Brace’s Leigh
Vaudin Wm., J., master of National schl.
Venmore Mrs. Sarah, shopkpr., Suckley rd.
Williams Charles, farmer, The Hall ho.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.