Bockleton

Bockleton Church St Michael's church, Bockleton viewed from the south. The nave dates from Norman times, the tower is later, dating from the 17th or early 18th century. The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Halling and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Bockleton Worcestershire Family History

Bockleton is an Ancient Parish mostly in Worcestershire and partly in Herefordshire.

The parish includes the hamlet of Hampton Charles.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1574

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Bockleton

  • Hatfield
  • Tenbury
  • Leysters
  • Pudleston with Whyle
  • Bockleton
  • Kyre Wyard

Historical Descriptions

Bockleton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BOCKLETON, a parish in the districts of Tenbury and Bromyard, and counties of Worcester and Hereford; and a subdistrict in the district of Tenbury. The parish lies 5 miles S of Tenbury r. station, and 6 E by N of Leominster; and it includes the hamlet of Hampton-Charles, and has a post office under Tenbury. Acres, 3,229. Real property, £2,588. Pop., 346. Houses, 74. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £127.* Patron, the Rev. J. J. Miller. The church is good.-The subdistrict contains five parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 17,777. Pop., 3,046. Houses, 648.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bockleton, 5 m. S. Tenbury. P. 358

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Bockleton – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 6 miles S. from Tenbury, and 140 from London; on the borders of Herefordshire; containing 52 inhabited houses. It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Hereford and archdeaconry of Salop; Rev. Peter Miller, incumbent; patron Thos. Etton, Esq. Population, 1801, 223 – 1811, 262 – 1821, 294.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Hampton Charles

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HAMPTON CHARLES, a hamlet in Bockleton parish, Hereford; 5½ miles NW of Bromyard. Acres, 492. Real property, £540. Pop., 87. Houses, 20.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Bockleton (with Hampton Charles) 1855

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tenbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Tenbury
  • Hundred: Doddingtree
  • Province: Canterbury