Berrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St Faith
Parish registers begin: 1698
Berrow, a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; 5½ miles SW of Upton r. station, and 7 W of Tewkesbury. It has a post office under Ledbury. Acres, 2,180. Real property, £3,069. Pop., 453. Houses, 94. The property is much subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Ledbury hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Berrow, a parish in a detached portion of the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Upton-upon-Severn, county of Worcester, situated in the hund. of Pershore; 5½ miles south-west of Upton-upon-Severn, and about 8 west of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £7 18s. 4d., and in the parliamentary returns at £45; gross income £84; in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Worcester. Charities connected with the parish produce £11 13s. per annum. Pop., in 1801, 397; in 1831, 507. Houses 90. Acres 1,940. A.P. £2,279. Poor rates, in 1837, £177.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Berrow, 5 miles S.W. Upton-upon-Seven. P. 480
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Berrow – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles S.W. from Upton on Severn, and 109 from London; containing 77 inhabited houses. It is a perpetual curacy; Rev. G. Wallett, incumbent; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. – Population, 1801, 394 – 1811, 470 – 1821, 464.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Berrow is a small village and parish, about 8 miles S.W. from Upton, and 7 S.E. from Ledbury, containing a population according to the last census of 491 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Faith, is a very old stone structure, with square tower and two bells. The living is a Perpetual Curacy. Rev. Frederick H. Law, Vicar; Mr. John Chadd, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a School in this parish, supported by Osmond Ricardo, Esq., M.P. Mr. Ploughman, Master.
The National School is supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Average number of scholars, 30.
Dee Mr. Peter
Law Rev. Frederick H., Vicar
Winnall John, Esq., The Hawthorns
Warburton Mrs. Matilda, Dingley Hill Cottage
Allen Edwin, butcher
Allen James, farmer, Holly Bush Farm
Bennett John, farmer, Caisend Street
Bevan Charles, farmer, Whiting Ash Farm
Boulter James, farmer, Parsonage Farm
Bull Thomas, shopkeeper, Cammers Green
Chadd James, farmer, Bray’s Farm
Chadd John, hoe maker and Parish Clerk
Civil Samuel, Sub-Postmaster
Daw William, farmer and timber merchant, Whitings Ash
Fisher Richard, farmer, Cammers Green
Goatman John, machinist, Whitings Ash
Hart William, farmer, Caisend Hill
Hawkins John, farmer, Whitings Ash
Ingles Mary, victualler and shopkeeper, Duke of York
Jones George, farmer, Rye Farm
Jones George, blacksmith, The Rye
Lane Edward, farmer, Cammers Green
Lawrence Arthur, mason, Whitings Ash
Morse Niles, painter and glazier, Whitings Ash
Pope William, farmer, Hill Farm
Powell Jonas, carpenter
Shail John, builder, Whitings Ash
Sheppard James, farmer
Webb Richard, farmer, Cammers Green
Post Office – Samuel Civil, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 11 15 a.m.; despatch, 4 15 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Berrow is a moderate sized parish, chiefly producing corn, and there are some extensive apple orchards. The church is a stone structure, containing 275 sittings, of which 100 are free; it is 12 miles from Gloucester, 15 from Pershore, 7 from Tewkesbury, 7 from Upton, and 16 from Worcester.
The living is a vicarage, in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Dean, B.A., and the Rev. George Blackley, M.A. is the present curate. There is one service each Sabbath, in the morning at 11, and in the afternoon at 3, alternately; John Stail is the parish clerk.
There is a Free School at Broomsberrow, supported by Osman Ricardo, Esq., and conducted on [wiki title=“Monitorial_System”]Dr Bells system.[/wiki]
Allen C. farmer, Holly Bush
Allen William, beerseller, Cammers Green
Boulter J., farmer, Parsonage
Bull F. shopkeeper, Whiting
Chichester T. farmer, The Shots
Cox Philip, wheelwright, Mason’s Pitch
Daw W., farmer, Hays Farm
Evans W., shopkeeper, Cammers Green
Goatman John, machine maker, Portway
Hastey Robert, blacksmith
Hawkins G., farmer, Hallidays
Hawkins John, farmer, Whiting Ash
Hughes Robert, farmer, Berrow Court
Jones George, farmer, Rye Court
Mace I. shopkeeper, Whiting
Mantom W. farmer, Farleys
Martin T. farmer, Hill End
Mills Jacob, vict. Duke of York
Ricardo Osman, Esq. Broomsberrow Place
Rivers Charles A., schoolmaster, Broomsberrow
Selwyn Mrs. —, Dingle Cottage
Stail J. carpenter, Whiting Lane
Stephens Mrs. Hannah, Cammers Green
Stock J. farmer, Underhills
Warren Richard, blacksmith
Webb R. farmer, Cockshutt
Winnall John, farmer, Hawthorn
To ABERYSTWITH; the Royal Mail, from London, calls at the Duke of York every morning at 8.
To CHELTENHAM; the Royal Mail, calls at the Duke of York every evening at half past 5.
To WORCESTER; Thomas Clay and Thomas Hart, every Saturday.
Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.
Berrow, 5 miles from Upton-upon-Severn, containing 71 houses, and 397 inhabitants.
Bennett Wm, farmer
Bray Wm., farmer
Clay Thomas, farmer
Cocks Richard, Esq.
Hawkins George, farmer
Higgins Samuel, farmer
Mace Isaac, farmer
Nappin John, farmer
Perkins Thomas, farmer
Sevill Thomas, farmer
Stock Charles, farmer
Thackwell Rev. Mr.
Webb Richard, farmer
Whittle John, farmer
Yeomens Michael, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.