Mamble with Bayton, Worcestershire

Photo of St Bartholomew's church, Bayton by Derek Harper, some rights reserved.

Mamble has a separate entry Here

Ecclesiastical Parish: Mamble with Bayton, created in 1669 from Mamble Ancient Parish and Bayton Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Mamble and Shakenhurst.

The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew

Parish registers begin: 1737

Nonconformists in Mamble with Bayton Ecclesiastical Parish: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Bayton

  • Lindridge
  • Far Forest
  • Rock with Heightington
  • Neen Sollars with Milson
  • Cleobury Mortimer

Historical Description of Bayton

Bayton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Bayton, a parish in the district of Cleobury-Mortimer and county of Worcester; on the verge of the county, 6 miles W by S of Bewdley r. station. It has a post office under Bewdley. Acres, 1,960. Real property, £2,587. Pop., 447. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Mamble, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bayton, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Doddingtree, county of Worcester; 6 miles west by south of Bewdley. Living, a discharged vicarage united with that of Mamble. The great and small tithes, moduses, &c., the property of the vicar, were commuted in 1814. There are two daily and two Sunday schools here. Pop., in 1801, 389; in 1831, 445. Houses 88. Acres 1,960. A.P. £1,904. Poor rates, in 1837, £121.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Bayton, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester, 1¾ mile (SE. by S.) from Cleobury-Mortimer, containing 466 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king‘s books at £5. 0. 2½., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Bayton – a parish in Doddingtree hundred, lower division, 6 miles W.S.W. from Bewdley, and 134 from London; containing 86 inhabited houses, on the borders of Shropshire. The church has lately been repaired, and the tower rebuilt at the expense of the late Meysey Wigley, Esq., of Shakenhurst, in this parish. Here are several coal-pits, that supply the adjacent parishes. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Hereford and archdeaconry of Salop; Rev. Thomas Davies, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, the King. Population, 1801, 389 – 1811, 403 – 1821, 466.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Shakenhurst

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Shakenhurst, a hamlet in Bayton parish, Worcester; 1 mile SW of B. village. S. House is the seat of C. Wicksted, Esq.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Shakenhurst, in the parish of Bayton, 8 miles from Bewdley, the residence of Mrs. Wigley.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Bayton Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Shakenhurst Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Hundred: Doddingtree
  • Province: Canterbury