Alvechurch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: the village of Alvechurch and the hamlets of Forhill, Hopwood and Lea End in the north, Barnt Green in the west and Rowney Green and part of Weatheroak Hill in the south.
The village has a number of medieval half-timbered buildings, as well as a plethora of Georgian, Edwardian and Victorian buildings.
The church of St Laurence dates back to 1239. It is situated on high ground, and was probably the site of an earlier Mercian church, although nothing remains of the earlier wooden building. Much of the church was rebuilt between 1858 and 1861 by William Butterfield.
Nonconformists in Alvechurch include: Baptist, General Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
[su_note note_color=“#ffffff”][map]Alvechurch Worcestershire[/map][/su_note]
Alvechurch means “Ælfgyth’s Church.” In the eighth century, Ælfgyth founded a church on the site of the church of St. Laurence.
King Offa of Mercia gave the land forming the parish to Bishops of Worcester in 780. The parish is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1068 as “Alvievecherche” with a small population of under 20 people. In the 13th Century the Bishop of Worcester built a palace in the village, and a weekly market and an annual fair were established.
The Bishop’s Palace was pulled down in the 17th century, the only remnants being part of the moat and a yew tree which formerly stood in the palace grounds.
From the 19th century to the mid twentieth century there was a brick factory in the hamlet of Withybed on the edge of the village. Other local industries included nail and needlemaking.
Alvechurch, a village and a parish in Bromsgrove district, Worcester. The village stands adjacent to the Worcester and Birmingham canal, and to the Redditch branch of the Bristol and Birmingham railway, near Icknield-Street, 5 miles NE of Bromsgrove; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bromsgrove. It was formerly a borough; and it had, from the time of Henry II. till the time of Charles I., a palace of the Bishops of Worcester. Fairs are held on 3 May and 11 Aug. The parish is cut, for local purposes, into the sections of Yields of Town-Green, Barn-Green, Ferrill with Hopwood, and Lea End. Acres, 6,747. Real property, £12,518. Pop. 1,713. Houses, 352. The property is much subdivided. A chief residence is Bordesley Park, 1½ mile SE of the village. A tunnel of the canal, nearly 3 miles long, begins at Hopwood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1,200. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church, excepting the tower, was recently rebuilt, at a cost of £3,200. There are a mission chapel, a Baptist chapel, an endowed school with £36 a year, and charities £33. Moore, the nonconformist, and Hicks, the author of “Thesanrus,” were rectors. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Alvechurch, 4 miles N.E. Bromesgrove. P. 1633 Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Alvechurch, a parish in the division of Northfield, and hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Bromsgrove, Worcestershire; 4½ miles east-north east from Bromsgrove, and 2 west of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory, a peculiar of the see of Worcester, and in the patronage of the bishop; rated at £24 16s. 8d.; gross income, in 1822, £1,027. There is a work-house here founded in 1816. The revenue of this charity is £36 a-year. An hospital for nine persons was founded by Nicholas Lewknor of Hadzor, in 1580, and incorporated by Queen Elizabeth. The yearly income of the charity is £33 6s. 8d., which is distributed among the inmates of the hospital. The other charities connected with the parish produce £12 7s. per annum. There are seven daily and three Sunday schools. The Worcester and Birmingham canal passes through this parish. Alvechurch was formerly a borough, but has fallen greatly into decay. The bishops of Worcester had a palace here. Pop., in 1801, 1,228; in 1831, 1,548. Houses 307. Acres 6,820. A. P. £10,176. Poor rates, in 1837, £599. Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Alvechurch – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 5 miles E.S.E. from Bromsgrove, and 117 from London; containing 269 inhabited houses. The Birmingham and Worcester canal passes through this parish, and forms a junction with the Stratford and Avon at King’s Norton. Alvechurch was formerly a market town, containing several streets, now decayed; and the Bishops of Worcester had a palace here. The church is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and north aisle, partly of Saxon architecture, with a square tower pinnacled, of more modern date. Here is a good free grammar school and hospital, founded by Nicholas Lewknor, of Hadsor, in 1580. The living is a rectory, not subject to the jurisdiction of the Archdeacon; Rev. J. F. Tonyn, incumbent; instituted 1801; in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 1228 – 1811, 1344 – 1821, 1413. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Allchurch (Worc.) a village situated in the road to Leicester, through which the Roman way called Ickneld-street passes. It has an old church, containing many antique monuments; an alms-house, founded in 1580, and a charity school for 20 poor children. Formerly Allchurch was a borough, and market town, aud contained several streets, the very names of which are now forgotten. Here also was formerly a palace belonging to the see of Worcester. Distant from Bromsgrove 5m. Population, 1344. Fairs. Apr. 22, and St. Lawrence’s Day. Source: Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.
Alvechurch, though now in decay, has formerly been a place of considerable consequence, if we may judge from the names of the streets, which now retain little more than their appellation. Its church is ancient, and is dedicated to St. Lawrence; it is evidently Saxon, but with a more modern built tower, and six tuneable bells: it has also some monuments. Here are two fairs annually for cattle, sheep, and lambs, on the 22nd of April, and the 10th of August the day of its patron saint. Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Barn-Green a hamlet in Yardley parish, Worcester; near the Birmingham and Bristol railway, 4 miles NE of Bromsgrove. It has station on the railway. See Alvechurch. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Bordesley-Hall, in the parish of Alvechurch, 5 miles from Bromsgrove, the residence of Henry Guest, Esq.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Ballard H. P., dairyman, High House farm
Baseley T K, butcher, The Square
Bird T, baker, Wharf bakery
Blundell F, boot maker, Swan st
Boulton H W, dairyman, Leys farm
Brewer G, Chimney sweep, Swan st
Bryant G, stone mason, Swan st
Burham C, dairyman, Grange farm
Butcher G, grocer
Corbett F, miller & corn merchant, Alvechurch mill
Foster C F, saddler, collar & harness maker, Birmingham rd
Foster W, shoeing & general smith, The Square. Smiths work in general; repairs of all kinds promptly attended to on most reasonable terms.
Furber T, builder, Swan st
Hanks J, baker & confectioner, Birmingham rd. Families waited on daily and supplied with pure home-made bread on reasonable terms.
Hanks J, confectioner and baker, The Square
Henderson J A, brewer & maltster, Birmingham rd
Knight and Son, mineral water manfrs
Ladies School, Birmingham rd – Principal, Miss Whitehouse
Lloyds Bank, Ltd, Birmingham rd – J Partridge, agent
Merryfield B, general dealer, Red Lion st
Morley J, general dealer, Red Lion st
Partridge H, wheelwright, Birmingham rd
Pierce J A, surgeon, Birmingham rd
Portman G, Prudential agent, Birmingham rd
Reading W H, butcher
Red Lion Hotel, Birmingham rd – J A Henderson, propr. Home-brewed ales, Allsopp and Sons ales, & Guinness’s stout; wines and spirits of the best quality.
Redding J, carrier
Ryland T, bookseller & stationer, Post Office, The Square
Smith J, general dealer, Swan st
Swann Inn – F J Newbould. Good accommodation for visitors and pleasure parties and others. Fine home-brewed ales; wines and spirits of the finest quality; good stabling
Ward H, painter, Swan st
Whitehouse Miss, ladies school
Whittle J, boot maker, Red Lion st
Winn W H, patent brick works
Wilson J B & Son, grocers & drapers, The Square
Withers T A & Son, coal merchants, New wharf
Wright W H, dairyman
Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Worcestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.