Alderminster, Worcestershire

Photo of The Minster and Parish Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross, Alderminster, Warwickshire by David Stowell, some rights reserved.

Alderminster is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Alderminster was an exclave of Worcestershire until 1931, when it was transferred to Warwickshire. When rural district councils were created in the 1890s, Alderminster was part of Shipston on Stour Rural District. When the parish was transferred to Warwickshire it became part of Stratford on Avon Rural District.

In the Domesday Book (1086) Alderminster is shown as part of the land of St Mary’s of Pershore, in Pershore Hundred, Worcestershire. In 1884 the village is shown on a map as consisting only of a few houses. The Minster and Parish Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross is of 12th century origin. The church has been listed Grade II* since 1967.

Church: St Mary and the Holy Cross

Parishes adjacent to Alderminster

The Minster and Parish Church of Saint Mary and The Holy Cross, Alderminster, Altar. Interior. The copyright on this image is owned by Alexander P Kapp and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Marriages at Alderminster 1613 to 1812

Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.

Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed

Note. – The Registers of this Parish from 1628 to 1812 are contained in five volumes, which may be thus described :-

Volume I, containing Baptisms 1628-1689, Marriages 1641-1688, Burials 1650-1687; a parchment book in very bad state, but consisting of 14 leaves, measuring 15 ½ by 6 inches. It has no entries between 1638-54.

Volume II, Containing Baptisms and Burials 1691-1794, and Marriages 1699-1754; a parchment book in bad condition, but having 47 leaves, measuring 11 ½ by 7 inches.

Volume III, containing Marriages only 1784-1791; a paper book of 21 leaves, which measure 8 by 4 ¾ inches.

Volume IV contains Baptisms and Burials 1795-1812, and has 6 leaves of parchment.

Volume V, a paper book containing the remainder of the Marriages, and numbered in the following as Volume V. It is of paper, and measures 8 by 4 ½ inches.

The Registers are printed, after collation with the originals, with the consent of the Rev. Robert Thrupp, Vicar, having been extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, Rector of Whitchurch.

The Marriages prior to 1641 have been copied from the original returns preserved in the Bishop’s Registry at Worcester

Marriages at Alderminster 1613 to 1812 - Archive.org

Transcriptions

Alderminster Marriages 1613 to 1697
Alderminster Marriages 1698 to 1753
Alderminster Marriages 1754 to 1775
Alderminster Marriages 1776 to 1799

Historical Descriptions of Alderminster

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Alderminster, a parish in the district of Stratford-on-Avon and county of Worcester; on the river Stour and on the Stratford and Moreton railway, 5 miles SSE of Stratford. It has a post-office under Stratford. Acres, 3,167. Real property, £3,777. Pop., 520. Houses, 105. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £170. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is cruciform, with a low tower, and partly Norman. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Alderminster, 5 miles N. Shipston. P.508 Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Alderminster (St. Mary), a parish, partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, but chiefly in the Upper division of the hundred of Pershore, union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Blockley and E divisions of the county of Worcester, of which it is a detached portion, surrounded by Warwickshire, 5 miles (SSE) from Stratford; containing 508 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 3000 acres; it is bounded on the south-west by the river Stour, and has a great variety of soil. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7; the patronage and impropriation belong to the Crown. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £188. 4. 6., and those of the incumbent for £160. 19. 6.; the glebe comprises 20 acres in this parish, and 3 ½ acres in that of Bengworth, near Evesham, Worcestershire. The church is a curious cruciform edifice, with a low tower; the nave is in the Norman style. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Alderminster, a parish, partly in the hund. of Oswaldslow, and partly in the hund. of Pershore, county of Worcester, of which it is an insulated portion, being completely surrounded by Warwickshire. It is in the union of Stratford-on-Avon, and 6 miles south-south-east of the town of that name; on the Moreton and Stratford railroad. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £7; in the parliamentary returns at £41 14s. 6d.; gross income £170; and in the patronage of the Crown. The church has the form of a cross, with a low tower. Pop., in 1801, 363; in 1831, 454. Houses 94. Acres 3,480. A. P. £3,831. Poor rates, in 1837, £196 Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Alderminster, a parish partly in the upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, but chiefly in the upper division of the hundred of Pershore, being a detached portion of the county of Worcester, surrounded by Warwickshire, 5 miles (S.S.E.) from Stratford upon Avon, containing 443 inhabitants. The living is a discharged Vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king‘s books at £7., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the gift of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a curious cruciform edifice, having a low tower; the nave displays the Norman style of architecture. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Alderminster – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division, 6 miles N. from Shipston-upon-Stour, and 89 from London; containing 90 inhabited houses; entirely surrounded by Warwickshire. It is a vicarage; Rev. W. Price, incumbent; instituted 1812; Patron, the King. Population, 1801, 363 – 1811, 389 – 1821, 443. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Kineton
  • Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
  • Hundred: Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury