Abbots Morton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish of Abbots Morton incorporates the hamlets of Morton Spirt, The Low and Gooms Hill as well as the village of Abbots Morton.
Church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1728
A national schoolroom at Goom’s hill was built in 1844.
Abbots Morton (4m. S.W. Alcester), a sequestered village containing many timber-framed cottages, most of them thatched. Church (St. Peter), chancel, nave, N. transept and modern vestry, S. porch and W. tower. Part of N. wall of nave 12th cent., chancel mid-14th cent., transept (rebuilt) and tower somewhat later. The latter, of two stages, has W. window with tracery of flamboyant tendency, remains of gargoyles, and a low saddle-back roof within an embattled parapet. The S. doorway is of 15th cent., and the S. chancel wall contains a 16th cent. doorway and a 3-light window of the same date with peculiar tracery (cf. Broadway). Within note: (i) the 12th cent. font (re-cut); (ii) that there is no chancel arch, but a tympanum resting on an ancient beam, below which is a modern screen; (iii) altar rails 17th cent.; (iv) roofs ancient with embattled wall plates in chancel; (v) the E. window containing some Flemish glass, 1590, scenes from the life of David, given by G. J. Walker in 1841. The N. window of the transept contains some ancient glass together with the Walker crest and shield of arms. There is a late 14th cent. bell with royal heads from a Worcester foundry inscribed: “Virgenis Egregie Vocor Capana Maria.”
Source: The Little Guides, Worcestershire by F. T. S. Houghton. Methuen & Co. Ltd. London. Second edition. 1939.
Abbots-Morton, a parish in the district of Alcester and county of Worcester; 6 miles N by E of Fladbury r. station, and 7 WSW of Alcester. It has a post-office under Bromsgrove. Acres, 1,420. Real property, £2,091. Pop., 245. Houses, 57. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £146. Patron, G. J. A. Walker, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Morton (Abbot’s), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Blackenhurst, county of Worcester, 5½ miles (W. S.W.) from Alcester, containing 236 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £8., and in the patronage of T. B. Eades, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Abbots-Morton, a parish in the lower division of Blackenhurst hund., Alcester union, Worcestershire; 10 miles east from Worcester, and 6 from the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £8; gross income, £155. Patron, in 1835 Thomas Eades, Esq. Pop. in 1801, 191; in 1831, 233. Houses 52. Acres 1,420. A. P. £1,563. Poor rates, in 1837, £75.
Source: The Parliamentary gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Morton, Abbot’s, or Stony, co. Worcester.
P. T. Evesham (90) 7 m. N b W. Pop. 230.
A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Blackenhurst; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 8l.; church ded. to St. Peter; patron, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Abbots Morton – a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, lower division, 8 miles N.N.E. from Evesham, and 104 from London, containing 44 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; Rev. John Eades, incumbent; instituted 1796; patron, T. B. Eades, Esq. Population, 1801, 191 – 1811, 231 – 1821, 236.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Abbottsmorton, a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, Worcester, 4 miles from Evesham, and 100 from London; containing 40 houses and 191 inhabitants. It is a rectory, value 8l.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Abbot’s Morton is a parish situate 12 miles E. of Worcester, 9 N. of Evesham, and 6 S.W. of Alcester; is in the eastern division of the county, Lower Blakenhurst hundred, Alcester union, Pershore petty sessional division and county court district, Inkberrow polling district, Upton Snodsbury highway district, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry, and Feckenham rural deanery. The population in 1861 was 245, and in 1871, 213; inhabited houses, 49; families or separate occupiers, 57. The acreage is 1,420; annual rateable value, £2,033. The soil is a stiff clay with marly subsoil, producing good wheat, barley, and beans. Two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture; surface elevated, and the brook Piddle runs through the parish. Mr. Henry Perks and the trustees of the late Mr. Thomas Cowley are lords of the manor, and besides them the principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Rev. Thomas Walker (glebe), Mrs. Walker, Mr. William Perks, and Mr. Joseph Partington. This parish was given towards building the monastery at Evesham as early as the year 708, and here the abbots had one of their country manor-houses. The site of the “Court Close,” near the church, with traces of the moat and some remains of old timber structures in the village, are objects of antiquarian interest. The church of St. Peter, which is chiefly of the Decorated style, having a north chapel and western tower embattled, contains some stained glass of the date 1590, representing the history of David and the Giant. The building has been well restored. It was one of those churches in the celebrated vale of Evesham which formed the subject of litigation between the abbots of that house and the bishops of Worcester, which ended in the bishops’ jurisdiction being ousted from them all except from Abbot’s Morton. The parish register begins with the year 1728. The living is a rectory, value about £200, in the patronage of George James Alexander Walker, Esq., of Norton-juxta-Kempsey. The tithes were commuted for land in 1802; the glebe comprises 167 acres, with a house. The Rev. Thomas Walker, M.A., St. John’s College, Cambridge, the present rector, was instituted in 1861. A national schoolroom at Goom’s hill was built in 1844 by subscription, and the late rector presented the site. It is under Government and Diocesan inspection.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Redditch. The letter-box is cleared at 4.40 p.m. Alcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Redditch.
Parish Church (St. Peter’s). – Rev. Thomas Walker, M.A., Rector; Messrs William Edward Lyes and John Skinner, Churchwardens; Daniel Hewlett, Sexton.
National School (mixed), Goom’s hill. – Miss Abigail Harris, Mistress.
Walker Rev. Thomas, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Ballard Thomas, farmer, Spirt
Briney George, farmer
Bullock Wm., shoeing and general smith
Clinton Solomon, boot and shoe maker
Dowding John, farmer, boot and shoe maker, and shopkeeper
Harris Miss A., schoolmist, Goom’s hill
Harris Miss Miriam Jane, shopkeeper
Hay William, pig butcher
Hewlett Daniel, parish sexton
Lyes William Edward, farmer, Rectory farm; res., Ab Lench, near Evesham
Partington Joseph, farmer and landowner; res., Rous Lench
Pugh Henry, farm bailiff, Low farm
Roberts John, farmer
Roberts Mrs. Sarah, farmer, Spirt
Skinner John, farmer, High house
Smith Herbert, farmer
Tipping John Robert, Red Lion Inn, and farmer, Goom’s hill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Abbot’s Morton is a parish and scattered village, pleasantly situated 12 miles E. of Worcester, on the road from that city to Alcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 235 inhabitants.
This parish derived its name from the Abbots of Evesham Monastery having selected this spot for one of their residences. In the reign of William the Conqueror, Ranulph, Abbot of Evesham, resided here. The site of some ancient buildings near the church, with races of the moat, which originally surrounded them, and gable-ended buildings of timber frame-work, still remain. By references to ancient history, we find that the church of Abbot’s Morton was given, with others, to build the monastery at Evesham, by Kenred, King of Mercia, in the year 708. after the dissolution of religious houses, this estate, with others belonging to the monastery, became the property of Sir Philip Hoby, and afterwards passed to various persons by purchase.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, consists of nave, chancel, north chapel, and western tower, with embattlements, pinnacles, and diagonal buttresses. The eastern chancel window is a fine specimen of stained glass, containing scriptural devices. The church is in the decorated style, but possesses little of historical or antiquarian interest. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of George J. A. Walker, Esq. Rev. Thomas Walker, M.A., Rector; Rev. Alfred West, Curate; Mr. William Harris, sen., Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 2 30 p.m.
The National School was erected in 1845, by subscription, the site being given by the Rector, and is principally supported by that gentleman. It is under Government inspection. Miss Isabella Bonaker, Mistress. Average number of children, 60.
Walker Rev. Thomas, M.A., Rector, Rectory
West Rev. Alfred, Curate
Briney Thomas, farmer
Briney Thomas, jun., shopkeeper and baker
Cowley William, farmer
Cowley William R., farmer
Farr Henry, farmer
Garfield John, blacksmith
Garfield Richard, carpenter
Harris Reuben, farmer, Parsonage
Harris William, sen., Parish Clerk
Harris William, jun., farmer, baker, shoe maker, and shopkeeper
Hay William, butcher
Partington Thomas, Overseer and Collector of Taxes
Perks Thomas, farmer
Skinner William, Bailiff to – Williams, Esq., The Low Farm
Wixon Thomas, victualler and tailor, Red Lion
Post Office – Miss Isabella Bonaker, Sub-Postmistress. Arrival, 10 30 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Abbotts Moreton is a parish and village 12 miles E. from Worcester, 8 N. from Evesham, and 5 S.W. from Alcester. The parish contains 1,400 acres, and 260 inhabitants The living is a Rectory, in the gift of G. J. A. Walker, Esq., of Norton-juxta Kemsey, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Walker, M.A., Prebendary of Wolverhampton. The church is situated at the S.W. end of the village, and is an ancient stone building, capable of seating about 180 people; service once each Sunday, alternately morning at 11, and afternoon at 3. William Harris is clerk, and a Sunday School is taught in connection with the Church.
Angell John, constable
Briney Thomas, farmer
Cowley William, farmer
Farr Charles, farmer
Garfield John, blacksmith
Garfield Richard, carpenter
Harris John, farmer
Harris Naboth, farmer, Glebe farm
Harris W. parish clerk
Harris W. shopkeeper and shoemaker
Perks William, farmer
Sandles Elizabeth, vict. Red Lion, Goom’s Hill
Surman Jane, shopkeeper
Walker Rev. Thomas, M.A. Rectory, Goom’s Hill
Webber R. farmer, Lowe-farm
White Harry, shoemaker
Wixon Thomas, tailor
Source: Bentley’s history, guide, and alphabetical and classified directory, of the borough of Evesham of the market towns of Pershore, Shipston-upon-Stour, and Upton-upon-Severn, and the villages of Broadway and Great Malvern; and an history and alphabetical directory of seventy-eight parishes in the county south of the city of Worcester … forming vol. III of Bentley’s history, directory, and statistics of Worcestershire. Published 1840 by Printed for the proprietor, by Bull & Turner in Birmingham.
Abbott’s Morton, 4 miles from Evesham, containing 40 houses, and 191 inhabitants.
Angell John, farmer
Cotterell Thomas, farmer
Cotterell Charles, farmer
Cowley W. sen. farmer
Cowley W. jun. farmer
Eades Rev. J.
Gilbert John, farmer
Moore Edward, farmer
Payton John, farmer
Perkes, Thomas, farmer
Roberts Benj., farmer
Singles Elizabeth, vict.
Surman John, Baker &c.
Tandy Joseph, farmer
Webber Richard, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.