Sutton Under Brailes is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire. It was formerly a detached parish of Gloucestershire which was transferred to Warwickshire in 1844.
Parish church: St. Thomas à Becket
Parish registers begin: 1715
Sutton-under-Brails, a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick; 7 ¼ miles NE by E of Moreton r. station. Acres, 1,135. Rated property, £1,651. Pop., 227. Houses, 47. The manor belongs to Sir P. V. Pole, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £313. Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Sutton-under-Brails (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the union of Shipston, Upper division of the hundred of Westminster, county of Gloucester, though locally in the hundred of Kington, county of Warwick, 5 miles (SE) from Shipston; containing 232 inhabitants. The parish, for electoral purposes, is wholly annexed to the southern division of Warwick. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 13. 4.; net income, £313; patron, the Bishop of London. The tithes were commuted for land and an annual money payment in 1804; there is a rectory-house, built in 1825, and the glebe contains about 180 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Note. – The Marriages in this Parish are contained in four small Volumes, Unfortunately, however, those registered from 1599 to 1716 inclusive are missing.
The oldest Volume is a small book of parchment, the outer leaf left blank and ending abruptly at its eighth page. It measures 7.75 by 5.5 inches, and has as a heading –
The Register Booke of Sutton-under-Brailes in The Countie of Glouc. beginninge In the year of our Lord God, 1577.
Volume II is of parchment bound in a cover of the same material. It measures 16.5 by 7.5 inches, and contains Baptisms, Burials and Marriages. It is in good condition, and some of the latter are entered in the 3rd Volume.
Volume III is of paper and consists of 25 pages, measuring 8.5 by 6.5. The paper has the Britannia Watermark.
Volume IV is an official folio.
The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. H. Bloom and printed under his supervision with the consent of the Rev. J. C. Bradley, Rector.