Stratford on Avon is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Warwickshire. Luddington is a chapelry of Stratford on Avon.
Other places in the parish include: Welcombe, Wilncott, Shottery, Bridgtown, Dodwell, Clopton, Bushwood, and Drayton.
Parish registers begin: 1574
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Trade: the town had a large trade in corn and malt.
Manufacturing: Beer and needles
STRATFORD-ON-AVON, a municipal borough and market and post town of England, in Warwickshire, chieﬂy celebrated as the birthplace of Shakspeare, 8 miles S.W. from Warwick. It is situated on the Avon, which is crossed here by a bridge of fourteen arches. The town contains several broad and handsome streets, some of which, however, are irregularly built. The houses are, for the most part, substantial edifices of stone. The public buildings are the church, a chapel that formerly belonged to the guild of the Holy Cross, a new Roman Catholic chapel, corn-exchange, inﬁrmary, alms houses, pump-rooms, and the town-halI. There are also several chapels for nonconformists. The church is a spacious and venerable structure, containing numerous monuments and inscriptions. The most remarkable is the monument and bust of Shakspeare, The chapel of the Holy Cross is a handsome structure, and has been recently restored. Attached to it is a hall for the brethren of the guild, part of which is used as a free grammar-school, and an alms house. The town-hall, rebuilt in 1767, and again repaired and enlarged in 1863, contains portraits of Shakspeare and Garrick, and has a statue of the former in a niche in the front of the building. Stratford also possesses a small theatre and a Shakspearian and public library. In Henley Street is the house in which Shakspeare was born; but that in which he died was razed to the ground by the proprietor. The house in Henley Street is now the property of the nation, and through the exertions of J. O. Halliwell, Esq., an able editor of, and commentator on, Shakspeare’s works, has been restored and converted into a Shakspearian Museum, in which several relics of England’s ﬁrst dramatic author have been preserved. The town has a large trade in corn and malt. Manf. Beer and needles. Mar. D. Fri. Pop. 3672. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Stratford-on-Avon branch of the Great Western Railway between Leamington and Honeybourne.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.