Salford Priors is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Cock Bevington, Bevington, Wood Bevington, Dunnington, Pitchell, Parkhall, Irons Cross, and Rushford.
Church: St. Matthew
Parish registers begin: 1568
Nonconformists in Salford Priors include: Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Roman Catholic church: Our Lady and St Anthony, Abbots Salford.
Salford, a parish in the Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, county of Warwick, 5¾ miles (S. by W.) from Alcester, containing 813 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £9, endowed with £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lady Skipwith. The church is dedicated to St. Matthew. The river Avon and its tributary stream, the Arrow, runs through the parish. William Perkins, in 1656, gave £232 for the support of a free grammar school; the annual income, now upwards of £40, is applied to instructing, in English, the children of parishioners; the classics were formerly taught, but they have of late years been discontinued. An ancient mansion, the property of Mr. Berkeley, is now occupied as a nunnery, the society consisting of an abbess, sixteen professed nuns, and a school for young ladies, noviciates. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.