Brails, April 10
Brails, 3¾ miles E. Shipston-on-Stour. P. 1284. Source: Leonards Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Brailes, a parish and village in the Brailes division of the hund. of Kington, union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Warwickshire; 4½ miles east by south of Shipston-upon-Stour. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; valued at £25; gross income £344. Patron, in 1835, S. Thornton, Esq. The great and small tithes, the property of the lay-impropriator and vicar, were commuted in 1784. The Roman Catholics have a chapel here. Here is a school founded in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, with an annuity of £8 1s. 8d., and since augmented to £64 8s. 2d. It is free to all poor children resident in the parish. There are also 3 daily schools in this parish, besides a day and Sunday school, and two Sunday National schools. The hills in this parish present fine prospects. A fair is held here on Easter Tuesday for horses, cows, and sheep. Pop., in 1801, 980; in 1831, 1,272. Houses 255. Acres 5,220. A. P. £11,196. Poor rates, in 1838, £631 17s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Brailes (St. George), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Brailes division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Shipston; containing, with the hamlets of Chelmscott and Winderton, 1284 inhabitants. Prior to the Conquest, this lordship was in the possession of Edwin, Earl of Mercia; and subsequently, including the hamlets of Chelmscott and Winderton, it yielded to the Conqueror “no less than £55 yearly, with 20 horse loads of salt”. Henry III., in 1248, granted a charter for a market to be held here on Monday, which has been long discontinued; also a fair, on the eve of the festival of St. George and the two following days, now inconsiderable. In the 13th of Edward I., William de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, then owner of the manor, claimed by prescription, and was allowed certain privileges; viz., a gallows, with assize of bread and beer. The parish contains 5407 acres of land, of which about 2000 are arable and 3000 pasture; the village is situated on the turnpike-road to Banbury, and is of considerable extent.
There is a manufactory for livery shag, plush, &c., in which nearly 100 persons are employed. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £25; net income, £344; patron, Samuel Thornton, Esq.; impropriator, George Bishopp, Esq., M.D. Under an inclosure act passed in 1784, land and annual money payments were assigned, in lieu of all tithes and moduses, for Lower Brailes. The church was probably erected in the time of the Conqueror, and was given, in the reign of his son, Henry I., to the canons of Kenilworth; it is a large and handsome edifice, combining the early, decorated, and later English styles, with a lofty tower supported by tall buttresses, and crowned with battlements and pinnacles, containing six bells; the interior was modernised in 1824. A guild, consisting of a warden, brethren, and sisters, was founded in the church by Richard Nevill, Earl of Warwick; the revenue, in the 37th of Henry VIII., was £18. 13. 2., out of which a grammar school was then supported. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends and Roman Catholics. A free school, probably founded about the end of the reign of Henry VIII., is endowed with an improved income of £70. There are also a school for girls, and one for infants, besides a school for Roman Catholic children; and several bequests have been made for the benefit of the poor, of which the principal is one by William Prestidge in 1732, now producing £36 per annum. There was anciently a chapel at Chelmscott, in which a chantry for four priests was founded by Thomas de Pakinton, of Brailes, in 1322. In Upper Brailes, at the distance of 1¼ mile from the church, is a chalybeate spring, the water of which has been used with considerable advantage in cases of scrofula.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.