Astley, 6 miles E. Coleshill P. 371.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
ASTLEY, a parish in the Kirby division of the hund. of Knightlow, union of Nuneaton, Warwickshire; 4 1⁄2 miles west-south-west from Nuneaton; on the Sow brook. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £10, and endowed with £16 per annum; gross income £60. Patron, in 1835, F. Newdigate, Esq. The chapel is only a part of the original building, which suffered much in the early part of the 7th century. Astley castle, once the abode of Henry Grey, marquis of Dorset, father of Lady Jane Grey, is still a tenantable residence, though much of it is dismantled. “In the 17° Edward III.,” says Tanner, “Sir Thomas de Astley obtained leave of the king and the ordinary, to change the chantry, which he had here founded some years before, into a dean and secular canons, and then erected here, in the form of a cross, a beautiful collegiate church to the honour of the assumption of the blessed Virgin. It consisted only of a dean, two canons or prebendaries, viz. of Milverton and Wolvey, and three vicars, besides clerks and servants, and was valued, 26° Henry VIII. at £46 0s. 8d. The site was granted to Henry, marquis of Dorset, 38° Henry VIII.” Pop., in 1801, 251; in 1831, 340. Houses 58. Acres 2,550. A. P. £3,277. Poor rates, in 1837, £320. — About 2 1⁄2 miles east from Astley is Arbury hall, a fine Gothic mansion, which owes much of its elegance to the taste of the late Sir Roger Newdigate.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.