Ansley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Parish registers begin: 1637
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Primitive Methodist.
Ansley, a parish in the Atherstone division of the hund. of Hemlingford, union of Atherstone, county of Warwick; 5 miles west by north from Nuneaton, on the head-source of the Bourne. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £6 6s. 8d.; in the parliamentary returns at £127 18s.; gross income, in 1832, £134. Patron, in 1835, the Crown. Here is a free school, with a small endowment, now connected with the National society, at which about 50 children are educated. There are an Independent chapel and school here. The yearly income of charities connected with this parish is £47 14s. 8d. There are some vestiges of Ansley castle. The church exhibits some portions in the early Norman style, and has at the west end a square tower of considerable beauty. Pop., in 1801, 544; in 1831, 773. Houses 160. Acres 3,580. A. P. £3,275. Poor rates, in 1837, £317.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Ansley, 5 miles W. Nuneaton. P.701
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.