Status: Ancient Parish Parish church: St. Elliw / St. Ellwy Alternative names: Llanelli, Bryn Mawr Other places in the parish include: Blackrock, Llanelly Hisllside, Clydach, Darenfelen, Gilwern and Maesgwartha. Parish registers begin: 1701 Nonconformists include:...
Breconshire Family History Guide
Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870
BRECKNOCK, or BRECON, a county of S. Wales, bounded N. by Radnor, W. b Cardigan and Carmarthen, S. by Monmouth and Glamorgan, and E. by Hereford and Monmouth. Desc. Mountainous, and about a third of the whole entirely waste and uncultivated. Rivers. Wye, Usk, Yrfon, Tawe, and the Taf, formed by the junction of the Taf Fechan and the Taf Fawr. Minerals. Copper, lead, abundance of iron, and great quantities of coal and limestone. Manf. Woollen cloth, wool, worsted stockings ; and there is a trade in timber, iron, cattle, sheep, swine, butter, and cheese. Ext. about 35 miles in length, by 30 in breadth. Area, 460,150 acres, or 719 square miles. Pop 61,627. In this county are Brecknock Beacon, which is the loftiest hill in S. Wales, being 2862 feet, and Cradle Mountain, or Pen Cadcr, 2660 feet above the level of the sea.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Brecknockshire, a county of South Wales, is bounded, North by Radnorshire, East by Herefordshire and Monmouthshire, South by Monmouthshire and Glamorganshire, and West by Cardiganshire and Carmarthenshire. It is about 35 miles long, and 30 broad. Rivers: the Uske, the Wye, the Irvon, the Tawe, and the Taf. It is divided into six Hundreds – Builth, Crickhowell. Devynnock. Merthyr, Penkelly, and Talgarth. It has four Market Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Llandaff, and in the Southern Circuit. Population, 55,603.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Other names: Brecknockshire
Area (1851): 443,133
Pop. (1851): 59,178 (29,993 males; 29,185 females)
- Defynnog (Devynock)
- Llanafan Fawr
- Llanafan Fechan / Llanfechan
- Llanbedr Ystrad Yw
- Llanddeti / Llanthetty
- Llanddewi Abergwesyn
- Llanddewi’r Cwm
- Llandefalle / Llandyfalle
- Llandeilo’r Fân
- Llandulas / Tirabad
- Llandyfaelog Fach
- Llandyfaelog Tre’r-graig
- Llaneleu / Llanelieu
- Llanelli / Llanelly
- Llanfaes (Brecon St David)
- Llanfeugan / Cross Oaks
- Llanfihangel Abergwesyn
- Llanfihangel Brynpabuan
- Llanfihangel Cwm Du (St Michael Cwmdu)
- Llanfihangel Fechan
- Llanfihangel Nant Brân
- Llanfihangel Tal-y-llyn
- Llanfilo / Llanfillo
- Llangasty Talyllyn
- Llangatwg / Llangattock
- Llangenni / Llangenny
- Llangors / Llangorse
- Llanllywenfel / Llanllwynfel / Llanlleonfel
- Llansbyddyd / Llanspyddid
- Merthyr Cynog
- Nant Ddu / Capel Nant Ddu
- Partrisio / Patrishow
- Pen-pont / Betws Pen-Pont
- Tirabad (Llanddulas / Llandulas)
- Trallwng / Trallong
- Tretower / Tretwr
- Y Faenor / Vaynor
Brecon consists of the following parishes: Brecon, St David – Lower Division (Llanfaes) Brecon, St John The Evangelist – Upper Division Brecon, St Mary Nonconformists include: Independents, Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, and Roman Catholics Brecon,...
The following are the principal inhabitants: Gentlemen Corrie Robert, Esq. Hughes Samuel, Esq. Justice of Peace James William Morgan, Esq. Justice of Peace Jeffreys Walter, Esq. Justice of Peace Lloyd J. Bullock, Esq. Lloyd...
Status: Ancient Parish Alternative names: Llanddewi-Cwm Parish church: St David Parish registers begin: Baptisms & Burials 1765, Marriages 1755 Nonconformists include: Public elementary school built in 1864 for 35 children. Parishes adjacent to Llanddewi’r Cwm...
13½ miles (N.N.E.) from Llandovery. This parish, which comprises one of the wildest and least cultivated tracts in the county, derives its name from the dedication of its church, and from the little river...
Status: Ancient Parish Parish church: St Cynog Parish registers begin: Baptisms & Burials 1720; Marriages, 1754 Nonconformists include: Parishes adjacent to Battle Llanfihangel Nant Bran St John Brecon Aberyscir Llandefaelog-fach Merthyr Cynog Historical Descriptions The...
Status: Ancient Parish Parish church: St. Mauritius Parish registers begin: Included in Llanafan Fawr Adjacent Parishes Llanddewir-cwm Gwenddwr Aberedw Etymology The name Alltmawr signifies the great woody mount. Alternative names for Alltmawr: Altmaur Allt-Fawr Churches Alltmawr...
Status: Ancient Parish Alternative names: Aberysker Parish church: St. Mary; St. Cynidr Parish registers begin: 1721 Nonconformists include: Independents (chapel at Abegyscir) Parishes adjacent to Aberyscir Llanfihangel Nant Bran Trallong Battle Llanspyddid St John Brecon Historical...
Status: Ancient Parish Alternative names: Three Cocks Parish church: Originally St Eigon Parish registers begin: see Glasbury The site of St Eigon’s church stands some 50m south-east of the castle and is now barely visible in an...
Hay is 153 miles from London. It has a market on Saturday; and three fairs, on May 17, August 12, and October 10. It is seated between the rivers Wyall and Dulas, on the...