Adderstone Northumberland Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845


English: Adderstone House Adderstone is a town...
English: Adderstone House. Adderstone is a township in the parish of Bamburgh, Northumberland in which Adderstone House is the chief residence. There was a lot of building work going on at this time, with a nearby steading conversion. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Adderstone, a township, in the parish of Bambrough, union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough ward and of Northumberland, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Belford; containing 302 inhabitants. The manor was possessed by the ancient family of Forster, from whom it came, in 1763, to John William Bacon, Esq., by whom the present handsome mansion, which stands near the site of the old hall, on the west bank of the Warn, was erected, and whose successor sold the estate to J. Pratt, Esq. Twizell House is also situated in the township.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.