Upper Arley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Over Arley
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
Arley (Upper), a parish in the district of Kidderminster, and county of Stafford; in the southwestern projection of the county, on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, at Arley r. station, 4½ miles NNW of Bewdley. It has a post office under Bewdley. Acres, 3,912. Real property, £9,031. Pop., 886. Houses, 158. Arley Hall here is the seat of Viscount Valentia: and there is an ancient camp in the woods of its park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £255. Patron, Viscount Valentia. The church is conspicuously situated, and has a fine prospect. Charities, £35.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Areley, Upper (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Kidderminster, S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and of the county of Stafford, 5½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Kidderminster; containing 667 inhabitants. The village occupies a romantic situation near the margin of the river Severn, and the parish comprises 3803a. 3r. 12p.: a thin stratum of coal is worked, and there are quarries of red freestone, of which large blocks are raised for building, and which is also used for grindstones and millstones. Areley Hall is the residence of the Earl of Mountnorris, who, when Viscount Valentia, published his interesting travels in the east. The living is a perpetual curacy; patron and impropriator, Lord Mountnorris. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £391. 7., and those of the incumbent for £305: the impropriate glebe consists of 199 acre; the glebe belonging to the incumbent contains only about a quarter of an acre, on which the glebe-house stands. The church is situated on an eminence commanding a fine prospect. A school is supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The registers of Over Areley, formerly in the County of Stafford, Diocese of Lichfield, and Deanery of Trysul, now in the County and Diocese of Worcester, and Deanery of Kidderminster, 1564-1812
Transcribed by the Rev. H. R. Mayo
Published 1916 by Privately printed for the Worcestershire Parish Register Society in [Worcester, England].