CHESTERTON, a township in Wolstanton parish, and a chapelry in Wolstanton and Audley parishes, Stafford. The township lies adjacent to the North Stafford railway and the Grand Trunk canal, 2 miles WNW of Burslem; and has a post-office under Stoke-upon-Trent. Real property, £5,506; of which £1,000 are in mines. Pop., 2,459. Houses, 500. The property is much subdivided. A castle stood here before the Conquest; but has disappeared. The chapelry consists of the township, with part of Audley parish; and was constituted in 1846. Pop., 4,067. Houses, 847. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is recent, in the early English style, with handsome tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and other Methodists.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].