Yockleton, Shropshire Family History Guide

Holy Trinity Church Yockleton. Attribution: John M / Holy Trinity Church / CC BY-SA 2.0

Holy Trinity Church Yockleton. Attribution: John M / Holy Trinity Church / CC BY-SA 2.0

Yockleton is a village and ecclesiastical parish, situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Montgomery, six miles from the former town, in the Southern division of the county, Atcham union, Ford hundred, and diocese of Hereford. By an Order in Council, dated June 7, 1862, this district was constituted “a separate benefice and rectory, by the name of the rectory of Yockleton,” to be under the charge of the rector of Westbury in sinistra parte, who was thenceforth to be styled rector of Yockleton. The church of Holy Trinity, consecrated in 1861, is a beautiful building, of stone from the Carlesden quarries, and faced with Grinshill stone, in the Early English style.

Other places in the parish include: Newton, Stoney Stretton

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin:

Nonconformists include:

Historical Descriptions

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Yockleton, a township, in the parish of Westbury, union of Atcham, hundred of Ford, S. division of Salop, 6 miles (W by S) from Shrewsbury. The tithes have been commuted for £175. 9. 6., of which £36. 8. 6. are payable to the impropriators.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Directories

Yockleton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Yockleton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871