Skip to content

Wrockwardine Wood, Shropshire Family History Guide

Former Wrockwardine Wood Methodist Church, Wrockwardine, Shropshire. The inscribed stone reads: Primitive Methodist Chapel, re-erected MDCCCLXIII [1863] 'The glory of this latter house shall be greater than of the former, saith the Lord of hosts' Haggai II IX. Attribution: Mike White / Wrockwardine Wood Methodist Church / CC BY-SA 2.0


Wrockwardine Wood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1834 from Wrockwardine Ancient Parish.

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin: 1833

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Wrockwardine Wood

  • Lilleshall
  • Wombridge
  • Wellington
  • Priors Lee
  • Donington Wood

Directories

Wrockwardine Wood Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Wrockwardine Wood became and ecclesiastical parish distinct from Wrockwardine in 1847; is a township in the civil parish of Wrockwardine, from which place it is distant 5 miles. The church of the Holy Trinity is a brick building, erected in 1833. The living is a rectory, having been made such by the purchase of the great tithes, which were formerly in the possession of the Orleton family, augmented to about £200 yearly, with residence and six acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. There is a National school for boys and girls. There are three chapels for the Methodists and Primitive Methodists. The minerals are ironstone and coal. The collieries are principally the property of the Duke of Sutherland, and are held on lease by the Lilleshall Company. The population in 1861 of the district was 3,637, of the township 3,317; the acreage is 502.

The Trench is a straggling hamlet, principally in the township of Wrockwardine Wood but also extending into Eyton-on-the-Weald Moors; it is nearly a mile from the former place.

Letters through Wellington.

WROCKWARDINE WOOD

Lloyd Mr. John, Wrockwardine villa

McCarthy Samuel, esq.

Matthews Mr. Thomas

Russell Rev. Arthur Tozer, B.C.L.

Bullock John, miller

Chilton William, blacksmith

Cook John, farmer, Trench Lodge

Downing William, painter

Dunkey Richard, grocer

Fenn Charles, shoe maker

Fewtrell William, grocer

Green Edward, grocer

Jones Sarah, Bull’s Head inn

Lee Daniel, blacksmith

McCarthy Geo. David Richard, surgeon

Moss William, butcher

Porter Joseph, White Horse inn

Richards Hugh, plumber

Roscoe John, shoe maker

Stones Francis, grocer

Tranter Richard, Queen’s Head inn

Wem George, farmer

THE NABB

Freeman John, shopkeeper

Harper Thomas, shoe maker

Morris Joseph, shoe maker

THE TRENCH

Bennett John, esq.

Slaney Mr. Henry

Wakeley Mr. Richard

Batkin John, butcher

Bullock James, farmer

Deakin John, butcher

Dean John, butcher

Green Lucy, Shaw Birch inn

Gregory James, tailor

Johnson James, farmer

Latham James, farmer

North Benjamin, Crown inn

Roden Thomas, Duke of York inn

Webb Sarah, King’s Arms inn

Webster Samuel, farmer

Woodfin John, Dun Cow inn

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Newport
  • Poor Law Union: Wellington
  • Hundred: South Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury